- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Refractive surgery
- Surgical lacrimal
- Video and telephone consultations
I am a full time Consultant Ophthalmologist & Oculoplastic Surgeon working at both NHS (www.cddft.nhs.uk) and Private (BMI Woodlands) since 2003.I was the Clinical Governance Lead (2003-2008) Undergraduate (2003 -2016) and Postgraduate Tutor (2008-2011), Educational supervisor for F1 and F2 as well as ST at this Trust. I am a Senior Mentor and Appraiser for the Trust.I have been an Examiner for the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh since 2008.I wish to continue to serve the patients of United Kingdom as a Consultant ophthalmologist. I wish to continue training juniors, promote my profession to the wider world, take part in educational and research programmes as well as maintain my Examinsership skills.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery;Glaucoma; Lacrimal disorders; Oculo-plastics including lids/lacrimal/Orbital surgery; Neuro-ophthalmology including Botulinum Toxin; Paediatric ophthalmology; Medico-legal services as Expert Witness, Refractive Lens exchange and Multifocal lenses
- Medical Secretary of Mr Partha Chakraborty
- DMH Hollyhurst Road Darlington DL3 6HX
- 01325 743697
- 01325 743151
Current NHS consultant posts held
Present Appointment since August 2003: Consultant Ophthalmologist & Oculoplastic Surgeon at County Durham and Darlington NHS Acute Hospitals NHS Trust(www.cddft.nhs.uk) . The core duties includes on call commitment, two general theatre sessions, one Oculoplastics theatre session, four clinic sessions including two subspecialty clinics at Darlington Memorial hospital,Bishop Auckland General hospital and UHND.
RESEARCH & INNOVATION
1. Dissertation: As a part fulfilment of the MD degree I submitted a dissertation on
"Anti-nuclear Antibodies(ANA) in Pseudo-Exfoliation(PXF) Syndrome this study was accepted by the panel of examiners as a part of my MD degree in ophthalmology.
2. Clinical research--Study to assess the effects of sedation for ocular surgery under local anaesthesia. The drugs used for sedation was midazolam and fentanyl. This study has been presented at the CME approved Ocular anaesthesia conference (1999) organised at St. Helens Hospital.
3. Clinical research- To study the effect of oral acetazolamide and topical apraclonidine in the control of raised intraocular pressure (IOP) after phacoemulsification.
4. Clinical Research on TED, Minimonaka on Functional Epiphora, Two stage operation for periocular cancer service.
My subspecialty interest is Oculoplastics and for this I undertook a formal Surgical Fellowship programme in 1999, recognised by the Mersey Deanery and the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.I was the Clinical Governance and Audit Lead for the directorate 2003-2006.
I was the Departmental College Tutor for the undergraduates/postgraduates from August 2008 till 2011
2. Awarded Fellowship at Royal Society of Medicine 2014
1. P.Chakraborty, Tin U, J.R. Villada. “ Medical control of intraocular pressure” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Feb2000: 26(2): 162
2. P.Chakraborty, Tin U, J.R.Villada correspondence ‘ A comparison of the effectiveness of dorzolamide and acetazolamide in preventing postoperative intraocular pressure rise following phacoemulsification surgery’ Journal of The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Dec 1999:44(6): 411-412
3. P. Chakraborty. ‘ The Day I dropped a Nucleus’ Eye-News June-July 2000: 7(1): 36
4. P. Chakraborty et al ‘Role of auto-immunity in pseudo-exfoliation syndrome’ abstract in EYE Aug2001:38 as a part of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists Annual Congress, 22-24 May 2001, Birmingham.
5. P.Chakraborty, M.T.Watts ‘Endolaser DCR Audit’ abstract in EYE as a part of British Oculoplastic Surgery Society (BOPS) inaugural meeting at Birmingham 2001 RCO congress.
6. P.Chakraborty, M.T.Watts ‘ Learning curve of Endolaser DCR’abstract in 99TH Annual meeting of the German Society of Ophthalmology 29th October 2001:250.
7. K.C Madhusudhana, P Chakraborty ‘The challenge of determining aqueous contamination rate in anterior segment of intraocular surgeries’ American Journal of Ophthalmology 2004:138(4):687
8. K.C Madhusudhana, P Chakraborty ‘ Missing Subtarsal Foreign Body’ American journal of Family Physician 2005:0515
9.K.C. Madhusudhana,P Chakraborty ‘Differential Biometry and it’s effect on IOL calculation’ abstract at ESCRS 2005
10. P Chakraborty, S Ghosh ‘Modified LTS plus Everting Suture for Lower Lid Entropion Surgery’Abstract @ RCO Congress 2006
11.P Chakraborty, R Mukhopadhaya ‘Ocular Myopathy of Wegener’s Granulomatosis’ EYE(2006) 00,1-3
12. P Chakraborty, I Masri ‘Thirty one year old Foreign Body’ Photoessay Eyenews(Dec/Jan2011) 17,4. 63
13 D lunt,C Mathews, P Chakraborty ‘A case of Bilateral Orbital MaltLymphoma’ DCDMJ 2011 51-53
14 S Pasu, P Chakraborty ‘Orbital epithelial implantation cyst presenting 40 years after orbital trauma’OJOph Feb13
15 M Sigona, M Mckenna, P Chakraborty ‘Delayed Skin Graft in Surgical Treatment of Periorbital Necrotosing Fascitis’ RCO Congress Abstracts 2014 118
16. M C Markham, P Chakraborty Innovative Surgical Approach for Upper Lid Entropion secondary to Ocular Pemphigoid RCO Congress 2016
Courses offered to GPs
GP Forum Day- 27th September 2017 at Excel-Newton Aycliffe, Durham
Chairing NEOS at Redworth Hotel 2008
BOPPS Annual 2015: ‘Delayed Skin Graft in Necrotising Fascitis’
BOPPS Annual meeting 2016: ‘Innovative Surgical Approach for Upper Lid Entropion secondary to Ocular Pemphigoid’
RCO Congress 2014: ‘Delayed Skin Graft in Necrotising Fascitis’
RCO Congress 2016 Innovative Surgical Approach for Upper Lid Entropion secondary to Ocular Pemphigoid
Oculoplastics: Entropion/Ectropion : recurrence rate 1.6%, Ptosis-anterior approach 94% success, DCR-external 91% success with no major complication so far,
Trabeculectomy audit May 2008: 88% success rate on FX based partial thickness sclera flap with or without 5FU/Mitomycin C
Radioactive Iodine or Thyroid surgery Audit : which one causes more problems for TED.
Cataract Audit(2015): PC Rupture rate: 4/605, Endophthalmitis : none/605, Dropped Nucleus: None for since 2003, Patient satisfaction excluding comorbidity: 97%, Patient complaints: none, Personalised A Constant : 118.6
National Periocular cancer audit :BCC Audit (2015): Recurrence of 2.88% compared to Moh’s 2.5%
- MBBS Madras University 1985
- DO Ophthalmology JIPMER 1989
- MS Ophthalmology JIPMER 1990
- FRCS Ophthal Edinburgh RCSEd 1993
- FRCOphtal Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1993
- Fellowship in Oculoplastics Mersey Deanery 1999
Reference number 4133922
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- NEOS North of England Ophthalmic Society 2008
- Fellow of Royal Society of Medicine Royal Society of Medicine 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, 2003
- MCI India, 1990
Affiliations / memberships
BMA- 1993, NEOS
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 07751 976007
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: parthachakraborty007