- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Vipul Patel is a Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon dealing in problems of the Shoulder, Elbow, Hand and Knee. His NHS practice is at Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals and the South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre (SWLEOC). He was instrumental in setting up the shoulder and elbow service at SWLEOC.
Mr Patel has helped develop the BOA/ BESS commissioning guidance for managing shoulder problems.
Mr Patel has been in Consultant practice since 1999. Mr Patel offers a one-stop clinic with clinical assessment, imaging with x-rays and ultrasound as well as treatments such as image-guided injections where appropriate at the first visit. Mr Patel has expertise in treating fractures and dislocations as well as sports injuries of the shoulder and elbow. Mr Patel has extensive experience in arthroscopic, replacement and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder and elbow, performing 350-400 operations annually.
Areas of interest
All conditions of the shoulder and elbow;
Shoulder arthroscopy; Subacromial decompressions; Capsular release; Rotator cuff repairs; Shoulder stabilisation; Labral repairs; Acromioclavicular joint repairs; Shoulder resurfacing; Total Shoulder replacement; Reverse shoulder replacement;
Elbow arthroscopy; Tennis elbow; Elbow stiffness; Elbow replacement;
Hand conditions eg carpal tunnel syndrome; ganglions; DeQuervain's tenosynovitis, etc;
Knee conditions eg meniscal tears; loose bodies,
- Malaben Patel
- Spire St. Anthonys Hospital 801 London Road Cheam Sutton SM3 9DW
- 020 8335 5586
- 020 8335 4642
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon,
Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
Health-related quality of life after shoulder surgery,
Outcomes following shoulder surgery,
Clinical Excellence Award Level 5
English, Hindi, Gujarati
1. “Elbow hemiarthroplasty using a triceps-on approach for acute distal humeral fractures”. Phadnis J, Banerjee S, Little N J, Watts A, Hearnden A and Patel V R, J. Shoulder & Elbow Surg. 2015; 24: 1178-86.
2. “Improvement in quality of life after arthroscopic capsular release for contracture of the shoulder” Dattani R, Ramasamy V, Parker R and Patel V. R. Bone Joint J 2013; 95-B: 942-6.
3. “Blood loss and the need for transfusion after shoulder surface replacement” Singh V. K., Trehan R. J., Banerjee S, Bardakos N. V. and Patel V. R. Shoulder & Elbow 2013; 5(2): 100–105.
4. “Venous thromboembolic complications in shoulder and elbow surgery: a systematic review” Dattani R, Smith C and Patel V. R. Bone Joint J 2013; 95-B:70-4.
5. “Diagnosis of partial thickness rotator cuff tears: description of a new diagnostic sign and a review of the literature”. Dattani R, Patel V R. Shoulder & Elbow 2011; 3(3): 143–147.
6. “Symptomatic coracoclavicular joint: incidence, clinical significance and available management options.” Singh V K, Singh P K, Trehan R, Thompson S, Pandit R & Patel V. Int Orthop. 2011; 35(12): 1821-6
Courses offered to GPs
Sports injuries of the shoulder and elbow
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.njrsurgeonhospitalprofile.org.uk/SurgeonProfile?gmccode=4132952
- MBBS Gujarat University 1986
- MS(Orth) Gujarat University 1988
- FRCS Royal College Of Surgeons of England 1991
- FRCS(Orth) Intercollegiate Specialty Board (UK) 1998
- Higher Surgical Training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery St George's and affiliated hospitals, Southwest Thames Training Scheme 1999
- Research Fellowship in Adult reconstruction University of Maryland and johns Hopkins University, Baltimore 1996
Reference number 4132952
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Regional Clinical Co-ordinator National Joint Registry 2016
- Clinical Quality Lead Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association,
British Elbow and Shoulder Society,
The Royal College of Surgeons of England,
British Trauma Society,
AO Trauma and AO UK,
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Ashtead Hospital The Warren ASHTEAD KT21 2SB
- 14:00 - 16:30
- 01372 221400
- Spire St Anthony's Hospital
- 08:30 - 11:30
- 020 8337 4678
- Spire St Anthony's Hospital
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 020 8337 4678
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
02083355586 (During office hours)
02083376691 (Spire St Anthonys Hospital - out of hours)