- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
I trained at the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, University of London, and qualified as a doctor in 1994, attaining my Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery degree (MBBS). I completed my pre-registration House Officer training in General Medicine and General Surgery, before embarking on my training in Psychiatry in North London. I trained in a range of psychiatric specialities including General Adult Psychiatry, Old Age Psychiatry, Eating Disorders Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Forensic Psychiatry. I attained my Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 1999 and after higher training in Psychiatry I attained GMC specialist registration in 2002. I obtained my first Consultant Psychiatry post in the NHS in 2002 at Chase Farm Hospital. I continue to practice as a Consultant Psychiatrist in the NHS in the area of Forensic Psychiatry, treating the complete range of mental disorders in adults. In addition to my clinical work in the NHS, I am active in a number of medical management roles including chairing the Hospital Trust Drugs & Therapeutics Committee since 2012, acting as an Appraiser of Consultant and non-training grade medical doctors since 2011 for the purpose of assessing a doctor's continuing fitness to practice, and acting as a panel member of medical student fitness to practise hearings at University College London since 2009. I am an accredited Clinical Supervisor for training grade psychiatrists. I attained Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2011. I have 7 NHS Clinical Excellence Awards.
I have been in private practice as a Consultant Adult Psychiatrist since 2004. I am in private practice at The Priory Hospital Roehampton, Priory Lane, Roehampton, London SW15 5JJ and at the Nightingale Hospital, 11-19 Lisson Grove, Marylebone, London NW1 6SH. I also have practicing privileges at The Blackheath Hospital, 40-42 Lee Terrace, London SE3 9UD and at The Princess Grace Hospital, 42-52 Nottingham Place, London W1U 5NY.
I run my private outpatient clinics from 10 Harley Street, London W1G 9PF and The Blackheath Hospital, 40-42 Lee Terrace, London SE3 9UD, and currently admit patients for private hospital treatment under my care to The Priory Hospital Roehampton, and Nightingale Hospital, Lisson Grove.
I assess and treat mood disorders, psychotic illnesses, benzodiazepine dependence, and personality disorders. I have extensive experience in medico-legal report writing and as an Expert Witness in Magistrates, Crown and Coroners’ Courts. I am bilingual in English and Arabic.
Areas of interest
Mood disorders (Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Phobias, Bereavement, Bipolar Affective Disorder);
Psychotic Illnesses (Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Delusional Disorder);
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Cardiac conditions
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
- Rheumatological conditions
Current NHS consultant posts held
Chase Farm Hospital
7 Clinical Excellence Awards
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Conversational
1. S W Mikhail, H G Kennedy. Homicide, novel antipsychotics, and noncompliance. Lancet 2000; 355: 1189
2. H G Kennedy, S W Mikhail. Advantages of depot antipsychotics. Lancet 2000; 356: 594
3. S. Mikhail, A. Akinkunmi, N. Poythress. Mental Health Courts: a workable proposition? Psychiatric Bulletin 2001; 25; 5-7
4. A.J Krentz. S. Mikhail, G. Hill, P. Cantrell. Drug Points: Pseudo-phaeochromocytoma syndrome associated with clozapine. British Medical Journal 2001; 7296; 1213
5. Contributor to Edinburgh International Encyclopaedia for Psychoanalysis (2006).
6. An Independent Investigation into the Care and Treatment of Mr R, February 2012; A report for NHS London, Undertaken by Niche Health & Social Care Consulting.
7. An independent investigation into the care and treatment of a mental health service user (MC) in Bristol, May 2014; A report for NHS England, Undertaken by Niche Health & Social Care Consulting.
- BSc (Bachelor of Science) Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, University of London 1991
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, University of London 1994
- MRCPsych (Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists) Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK 1999
- FRCPsych (Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists) Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK 2011
- Dip. Criminol (Diploma in Criminolgy) Birkbeck, University of London 2005
Reference number 4099570
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chair of Drugs & Therapeutics Committe Chase Farm Hospital, Barnet Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust 2018
- Appraiser for Consultant medical colleagues and non-training grade doctors Chase Farm Hospital, Barnet Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust 2018
- Fitness to Practise Panel Meetings of University College London Medical School University College London 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Psychiatry, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
MRCPsych 1999, FRCPsych 2011
Faculty of Forensic Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Faculty of General Adult & Community Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Faculty of Eating Disorders, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Faculty of Addictions Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists
- 10 Harley Street, London W1G 9PF
- 09:00 - 17:30
- 020 7467 8343
- Blackheath Hospital 40-42 Lee Terrace LONDON...
- 09:00 - 16:30
- 020 8297 4500
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Tel: 020 7535 7700