- Not Fee assured
- Verified account
I trained at the Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, University of London, and qualified as a doctor in 1994, attaining my Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degree (MBBS). I completed my pre-registration House Officer training in General Medicine and General Surgery, before beginning my training in Psychiatry in North London. I trained in a range of psychiatric specialities including General Adult Psychiatry, Old Age Psychiatry, Eating Disorders Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Forensic Psychiatry. I attained my Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 1999 and after higher training in Psychiatry I attained GMC specialist registration in 2002. I obtained my first Consultant Psychiatry post in the NHS in 2002 at Chase Farm Hospital. I continue to practice as a Consultant Psychiatrist in the NHS in the area of Forensic Psychiatry, treating the complete range of mental disorders in adults.
In addition to my clinical work in the NHS, I am active in a number of medical management roles including chairing the Hospital Trust Drugs & Therapeutics Group since 2012, and acting as a panel member of medical student Fitness to Practise hearings at University College London since 2009. Between 2011 and 2019 I acted as an Appraiser of Consultant and non-training grade medical doctors for the purpose of assessing a doctor's continuing fitness to practise. I am an accredited Clinical Supervisor for training grade psychiatrists. I attained Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists in 2011. I have 7 NHS Clinical Excellence Awards.
I have been in private practice as a Consultant Adult Psychiatrist since 2004. I am in private practice at The Priory Hospital Roehampton, Priory Lane, Roehampton, London SW15 5JJ and at the Nightingale Hospital, 11-19 Lisson Grove, Marylebone, London NW1 6SH. I also have practicing privileges at The Blackheath Hospital, 40-42 Lee Terrace, London SE3 9UD, at The Harley Street Clinic, 35 Weymouth Street, London W1G 8BJ, and at The Princess Grace Hospital, 42-52 Nottingham Place, London W1U 5NY.
I run my private outpatient clinics from 78 Harley Street, London W1G 7HJ, and The Blackheath Hospital, 40-42 Lee Terrace, London SE3 9UD, and admit patients for private hospital treatment under my care to The Priory Hospital Roehampton, and Nightingale Hospital, Lisson Grove.
I assess and treat mood disorders, psychotic illnesses, benzodiazepine dependence, and personality disorders. I have extensive experience in medico-legal report writing and as an Expert Witness in Magistrates, Crown and Coroners’ Courts. I am bilingual in English and Arabic.
Areas of interest
Mood disorders (Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Phobias, Bereavement, Bipolar Affective Disorder);
Psychotic Illnesses (Schizophrenia, Schizoaffective Disorder, Delusional Disorder);
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Cardiac conditions
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Neurological disorders
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
- Rheumatological conditions
Current NHS consultant posts held
Chase Farm Hospital
7 NHS Clinical Excellence Awards
Highly Commended Doctor of the Year Award - Barnet Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust Celebrating Excellence Awards 2019
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Conversational
1. S W Mikhail, H G Kennedy. Homicide, novel antipsychotics, and noncompliance. Lancet 2000; 355: 1189
2. H G Kennedy, S W Mikhail. Advantages of depot antipsychotics. Lancet 2000; 356: 594
3. S. Mikhail, A. Akinkunmi, N. Poythress. Mental Health Courts: a workable proposition? Psychiatric Bulletin 2001; 25; 5-7
4. A.J Krentz. S. Mikhail, G. Hill, P. Cantrell. Drug Points: Pseudo-phaeochromocytoma syndrome associated with clozapine. British Medical Journal 2001; 7296; 1213
5. Contributor to Edinburgh International Encyclopaedia for Psychoanalysis (2006).
6. An Independent Investigation into the Care and Treatment of Mr R, February 2012; A report for NHS London, Undertaken by Niche Health & Social Care Consulting.
7. An independent investigation into the care and treatment of a mental health service user (MC) in Bristol, May 2014; A report for NHS England, Undertaken by Niche Health & Social Care Consulting.
8. Tim David, Sherine Mikhail. Professional discipline and the optimal approach to the construction and use of written apologies. Irish Law Times 2021.
- Dip. Criminol (Diploma in Criminolgy) Birkbeck, University of London 2005
- FRCPsych (Fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists) Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK 2011
- BSc (Bachelor of Science) Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, University of London 1991
- MRCPsych (Member of the Royal College of Psychiatrists) Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, UK 1999
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery) Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine, University of London 1994
Reference number 4099570
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Appraiser for Consultant medical colleagues and non-training grade doctors Chase Farm Hospital, Barnet Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust 2019
- Chair of Drugs & Therapeutics Group Chase Farm Hospital, Barnet Enfield & Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust 2021
- Fitness to Practise Panel Meetings of University College London Medical School University College London 2021
Details of entry to specialist register
- Psychiatry, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
MRCPsych 1999, FRCPsych 2011
Faculty of Forensic Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Faculty of General Adult & Community Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Faculty of Eating Disorders, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Faculty of Addictions Psychiatry, Royal College of Psychiatrists
Independent Doctors Federation 2019
- 78 Harley Street, London W1G 7HR
- 09:00 - 15:30
- 07388 086822
- Blackheath Hospital 40-42 Lee Terrace LONDON...
- 09:00 - 16:30
- 020 8297 4500
Post treatment communication
Tel: 020 7535 7700