- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Video and telephone consultations
I was appointed as a Consultant in HIV and Genitourinary medicine at the Royal Free Hospital and Barnet Hospital in 2005, having trained in GUM/ HIV medicine at Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals.
My clinical practice includes screening and management of sexually transmitted infections e.g. chlamydia, herpes infections, genital warts, gonorrhoea, thrush and bacterial vaginosis; as well as, more chronic problems e.g. recurrent discharge, erectile dysfunction, prostatitis/NSU and vulvodynia/ vestibulitis; and general HIV management, including PEP and PrEP.
My NHS work is based at the Royal free Hospital and was Lead Clinician for HIV (Barnet site) and Head of services for the Department for 6 years.
My specialist and research interests are in herpes infections and Women’s health, particularly in the management of recurrent or chronic vaginal discharge; and in the Antenatal care of women with blood bourne viruses/STIs, including HIV.
I am actively involved in evolving and improving sexual health and HIV services, through research; and through education to colleagues, including GPs to increase awareness of presentations of sexually transmitted infections.
I am always happy to see private patients when they need to be seen, including evenings and weekends. I understand people sometimes need a sympathetic ear and as a rapid service as possible.
I treat all my patients as individuals, and make sure all their concerns and queries are fully discussed and addressed.
Areas of interest
Sexual health screening and prevention;
Vaginal and penile discharge;
Recurrent thrush/ Candida and bacterial vaginosis; Genital warts management;
HIV / AIDS - general management with special interest in HIV in Women and antenatal care
PEP and PrEP
- (NHS secretary only)
- Royal free hospital (Barnet site) Wellhouse Lane BARNET EN5 3DJ
- 020 7794 0500
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Genitourinary and HIV Medicine
Royal Free NHS Foundation hospitals
Specialist interest in:
management of genital Herpes and Warts
Chronic vaginal and penile infections
Specialist interest in STIs in women and antenatal care of women with blood bourne viruses.
I am enthusiastic skier and tennis player and enjoy the outdoors wherever possible by running, trekking and swimming. Because I very much love Italy, particularly its food, culture and its gelato(!), I'm also learning Italian (slowly!)
Recent publications include:
R SHAH, T Wambigu - 'HIV/AIDS: An Atlas of investigation and Management' - chapters x 4 on ‘HIV in pregnancy’ ‘Pre-exposure PEP’ &` Discordant HIV‘ – Clinical Publishing 2012
– Won ‘BMA Best book of the year’ in Public Health Category Sept 2012
Courses offered to GPs
Course organiser and lecturer on STIF (Sexually transmitted infections foundation course)
Regular invited speaker on GP training days.
- MBBS Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine 1995
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1998
- FCRP Royal College of Physicians 2009
- Diploma of Genitourinary Medicine (Dip GUM) Society of Apothecaries of London 2002
- Diploma of Sexual and Reproductive Health (DFSRH) Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare 2002
- Certificate and Letter of Competence in subdermal implant insertion Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive health 2014
Reference number 4098971
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Head of services and Clinical lead Royal Free hospital (Barnet site) 2014
- Clinical HIV lead Royal Free hospital (Barnet site) 2014
- Antenatal lead for Blood bourne infections including HIV Royal Free Hospital (Barnet site) 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Genitourinary Medicine , 2004
Affiliations / memberships
BHIVA (British HIV Association) Member
BASSH (British Association of Sexual Health & HIV) Member
Member of national BHIVA HIV Pregnancy Committee, contributing to guidelines and original research in this cohort.
Member of BASSH Specialist Interest Groups on sexual violence, sexually transmitted infections in young people and education in STIs in community pharmacists
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.