- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a London based Consultant Physician in Genitourinary Medicine, HIV and Sexual Health, with wide ranging experience in the management of Sexually Transmitted Infections, and sexual health issues, and in HIV.
My focus is to always put patients at their centre of their care, providing a sympathetic ear, a holistic and supportive approach, and a sensitive, discreet service.
I was appointed as a Consultant in HIV and Genitourinary medicine at the Royal Free Hospital and Barnet Hospital in 2005, having completed my Specialist training in GUM/ HIV medicine at Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals.
My clinical practice includes the screening and management of Sexually transmitted infections eg chlamydia, herpes infections (HSV), trichomoniasis (TV); genital warts (HPV), gonorrhoea, thrush and bacterial vaginosis (BV); sexual dysfunction; and in HIV management, including PEP and PrEP.
Additionally, my specialist interests are in the management of recurrent or chronic genital conditions including herpes (HSV), thrush, bacterial vaginosis (BV), balanitis, non-specific urethritis (NSU) and warts (HPV); painful sex; in general management of HIV; in Women’s Health, particularly in the management of recurrent or chronic vaginal discharge; and in HIV management.
I am also a keen advocate of raising awareness, and reducing stigma and preconceptions of STIs, and am therefore actively involved in improving sexual health care, through on-going research and education and in my clinical practice.
I understand patients want to be seen as rapidly as possible, and have their questions answered, so I aim to offer flexibility to accommodate patients for when they want to be seen, including evenings and weekends and through telephone consultations, if required.
I am fully committed to providing high quality personalised care, always ensuring all concerns are fully addressed.
Areas of interest
Sexual health screening and prevention;
Vaginal and penile discharge;
Recurrent thrush (Candida)and BV (bacterial vaginosis);
Genital warts management;
Sexual dysfunction including painful sex
Molluscum contagiosum treatment;
Specialist interest in management of chronic and recurrent genital conditions
HIV / AIDS - general management with special interest in HIV in Women and antenatal care;
PEP and PrEP;
HPV (human papilloma virus) vaccination;
Hepatitis A and B screening and vaccination;
Cervical (PAP) smear and contraceptive advice.
- Video and telephone consultations
- nhs page : https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/services/staff-a-z/dr-rimi-shah/
- doctify link: https://www.doctify.co.uk/specialist/dr_rimi_shah
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant in Genitourinary and HIV Medicine
Royal Free NHS Foundation hospitals
Specialist interest in:
management of genital Herpes and Warts
Chronic vaginal and penile infections
Specialist interest in STIs in women, including chronic discharge; and in antenatal care of women with blood bourne viruses.
I am an enthusiastic skier and tennis player and enjoy the outdoors wherever possible by running, trekking and swimming regularly. Because I very much love Italy, particularly its food, culture and its gelato(!), I'm also learning Italian (but very slowly!)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Gujarati - Conversational
Recent publications include:
R SHAH, T Wambigu - 'HIV/AIDS: An Atlas of investigation and Management' - chapters x 4 on ‘HIV in pregnancy’ ‘Pre-exposure PEP’ &` Discordant HIV‘ – Clinical Publishing 2012
– Won ‘BMA Best book of the year’ in Public Health Category Sept 2012
Courses offered to GPs
Course organiser and lecturer on STIF (Sexually transmitted infections foundation course)
Regular invited speaker on GP training days.
- MBBS Royal Free Hospital School of Medicine 1995
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1998
- FCRP (Fellow of Royal College) Royal College of Physicians 2009
- Diploma of Genitourinary Medicine (Dip GUM) Society of Apothecaries of London 2002
- Diploma of Sexual and Reproductive Health (DFSRH) Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare 2002
- Certificate and Letter of Competence in subdermal implant insertion Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive health 2014
Reference number 4098971
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Head of services and Clinical lead Royal Free hospital (Barnet site) 2014
- Clinical HIV lead Royal Free hospital (Barnet site) 2014
- Women's / Antenatal lead for Blood bourne infections including HIV Royal Free Hospital (Barnet site) 2015
- Course Director GP STI/ HIV Education Royal Free Hospital (Royal Free and Barnet sites) 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- Genitourinary Medicine , 2004
Affiliations / memberships
BHIVA (British HIV Association) Member
BASSH (British Association of Sexual Health & HIV) Member
Serving Member of national BHIVA HIV Pregnancy Committee, contributing to guidelines and original research in this cohort.
Member of BASSH Specialist Interest Groups on sexual violence, sexually transmitted infections in young people and education in STIs in community pharmacists
Royal Society of Medicine
Fellow of Royal College of Physcians
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.