- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
I am an experienced Gastroenterologist with a broad interest in gastrointestinal and liver disease, including irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's and colitis), dyspepsia (indigestion and reflux), abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhoea and abnormal liver test results.
I am an accredited Bowel Cancer Screening colonoscopist and am an examiner within the National Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. This means that I examine other consultants who are trying to become accredited screeners.
I have an interest in therapeutic endoscopy and have a vast experience in endoscopic procedures including gastroscopy, colonoscopy, ERCP, and flexible sigmoidoscopy. My colonoscopy performance data show that I have a very high completion rate, polyp detection rate, and good comfort scores. I am the Clinical Lead for Endoscopy at Cheltenham General Hospital and at the Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital.
Areas of interest
Irritable bowel syndrome; Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis); Dyspepsia (indigestion); Nausea and vomiting; Constipation; Diarrhoea; Abdominal pain; Bowel cancer screening; Colonoscopy; Endoscopy; gastroscopy; Flexible sigmoidoscopy; ERCP
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist Cheltenham General Hospital
I am a season ticket holder at Gloucester Rugby.
1. Vaughan-Shaw PG, Cutting J, Borley N, Brooklyn T, Wheeler JM. Two-week wait symptoms are prevalent in screened patients with a positive faecal occult blood test but do not predict cancer. Colorectal Dis. 2014 Jan;16(1):40-7.
2. Hallifax R, Lacey M, Bevis P, Borley NR, Brooklyn T, Wheeler JM. Slipping through the bowel cancer screening programme. Colorectal Dis. 2012 Jul;14(7):844-7.
3. Brooklyn T, Dunnill G, Probert C. Diagnosis and treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum. BMJ. 2006 Jul 22;333(7560):181-4.
4. Brooklyn TN, Dunnill GS, Shetty A, Bowden JJ, Williams JD, Griffiths CE, Forbes AE, Greenwood R, Probert CS. Infliximab for the treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum: a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Gut 2006; 55:505-9.
Courses offered to GPs
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IBD in primary care
Abnormal liver tests
- MBChB University of Cape Town 1991
- MD University of Bristol 2004
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians (London) 2008
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology, 2003
- General (Internal) Medicine, 2003
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
British Society of Gastroenterology
British Medical Association
- Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital, GL51 6SY
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 07883 009211
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.