- Fee assured
- Verified account
I am an experienced Gastroenterologist with a broad interest in gastrointestinal and liver disease, including irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's and colitis), dyspepsia (indigestion and reflux), abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhoea and abnormal liver test results.
I am an accredited Bowel Cancer Screening colonoscopist and am an examiner within the National Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. This means that I examine other consultants who are trying to become accredited screeners.
I have an interest in therapeutic endoscopy and have a vast experience in endoscopic procedures including gastroscopy, colonoscopy, ERCP, and flexible sigmoidoscopy. My colonoscopy performance data show that I have a very high completion rate, polyp detection rate, and good comfort scores. I am the Clinical Lead for Endoscopy at Cheltenham General Hospital and at the Cheltenham Nuffield Hospital.
I am the British Society of Gastroenterology Endoscopy Quality Improvement Lead for the South West.
Areas of interest
Irritable bowel syndrome; Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis); Dyspepsia (indigestion); Nausea and vomiting; Constipation; Diarrhoea; Abdominal pain; Bowel cancer screening; Colonoscopy; Endoscopy; gastroscopy; Flexible sigmoidoscopy; ERCP
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist Cheltenham General Hospital
I am a season ticket holder at Gloucester Rugby.
1. O'Connor SA, Brooklyn TN, Dunckley PD, Valori RM, Carr R, Foy C, Somarathna T, Adamczyk LA, Shepherd NA, Anderson JT. High complete resection rate for pre-lift and cold biopsy of diminutive colorectal polyps. Endosc Int Open. 2018 Feb;6(2):E173-E178
2. Baker G, Valori R, Brooklyn T. Learning from adverse outcomes: guidelines on colonoscopic polypectomy in patients aged 85 years and older. Frontline Gastroenterol. 2016 Jul;7(3):199-201
3. Vaughan-Shaw PG, Cutting J, Borley N, Brooklyn T, Wheeler JM. Two-week wait symptoms are prevalent in screened patients with a positive faecal occult blood test but do not predict cancer. Colorectal Dis. 2014 Jan;16(1):40-7.
4. Hallifax R, Lacey M, Bevis P, Borley NR, Brooklyn T, Wheeler JM. Slipping through the bowel cancer screening programme. Colorectal Dis. 2012 Jul;14(7):844-7.
5. Brooklyn T, Dunnill G, Probert C. Diagnosis and treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum. BMJ. 2006 Jul 22;333(7560):181-4.
6. Brooklyn TN, Dunnill GS, Shetty A, Bowden JJ, Williams JD, Griffiths CE, Forbes AE, Greenwood R, Probert CS. Infliximab for the treatment of pyoderma gangrenosum: a randomised, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Gut 2006; 55:505-9.
Courses offered to GPs
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
IBD in primary care
Abnormal liver tests
- MBChB University of Cape Town 1991
- MD University of Bristol 2004
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians (London) 2008
Reference number 4084808
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology, 2003
- General (Internal) Medicine, 2003
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
British Society of Gastroenterology
British Medical Association
- Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital, GL51 6SY
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 07883 009211