- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Ramsay West Midlands Hospital, Ramsay The Westbourne Centre .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
Mr Sung is a Consultant Eye Surgeon with special interest in managing complex Glaucoma and Cataract conditions. He is a full-time consultant at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, a University of Birmingham teaching eye unit at City Hospital, Dudley Road, Birmingham. It is the second biggest teaching eye unit in UK.
He graduated from University of Wales, Cardiff, UK in 1993. He underwent the Specialist Registrar training programme at Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham. He undertook a prestigious Glaucoma Fellowship Training at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London before taking up his current consultant position in 2004. He was awarded a MSc in Medical Leadership degree from University of Warwick in 2013.
He was the Lead Clinician for the Glaucoma Service at Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre between 2007 and 2012. He was the clinical director for Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre and then Group Director between 2012 and 2016. He provides a supra-regional tertiary referral service for complex glaucoma including Childhood Glaucoma. He also provides a high volume supra-regional glaucoma tube-shunt implant service. He is a pioneer in surgeries for angle closure, cataract surgeries for angle closure glaucoma, complex tube-shunt implant surgery for advanced glaucoma, and micro-invasion glaucoma surgery (MIGS).
Mr Sung is a co-founder of UK Paediatric Glaucoma Society. He has delivered about 15 lectures over last 5 years at international conferences. He published many papers in glaucoma clinical research. He was award the Bronze National Clinical Excellent Award in 2017.
Areas of interest
Small incision cataract surgery; Glaucoma management; Childhood glaucoma; angle closure glaucoma; Glaucoma tube-shunt implant, iStent implant; Baerveldt tube implant surgery.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre,
Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust,
Birmingham B18 7QH
He runs an active research programme and supervise post-graduate PhD and MD research projects. He is local Prinicipal Investigator for CLRN Pofolio adopted clinical trials. His research profolio including Surgical Outcome Measures in Childhood Glaucoma, Anterior Segment Imaging for Angle Closure, Home Measurment of Diurnal Eye Pressure, Endoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation for Glaucoma and Tube-shunt implants for Complex Glaucoma.
Mr Sung is an active competitive fencer, he is a qualified fencing coach.
He is an examiner for Royal College of Ophthalmologists, Co-founder and serving Secretary for the UK Paediatric Glaucoma Society, and a NHS Clinical Excellent Award holder.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Cantonese - Native or bilingual
1. Chiam PJ, Sung V. The outcome of transcleral cyclophotocoagulation for the management of acute angle closure, Eur J Ophthalmol. 2017 in-press
2. Mandalos A, Sung V. Glaucoma drainage device surgery in children and adults: a comparative study of outcomes and complications, Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2017 May;255(5):1003-1011.
3. Stead RE, Juma Z, Turner S, Jones LD, Sung V. A novel use of reticulated hyaluronic acid (Healaflow) for hypotony eyes in patients with uveitis, Br J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jun;100(6):727-30
4. A. Mandalos, T. Parma, R. Tailor, V. Sung, The long-term outcome of Glaucoma Drainage Device in Paediatric glaucoma. Journal of Glaucoma; Mar;25(3):e 189-95
5. Mroczlowska A, Ekart A, Sung V, Negi A, Gin I, Patel SR, Jacob S, Atkins C, Benavente-Perez, Gherghel D. Coexistence of macro- and micro-vascular abnormalities in newly diagnosed normal tension glaucoma patients. Acta Ophthalmol, 2012 Nov;90(7): 553-9
6. V.Sung, Surgical management of Childhood Glaucoma – Part 1, ISGS Textbook of Glaucoma Surgery, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher, 2014 June
7. V.Sung, Surgical management of Childhood Glaucoma – Part 2, ISGS Textbook of Glaucoma Surgery, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publisher, 2014 June
8. S. Mroczkowska, A. Benavente-perez, A. Negi, V Sung, S.R. Patel, D. Gherghel. Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma vs Normal-Tension Glaucoma: The Vascular Perspective. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan; 131(1): 36-43
9. S. Mroczkowska, A. Ekart, V Sung, A. Negi, I. Qin, S.R. Patel, S. Jacob, C. Atkins, A. Benavente-Perez, D. Gherghel, D. Coexistence of macro- and micro-vascular abnormalities in newly diagnosed normal tension glaucoma patients. Acta Ophthalmol, 2012 Nov; 90(7): 553-9
10. F. Shafi, P Agrawal, R Holder, V. Sung. Bleb needling with subconjunctival injection of sodium hyaluronate ¼%: 1-year outcomes. Can J Ophthalmol. 2011 Dec; 46(6): 537-42
P. Agawal, S. Dulku, W. Nolan, V. Sung. The UK national cyclodiode laser survey. Eye (Lond). 2011 Feb;25(2):168-73.
11. L Jones, V Sung, H Negi, R Holder. Intraocular pressures after ketamine and sevoflurane in children with glaucoma undergoing examination under anaesthesia. Br J Ophthalmol. 2010 Jan;94(1):33-5.
12. P Pandey, A Bansal, VCT Sung. Gonioaspiration for refractory glaucoma secondary to traumatic hyphaema in patients with sickle cell trait. Ophthalmic Surgery, Laser and Imaging..
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1997
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1999
- MSc Medical Leadership University of Warwick 2012
Reference number 4010568
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secretary UK Paediatric Glaucoma Society 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Velota Sung, 2003
Affiliations / memberships
UK and Eire Glaucoma Society
British Medical Association
- BMI The Droitwich Spa Hospital, WR9 8DN
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 07891 138181
- BMI The Priory Hospital, B5 7UG
- 08:30 - 13:00
- 07891 138181
- West Midlands Hospital, B63 2AH
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 07891 138181
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details