- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Vascular surgery
I am a consultant in general and vascular surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead since April 2002.
I am the clinical lead in surgery in Gateshead
I also work in University Hospital Durham where I perform aneurysm surgery and emergency vascular procedures
I am an Associate Clinical Lecturer at Newcastle University
I have done the majority of my registrar training in the North East and Mersey Deanery.
I have also done a two year vascular surgery fellowship from Seattle, Washington, USA prior to my consultant post.
I have done my basic surgical training in the North West.
Areas of interest
Keyhole surgery to remove gall bladder: Keyhole and open surgery for inguinal hernia; Varicose vein surgery; Keyhole surgery for hyperhidrosis (excess sweating)
- Ruth Choppen
- Spire Washington Hospital Picktree Lane WASHINGTON NE38 9JZ
- 0191 415 1272
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
I am a consultant general and vascular surgeon at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Gateshead.
I perform emergency vascular and aneurysm surgery at the University Hospital, Durham.
I am the clinical lead in surgery in Gateshead.
I am an examiner for FRCS (Intercollegiate Specialty Board)
I am actively involved in teaching of undergraduates core trainees, registrars and senior fellows in surgery
Edited a textbook of vascular surgery, Cambridge University Press
Published around 40 articles in peer reviewed journals
Courses offered to GPs
Regular talks to GPs on current surgical topics
- FRCS (General and Vascular Surgery) Intercollegiate Specialty Board 2001
- FRCS (Glas) Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow 1992
- FRCS (Edin) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1993
- Clinical Fellow in Vascular Surgery Hope Heart Institute and Providence Medical Center, Seattle 1997
- Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education Newcastle University 2011
- Certificate in Vascular Ultrasound Teeside University 2012
- Fellow North East Leadership Academy 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- Intercollegiate Specialty Board in Surgery, 2001
Affiliations / memberships
- Spire Washington Hospital, NE38 9JZ
- 09:00 - 11:30
- 0191 415 1272
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Consultant Vascular Surgeon