- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
Mr Mo Akmal is an Orthopaedic Surgeon specialising in Spinal Surgery,Medical Director of The Harley Street Hospital.
He trained at St Marys Hospital Medical School in London and completed his Orthopaedic Specialist program in London. He undertook a Spinal Surgery Clinical Fellowship in Oxford at the John Radcliffe Hospital for Trauma and The Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre for elective surgery.
Mr Akmal has extensive training in Orthopaedics and Spinal Surgery and has works as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
His main interests are treatment of painful conditions of the spine. His practice includes Spinal Degenerative disease, Trauma, Infection, Scoliosis and Tumours. Mr Akmal performs Cervical and Lumbar Disc Replacement Surgery, Microsurgical and Minimally Invasive Procedures and has access to a full team of practitioners that specialise in Core Stability, Neural Dynamisation and Functional Restoration programmes. Although Mr Akmal is able to offer a comprehensive surgical solution he also has a large practice in Pain Management and works closely with physical therapists to support a pain management service.
Areas of interest
Sciatica;Vertebral compression fractures;Back pain;Neck Pain;Balloon Kyphoplasty; Vertebroplasty;Endoscopic Spinal Surgery; Epiduroscopy;Keyhole spinal surgery;Disc replacement surgery; Lumbar fusion:Cervical Disc Replacement; ACDF;Pain management;Caudal epidural;Dorsal Root Ganglion Blocks;Facet joint injections;Cervical nerve root blocks;Balloon Kyphoplasty;Vertebroplasty
- Karina Morris-Williams
- 19 Harley Street London W1G 9QJ
- 020 3973 8810
- 0844 589 6060
Anaesthetists worked with
Mr Mohammed Akmal has worked with Dr Nabeel Sultan at the following hospitals:
- Harley Street Hospital (5-50)
Mr Mohammed Akmal has worked with Dr Syed Ali at the following hospitals:
- Harley Street Hospital (5-50)
Mr Mohammed Akmal has worked with Dr Khalil Ahmed at the following hospitals:
- Harley Street Hospital (1-5)
Mr Mohammed Akmal has worked with Dr Julian Nixon at the following hospitals:
- Harley Street Hospital (1-5)
- London Spine Surgeon: https://www.londonspinesurgeon.co.uk/
- The Harley Street Hospital: https://theharleystreethospital.co.uk
- Top Doctors Profile: https://www.topdoctors.co.uk/doctor/mo-akmal
- Back Pain Doctor: https://backpaindoctor.co.uk
- London Spine Clinic: https://thespine.net
- TrustPilot Reviews: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/londonspine.com
- iwantgreatcare Reviews: https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-mo-akmal-md-frcs
- Doctify Reviews: https://www.doctify.co.uk/specialist/mr_mo_akmal
- Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmZqPjeMW6s
- Islamabad Spine Clinic: http://kih.com.pk/spine-clinic-dr-mohammed-akmal/
- Facebook Profile: https://en-gb.facebook.com/londonspine/
- Research Gate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mo_Akmal
- Professsional Profile: https://www.londonspine.com/about-us/clinical-team-doctors/mr-mo-akmal-profile/
- Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mo-akmal/
- Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/nmZqPjeMW6s
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic and Spinal Surgery Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Tissue Engineering Spinal Discs
Day Surgery techniques for Spinal Surgery
Clinical Applications of Information Technology
Tennis, Traveling, Family
Translaminar cervical epidural steroid injection for radiculopathy – A one year review of outcomes. YC Lok, S Ahmed, C Jenner, C McCarthy, M Akmal. J Bone Joint Surg Br In Press
Outcome of abdominosacral resection for locally advanced primary and recurrent rectal cancer. Bhangu A, Brown G, Akmal M, Tekkis P.
Br J Surg. 2012 Oct;99(10):1453-61. doi: 10.1002/bjs.8881. PubMed PMID: 22961529
An evaluation of a postoperative rehabilitation program after spinal surgery and its impact on outcome. McGregor AH(1), Henley A, Morris TP, Doré CJ; FASTER team.
Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2012 Apr 1;37(7):E417-22. (Collaborator)
Clinical images: Magnetic resonance imaging appearance of alkaptonuria. Hamdulay SS1, Finegold J, Boyer L, Khanna M, Akmal M, Walker A, Kinderlerer A.Arthritis Rheum.
2012 Jan;64(1):129: 10.1002/art.33357.
The Use of Expandable Ventrolateral titanium cages in the treatment of Spinal Infections
M. Akmal, A. Meir, A. Hussein, M. Hamady J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings 2011 93-B:28;
The Implications of Hip or Spine surgery on Cerebral palsy patients with scoliosis and hip subluxation. M Akmal, A Abbassian, A Anand, J Lehovsky, D Eastwood A Hashemi-Nejad
J Bone Joint Surg Br 2008 vol. 90-B no. SUPP III 450
Early and Long term Functional Outcome sussing methylprednisolone in Trauma patients with acute spinal cord injury. V Elwell, J Sutcliffe, and M Akmal
J Bone Joint Surg Br Proceedings 2008 90-B:460;
The Effects of Hyaluronic acid on articular chondrocytes. Akmal,M.; Singh,A.; Anand,A.;
Kesani,A.; Aslam,N.; Goodship,A.; Bentley,G. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Aug;87(8):1143-9
Segmental variation in the in vitro cell metabolism of nucleus pulposus cells Isolated from a
series of bovine Caudal intervertebral discs. Wiseman MA, Birch HL, Akmal M, Goodship AE
Spine. 2005 Mar 1;30(5):505-11.
The effect of Nicotine on spinal disc cells – A cellular mechanism for backpain ?
Akmal M, Kesani A, Singh A, Wiseman M, Anand B, Goodship A.
Spine. 2004 Mar 01:29(5);568-575
A prospective, randomised comparison of autologous chondrocyte implantation versus mosaicplasty for osteochondral defects in the knee. Bentley G, Biant LC, Carrington RW, Akmal M, Williams AM, Skinner JA, Pringle J. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2003 Mar;85(2):223-30.
Associated Injuries in Trauma Patients with Spinal Injury. Akmal M, Sohaib SA, Earlam R, Sutcliffe J.
J Bone Joint Surg [Br], 2001 Jun; Vol 83 Supp 2
Courses offered to GPs
Back Pain Lectures
Vertebral Compression Fractures
Back Pain in Elderly Patients
Advances in Spinal Surgery
Spinal Deformity Surgery
Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery Techniques
When to refer for Back Pain
Red Flags in Back Pain
- MBBS Imperial College London 1992
- BSc(Hons) London University 1991
- FRCS (Orth & Tr) England Royal College of Surgeons of England 2003
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD) London University 2005
- Fellowship in Spinal Surgery Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre Oxford University Hospitals 2004
Reference number 3680643
Affiliations / memberships
British Association of Spinal Surgery
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
phone 1 : 0203 973 8810
phone 2 : 0844 589 3030
out of hours emergency : 0844 500 5111
email : firstname.lastname@example.org