- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Breast surgery
I am an experienced breast surgeon looking after more than 100 screen-detected and symptomatic cancers in a year. I submit the data of my clinical practice for regular audits by the NHS BSP (Breast Screening Programme), Sloane project and BCCOM project.
I work with a highly experienced theatre team and our patients benefit from this experience, skill and team work as nearly 80% of all breast cancer surgery is done as a day case. I have strong working relations with the Genetic Unit in Birmingham and offer a full complement of risk-reducing measures.
One of my specialist interests is to look after women at high risk of breast cancer after the treatment of Lymphoma with mantle radiotherapy.
Areas of interest
• Inflammatory breast cancer,
• Early detection of breast cancer
• sentinel node biopsy
• Skin-sparing mastectomy
• Breast reconstruction
• Prevention of breast cancer
• Management of women at high risk of breast cancer
• The management of benign conditions including breast cysts, mastalgia and fibroadenomas.
- Breast Secretaries
- London Breast Institute Princess Grace Hospital 42-52 Nottingham Place LONDON W1U 5NY
- 020 7079 4344
- Nabeela Saeed
- BMI The Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston BIRMINGHAM B5 7UG
- 0121 446 1670
- 0121 446 1698
- Sameena Kauser
- B M I Priory Hospital Priory Road Edgbaston Birmingham B5 7UG
- 0121 446 1660
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon. Queens Hospital, Burton on Trent
I strongly believe that clinical research is imperative to improving the management of patients with breast disease.
I have been involved in recruiting patients for national and international clinical trials.
I am particularly interested in breast cancer and life style research.
I enjoy reading and am fan of books by Alexandar McCall Smith. I enjoy golfing and Yoga.
Clinical Excellence Award
English, Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi
1. Breast cancer therapy and cardiovascular risk: focus on trastuzumab.
2. Physical activity, risk of death and recurrence in breast cancer survivors: A systematic review and meta-analysis of epidemiological studies.
3. Evaluating the evidence for targeting FOXO3a in breast cancer: a systematic review.
4. Outcome of surgically treated octogenarians with breast cancer.
5. Physical activity and awareness in breast screening attendees in Black Country, UK.
6. Heparanase and COX-2 expression as predictors of lymph node metastasis in large, high-grade breast tumors.
7. Physical activity levels in women attending breast screening, receiving chemotherapy and post-breast cancer treatment; a cross-sectional study.
8. Endothelial dysfunction as a determinant of trastuzumab-mediated cardiotoxicity in patients with breast cancer.
9. Physical activity as an adjuvant treatment for breast cancer; is it time for guidelines?
10. Intraoperative ultrasound for palpable breast cancer: the way forward?
11. Cancer cachexia prevention via physical exercise: molecular mechanisms.
12. An aqueous extract of Fagonia cretica induces DNA damage, cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in breast cancer cells via FOXO3a and p53 expression.
13. Physical activity and breast cancer outcome: a brief review of evidence, current practice and future direction.
14. Breast clinic and life style study BLLISS.
Carmichael AR, Harbach L, Cooke R.
15. Obesity in post menopausal women with a family history of breast cancer: prevalence and risk awareness.
16. A randomized controlled clinical trial on sentinel node lymph node dissection versus axillary lymph node dissection: a matter of technique or patient selection?
17. Can Vitex Agnus Castus be Used for the Treatment of Mastalgia? What is the Current Evidence?
18. Women with large breasts are at an increased risk of advanced breast cancer.
19. Obesity and HER 2 overexpression: a common factor for poor prognosis of breast cancer.
20. Malignant melanoma in accessory nipple in a male.
Courses offered to GPs
ONCOPLASTIC MINI-FELLOWSHIP USA JULY- AUGUST 2015
Breast Course at The Hilton, Kensington Olympia. October 2015
iBRA meeting November 2015
- FRCS ( Gen Surg) The Royal College of Surgeons 2000
Reference number 3608322
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant Surgeon Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust 2004
Details of entry to specialist register
- Amtul R Carmichael, 2001
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Associations of Breast Surgeons.
British Association of Surgical Oncology
European Society of Surgical Oncology
Association for the Study of Medical Education
International Society of Surgery
Breast Surgery International
- BMI The Priory Hospital, B5 7UG
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 0121 446 1636
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
+ 44 7 595 987 088