- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
After graduating with first class honours in medical sciences at Cambridge University, I qualified in 1992 from Oxford University Medical School. I was awarded a PhD for research on Guillain-Barré Syndrome. I trained as a neurology specialist registrar at Queen Square and other London hospitals.
I see patients in all areas of general adult neurology, including epilepsy, headache, Parkinson’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
I have a subspecialty interest in peripheral neuropathy. I lead the regional specialist peripheral nerve service at King’s College Hospital, London, recognised as a Centre of Excellence by the GBS/CIDP Foundation International, and the largest UK centre for skin biopsy for small fibre neuropathy. I am President of the British Peripheral Nerve Society.
Areas of interest
Peripheral nerve disorders; peripheral neuropathy; CIDP; vasculitic neuropathy; small fibre neuropathy.
- NHS service at King's College Hospital: https://www.kch.nhs.uk/service/a-z/peripheral-nerve
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant neurologist since 2004 at both King's College Hospital, London SE5 9RS, and Maidstone Hospital, Kent ME16 9QQ.
Clinical research in peripheral neuropathy especially inflammatory neuropathy (Guillain-Barré syndrome, CIDP, paraproteinaemic demyelinating neuropathy, vasculitic neuropathy). I have participated in many treatment trials.
Small fibre neuropathy.
Married with teenage children, running, cycling.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- French - Conversational
Co-author of international guidelines on diagnosis and treatment of CIDP, vasculitic neuropathy, paraproteinaemic demyelinating neuropathy.
Cochrane Review of treatment of Guillain-Barré Syndrome.
Two chapters in Oxford Textbook of Medicine.
Courses offered to GPs
Organiser of annual one-day King's Neuromuscular Disease Symposium (aimed at neurological clinicians rather than GPs, small fee for registration). https://treat-nmd.org/event/18th-annual-kings-neuromuscular-disease-symposium/
Symposium administrator email@example.com
- BM BCh Oxford University Medical School 1992
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2009
- PhD King's College Hospital 2000
- BA MA Cambridge University 1989
Reference number 3588992
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President British Peripheral Nerve Society 2019
- Advisory Group in Neuromuscular Diseases Association of British Neurologists 2015
- Medical Advisory Board GAIN (Guillain-Barré and Associated Inflammatory Neuropathies) Charity 1997
- Honorary Secretary Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium of the international Peripheral Nerve Society 2019
- Neurology clinical lead Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- Neurology , 2004
Affiliations / memberships
Association of British Neurologists
Peripheral Nerve Society
British Peripheral Nerve Society
Inflammatory Neuropathy Consortium
- HCA The Shard, London Bridge Hospital, SE1 9BS
- 16:30 - 18:30
- 01622 430351
- KIMS Hospital, Maidstone ME14 5FT
- 12:00 - 16:30
- 01622 430351
- Sevenoaks Medical Centre, TN13 2JD
- 10:00 - 11:30
- 01622 430351
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Ellie Mills 01622 430351