- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac devices
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: dual chamber pacemaker insertion
- Devices: implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Electrophysiology complex cardiac ablation
- Electrophysiology intervention
- Electrophysiology simple cardiac ablation
- Trans-oesophageal echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography
In addition to more than 15 years' experience in Cardiology at Consultant level, I have particular specialist interest and expertise in cardiac electrophysiology and ablation of all arrhythmias. I have a particular interest in complex arrhythmias including atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia.
My other areas of experience include pacing, ICD implantation, and cardiac resynchronisation.
I was a member of the writing group for chapter 8 of the National Service Framework on arrhythmias and sudden cardiac death.
I have served as the arrhythmia/devices lead and subsequently the overall cardiovascular clinical lead for the Northwest London Cardiac and Stroke Network.
I was Clinical Lead and Arrhythmia Chair, at the Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS FT between 2006 and 2014.
I have been the Director of the Heart Division of the Royal Brompton Hospital since Dec 2014.
Areas of interest
Arrhythmias; Cardiac electrophysiology; Ablation; Pacing (cardiology); Defibrillators; Cardiac resynchronisation
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist with a special interest in cardiac electrophysiology & device implantation.
Director, Heart Division
Royal Brompton Hospital
Visiting Consultant Cardiologist, East & North Herts NHS Trust, QEII & Lister Hospitals
Honours in Medicine
Honours in Surgery
Honours in Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Honours in Pathology
Honours in Obstetrics & Gynaecology
University of London Gold Medal (1992)
• DG. Jones, V Markides, AW. C. Chow, RJ. Schilling, P Kanagaratnam , T Wong, DW Davies, and NS. Peters. Characterization and consistency of interactions of triggers and substrate at the onset of paroxysmal AF. Europace 2017.
• S K. Haldar; DG. Jones; H Khan; S Panikker; J W.E. Jarman; C Butcher; E Lim; G Wynn; D Gupta; W Hussain; V Markides; T Wong. Characterising the difference in electrophysiological substrate and outcomes between heart failure and non-heart failure patients with persistent atrial fibrillation. Europace 2017.
• Viswanathan K, Mantziari L, Butcher C, Hodkinson E, Lim E, Khan H, Panikker S, Haldar S, Jarman JW, Jones DG, Hussain, W, Foran JP, Markides V, Wong T. Evaluation of a novel high resolution mapping system for catheter ablation of ventricular arrhythmias. Heart Rhythm 2016.
• Panikker S, Jarman JW, Virmani R, Kutys R, Haldar S, Lim E, Butcher C, Khan H, Mantziari L, Nicol E, John P. Foran, Vias Markides, and Tom Wong. LAA Electrical Isolation and Concomitant Device Occlusion to Treat Persistent AF: A First-in-Human Safety, Feasibility, and Efficacy Study. Circ AE 9(7) Jul 2016
• L Mantziari, MD, C Butcher, A Kontogeorgis, S Panikker,, K Roy, V Markides, T Wong. Utility of a Novel Rapid High-Resolution Mapping System in the Catheter Ablation of Arrhythmias - An Initial Human Experience of Mapping the Atria and the Left Ventricle. JACC EP 2015;1:411–20 .
• Jones DG, Haldar SK, Hussain W, Sharma R, Francis DP, Rahman-Haley SL, McDonagh TA, Underwood SR, Markides V, Wong T. A randomized trial to assess catheter ablation versus rate control in the management of persistent AF in heart failure. JACC 61:1894-1903 2013
• Jarman JWE, Wong, T, Kojodjojo P, Spohr H, Davies JE, Roughton M, Francis DP, Kanagaratnam P, Markides V, Davies DW, Peters NS. Spatiotemporal behaviour of high dominant frequency during paroxysmal and persistent AF in the human left atrium. Circulation AE 2012;5:650-658.
• Markides V, Schilling RJ. Atrial fibrillation: Classification, pathophysiology, mechanisms and drug treatment. Heart 2003;89:939–943.
• Markides V, Schilling RJ, Ho SY, Chow AWC, Davies DW, Peters NS. Characterization of left atrial activation in the intact human heart. Circulation 2003;107:733-739.
• Peters NS, Schilling RS, Kanagaratnam P, Markides V. Atrial fibrillation: Evolving strategies to control, combat and cure. Lancet 2002;359:593-603.
Courses offered to GPs
Management of palpitations, syncope
- MB (Hons), BS (Hons) Imperial College, London 1992
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians of London 1995
- Doctor of Medicine University of London 2004
- FRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians of London 2007
Reference number 3585645
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Clinical lead, arrhythmias Northwest London Cardiac & Stroke Network 2009
- Cardiovascular clinical lead Northwest London Cardiac & Stroke Network 2012
- Chair, Arrhythmias Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust 2006
- Director, Heart Division Royal Brompton Hospital 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist register in Cardiology & G(I)M, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Heart Rhythm Society
British Heart Rhythm Society
- 88 Harley Street LONDON W1G 7HR
- 08:00 - 12:30
- 020 7034 8934
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Third Floor, Harley Street Clinic