- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiac devices
- Coronary angiography
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Fractional flow reserve (FFR)
- Interventional cardiology
- Percutaneous coronary intervention with/without stenting
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Trans-oesophageal echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography
Dr Khalid Barakat has worked as an NHS and private consultant cardiologist for the last 13 years in Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire and London. He treats all types of heart disease from palpitations and shest pain through to complex cardiac surgery and heart failure patients. His particular interests are in the implantation of stents (angioplasty) and transoesophageal echocardiography. Dr Barakat has been appointed the national lead for simulation based training by the British Cardiovascular Society, based at St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London.
Areas of interest
Pacing (cardiology); Angioplasty; Coronary stenting; Sudden death syndrome (SDS); Heart failure; Interventional cardiology; Implantable defibrillator (ICD) implantation; Loop recorder implantation; Pacemaker implantation; Transoesophageal echo; Echocardiography; Stress echocardiography; Coronary CT angiography; Coronary angiography; Heart attacks (myocardial infarction); Angina (ischaemic heart disease; Coronary artery disease); Atrial fibrillation; Atrial flutter; Arrhythmias; Supraventricular arryhthmias (SVT); Ectopics; Dilated cardiomyopathy; Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HOCM); Valvular heart disease (mitral valve disease; Aortic valve disease); Persistent foramen ovale; ASD; VSD; Syncope; Presyncope; Chest pain; Shortness of breath; Palpitations; Faints and dizzy turns; Heart screening; insurance medicals; simulation based training (National Lead based at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London).
Current NHS consultant posts held
British Cardiovascular Society National Lead for Simulation based training at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
HETV ARCP Panel Member (formerly RITA, Oxford Deanery).
MA (Oxon), MBBS MD FRCP PG Cert MedSim
Undergraduate Academic Prizes:
Richard Ellis Prize in Paediatrics
Lord Riddle Prize in Surgery
Leonard Lubbock Prize in Clinical Chemistry
Beaney Certificate of Merit in Histopathology
Postgraduate Acacemic Prizes:
Medical Research Council Training Fellowship
Stephen Hart Prize
English, Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu.
Courses offered to GPs
Dr Barakat is open to giving educational presentations to local GPs.
- BA Physiological Sciences University of Oxford 1988
- MBBS University of London 1991
- MA, Physiological Sciences University of Oxford 1992
- MRCP UK 1994
- MD University of London 2000
- FRCP UK 2007
- PG Cert Medical Simulation University of Bedfordshire 2014
Reference number 3561881
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Heath Education Thames Valley (HETV) lead for cardiac simulation Health Education Thames Valley 2017
- HETV ARCP panel member Health Education Thames Valley 2017
Affiliations / memberships
British Cardiovascular Society
British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
Heart Rhythm Society
- Bridge Clinic, Oldfield Lodge,156 Bridge Road,...
- 09:30 - 13:00
- 01753 660845
- Spire Thames Valley Hospital, Wexham Street,...
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01753 660845
- Spire Windsor Clinic, Highbury Place30 Frances...
- 09:30 - 14:00
- 01753 660845
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details