- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
I grew up in Shropshire and attended Glasgow University. I have been a consultant orthopaedic surgeon in Hereford since 2003.
In Hereford I have developed a practice based on all forms of knee surgery and lower limb joint replacement.
I specialise in accelerated rehabilitation following knee and hip replacement and high function joints.
I offer a revision knee replacement service where I take failed knee replacements and treat. As part of this service I have done over 200 revision knee replacements.
I also perform arthroscopic knee surgery including ACL reconstruction and cartilage repair.
Areas of interest
Hip replacement surgery; Knee replacement surgery; Ligament reconstruction including anterior cruciate ligament; Arthroscopic Knee surgery; Lower limb arthroplasty; Revision knee surgery (orthopaedic); partial knee replacement; Accelerated rehabilitation.
- Kat (Private Secretary)
- Nuffield Health Hereford Hospital Venns Lane HEREFORD HR1 1DF
- 07870 555695
- Teresa (NHS Secretary)
- The County Hospital Union Walk HEREFORD HR1 2ER
- 01432 3554422
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Andrzej Wlaszczyk Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Hereford County Hospital
High function joint replacement
Reduced Surgical pain
The life span of knee replacements
Preserving the natural knee
Family, DIY, and motor sport. (Hill Climbing and Autograss)
1) Oakley MJ, Wheelwright EF, James PJ. Pneumatic compression boots for prophylaxis against deep vein thrombosis: beware occult arterial disease. BMJ 1998;316:454-5
2) Oakley MJ, Smith JS, Anderson J, Fenton-Lee D, A prospective randomised, placebo controlled, double blind trial of local anaesthetic infusion in day case herniorraphy. BJS 1998;85:797-799 .
3) Roysam GS, Oakley MJ. The Subvastus approach to the knee for primary total knee replacement. A randomised, prospective study. Journal Arthroplasty 2001 June;16:454-7
4) Roysam GS, Oakley MJ. The Subvastus approach to the knee for primary total knee replacement. A randomised, prospective study. Cochrane data base ID CN-00348605.
5) Roysam GS, Oakley MJ. The Subvastus approach to the knee for primary total knee replacement. A randomised, prospective study.
Evidence-Based Orthopaedics, commentary by Hassen AD. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002 84: 325.
6) Oakley MJ, Perry JD, Jones AL, Morgan SR, McCaskie A. Cost effective use of a mechanical form of DVT prophylaxis. Accepted by Hip international1) Optimum number and configuration of cannulated hip screws for the fixation of intracapsular hip fractures. Selvan VT, Oakley MJ, Rangan AR. Injury 2004;35(2), 136-141
7) Repetitive posterior iliac crest autograft harvest resulting in an unstable pelvic fracture and infected non-union. A case report and review of the literature. Oakley MJ, Smith WR, Morgan SJ, Ziran BH. H Ziran Patient Safety in Surgery 2007 ;1:6
8) The St. Leger total knee replacement. A 10-year clinical and radiological assessment. The Knee; 2009 16(5): 322-25
Courses offered to GPs
I am very happy to talk on a number of orthopaedic subjects to GPs and have done so on many occasions. Recently I have attended several practices during their regular meetings in order to provide CPD
I am very proud of my outcomes. Arguably the most important measure of success following joint replacement being revision(failure) rates.
This data is recorded independently by the National Joint Registry.
Knees: I have 1126 Knee replacements recorded, with a revision rate of 0.98% at 5 years following surgery, better that the average rate which is 2.62% at 5 years
Hips: I have 852 Hip replacements recorded , with a revision rate of 0.52% at 5 years again better than the average rate of 2.31% @ 5 years
Other out comes such as patients knee and hip scores, infection and satisfaction are constantly being recorded and I am always happy to discuss them.
- M.B.,Ch.B Glasgow University 1991
- FRCS The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 1995
- FRCS The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1995
- FRCS (trauma and orthopaedics) The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2001
- Speciallity Training in Orthopaedic Surgery Northern Region Orthopaedic Training Scheme 1997
- A/O trauma Fellowship Rocky Mountain Regional Trauma Centre, Denver, USA 2002
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty Fellowship Royal Orthopaedic Hospital 2003
Reference number 3557907
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant Chair of Governance Comitee Nuffield Health Hereford Hospital 2014
- Surgeon Member Venous Thrombosis Committee The Wye Valley NHS Trust 2014
- Surgeon Member Transfusion Committee The Wye Valley NHS Trust 2014
- Chairman Blood transfusion Comittee The Wye Valley NHS Trust 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedics, 2003
Affiliations / memberships
The Royal College Of Surgeons of Edinburgh
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
The British Society for Surgery of the Knee (BASK)
The British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
The British Medical Association (BMA)
The Medical Defence Union (MDU)
A/O Alumni Association
- Nuffield Health Hereford Hospital
- 14:00 - 20:00
- 01432 355131
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Oakley's Secretary Kat who will find him
Please leave message if not answered immediately.