- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Kingsbridge Private Hospital, Cathedral Eye Clinic, Hillsborough Private Clinic .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Surgical lacrimal
I have been a consultant ophthalmic surgeon at the belfast trust since June 2011. I was previously a consultant at the western trust for 7 years.
I also have sessions at the Mater and Downe hospitals.
As well as General Ophthalmology my special interests include oculoplastic/lacrimal and orbital disorders.
For more information please vissit my website;
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery; Eye - external disorders; Glaucoma; Lacrimal disorders; Orbital surgery / disorders;
- Cathedral Clinic secretaries
- Cathedral Eye Clinic Ltd 89-91 Academy Street Belfast BT1 2LS
- 028 9032 2020
- Ruth Graham
- Hillsborough Private Clinic 2 Main Street Hillsborough BT26 6AE
- 028 9268 8899
- 028 9268 8811
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Gary Thompson Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Royal Victoria Hospital
Mater Hospital, Belfast
Downpatrick Hospital, Downpatrick
Infection after cataract surgery
Reading, gardening, playing tennis and golf
1. BMA Middlemore Award 1999. The epidemiology of presumed infectious endophthalmitis following cataract surgery in the UK.
2. BMA John William Clark Award 2000. T
3. Royal Victoria Hospital Fellowship 2000/2001. To undertake research into the epidemiology, characterisation and prevention of infectious endophthalmitis following cataract surgery
4. Fight for Sight Project grant 2001.Prevention of microbial adherence to intra-ocular lenses during cataract surgery
1. Kamalarajah S, Anderson HR, Gardiner TA, Archer DB. Morphological changes in the cornea during diabetes and following treatment with sulindac. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, March 1997, vol.38, No.4.
2. Kamalarajah S, Johnston PB. Bilateral anterior uveitis associated with 0.3% minims metipranolol. Eye June 1999;13:380-381.
3. Kamalarajah S, McCloone E, McCance DR, Johnston PB. An unusual presentation of Graves' disease. Eye August 1999;13:599-601.
4. Kamalarajah S, Best RM. Endophthalmitis following cataract extraction. Eyenews October/November 1999;6:26.
5. Kamalarajah S, Rankin SJA. Uveitis-Glaucoma-Hyphaema syndrome following posterior chamber lens implantation. Glaucoma forum 2001.
6. Kamalarajah S, Best RM. Endophthalmitis following cataract surgery. CME Journal Ophthalmology 2002;6:10-17.
7. McAvoy CE, Kamalarajah S, Best R, Rankin S, Bryars J, Nelson K. Bilateral third and unilateral sixth nerve palsies as presenting early signs of metastatic prostatic carcinoma. Eye 2002;16:744-749.
8. Kamalarajah S, Silvestri G, Sharma NK, Khan A, Ling R, Cran G, Best RM. Surveillance of endophthalmitis following cataract surgery in the UK. Eye 2004;18:580-587.
9. Ling R, Kamalarajah S, Cole M, James C, Shaw S. Suprachoroidal haemorrhage complicating cataract surgery in the UK: a case control study of risk factors. Br J Ophthalmol 2004;88:474-477.
10. Ling R, Cole M, James C, Kamalarajah S, Foot B, Shaw S. Suprachoroidal haemorrhage complicating cataract surgery in the UK: epidemiology, clinical features, management and outcomes. Br J Ophthalmol 2004;88:478-480.
11. Kamalarajah S, Silvestri G, Sharma, Cran G, Best RM. Surveillance of endophthalmitis following cataract surgery in the UK. (Letter – Reply to Vedantham V). Eye 2005 Nov; 19(11): 1220-21.
12. Kamalarajah S, Ling R, Silvestri G, Sharma NK, Cole MD, Cran G, Best RM. Presumed infectious endophthalmitis following cataract surgery in the UK : A case-control study of risk factors. Eye 2007;21(5):577-579.
Courses offered to GPs
1. infection after cataract surgery
2. Lumps and bumps around the eye
3. The red eye
4.Thyroid eye disease
5. Assessment and management of the watery eye
- MB ChB Dundee University 1991
- FRCOphth Royal College Ophthalmologists, London 1997
- MD Queens University, Belfast 2002
Reference number 3550728
Affiliations / memberships
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr S Kamalarajah