- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
Born in Dulwich, Dr Rakowicz graduated from King’s College London in 1990 with degrees in Medicine and Neuroscience (1st Class Hons). He undertook his neurology training in Cambridge; the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery, Queen Square; Norwich; and the United States. While still a trainee, he wrote with John Hodges the original Addenbrooke’s Cognitive Examination, recently revised (ACE-3), which is now a reference assessment tool used in Memory Clinics worldwide. His research into motor neurone disease led to a University of Cambridge PhD in 2001.
He moved to the Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester in 2013 after 10 years as consultant at Charing Cross Hospital (Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust) and The Hillingdon Hospital, London. Since 2014 he been an Associate Medical Directors of Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
His outside interests include music making with his wife and three children, hiking and talking. There is always time for good wine and good food.
Areas of interest
Headache & migraine; dizziness; weakness; numbness; tingling; tremor; stroke prevention; memory problems; epilepsy; fits & funny turns; motor neurone disease; peripheral neuropathy; muscle disease. Dr Rakowicz also takes medicolegal instructions in highly complex medical negligence litigation.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal Hampshire County Hospital, Winchester
Basingstoke & North Hampshire Hospital
Southampton General Hospital
Associate Medical Director
Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Polish - Native or bilingual
- French - Fluent
- German - Fluent
- BSc 1st Class Honours - Anatomy & Physiology King's College London 1987
- MB BS King’s College London 1990
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians of London 1993
- PhD - Nerve cell death & survival in motor neurone disease University of Cambridge 2001
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians of London 2009
- Neuromuscular Fellowship Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis MO, USA 2000
Reference number 3498398
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- National mortality review trainer Royal College of Physicians of London 2018
- Advisory committee member - Suspected Neurological Conditions NICE Quality Standards Advisory Committee 2020
- Guideline committee member - NG127 Suspected Neurological Conditions NICE 2019
Details of entry to specialist register
- Neurology, 2003
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians,
Association of British Neurologists
British Myology Society
British Peripheral Nerve Society
British Medical Association
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.