- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
I have been in post as consultant orthopaedic surgeon since 2002. My elective practice is predominantly in hip and knee surgery.
My hip practice includes primary, complex primary and revision hip replacement, including those with complex bone loss requiring custom implants, trabecular metal augmentation or impaction bone grafting. I perform about 130-150 hip replacements per year. I also offer hip arthroscopy for femoroacetabular impingement syndrome and I am a member of the British Hip Society.
My knee practice is mainly that of degenerative knee conditions, for which I have done over 400 knee replacements. I offer arthroscopy for meniscal pathology associated with mechanical symptoms and also see a large number of patients for non-surgical management.
My outcomes, as recorded on the National Joint Registry, are significantly better than expected. The statistics are complicated and can sound confusing, but in brief, the most recent report shows that, were I performing exactly as an average surgeon, I would have expected to have seen 12 of my knee and 40 of my hip replacements being revised, whereas in fact only 7 of my knee replacements and 27 of my hip replacements have been revised, the latter placing me on the upper 95th centile of the Standardised Revision Ratio charts.
In areas outside my immediate clinical practice, I have been an elected Trustee and member of Council of the British Orthopaedic Association (2014-16), as well as being a member of its Professional Practice Committee and Trauma Committee. I was Chairman of the British Orthopaedic Directors Society from 2010-12. I teach on Hip Arthroplasty Courses (Principles of Exeter Cementing Courses) and have been faculty for AO, the international Trauma group, since 2005, chairing their Principles of Fracture Management Courses from 2014-16. I was Clinical Lead of the Orthopaedic Department, Great Western Hospital, Swindon, from 2006-13 and currently I am Associate Medical Director for Planned Care, responsible for the management of all surgical and anaesthetic services in the Trust.
Areas of interest
• Hip replacement surgery • Arthroscopy • Knee surgery • Hip Revision surgery (orthopaedic) • Lower limb arthroplasty • Arthroplasty • Hip arthroscopy; Knee replacement
- Andrea Elliott
- Ridgeway Hospital Moormead Road Wroughton Swindon SN4 9DD
- 07475 448208
- 07475 448208
Anaesthetists worked with
- Swindon Consultant Anaesthetists Not Fee Assured
- Dr Mark B Yeates Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Great Western Hospital
Swindon SN3 6BB
- MA Cambridge University 1990
- BM Bch Oxford University 1990
- FRCS (Eng) Royal College of Surgeons of England 1994
- FRCS (Tr & Orth) Intercollegiate Speciality Board 2000
- Fellowship in Trauma & Arthroplasty St Michael's Hospital, Toronto 2001
Reference number 3482209
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Elected Member of Council / Trustee British Orthopaedic Association 2014
- Chairman British Orthopaedic Directors Society 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, 2001
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of British Orthopaedic Association
Member of British Hip Society
Course Chairman (principles course), AO International Trauma Society
- BMI The Ridgeway Hospital, SN4 9DD
- 08:00 - 13:00
- 01793 421142
- Moormead RoadWroughtonSWINDONSN4 9DD
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 07475 448208
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
BMI Ridgeway 01793 814848 (emergency helpline always available)