- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Axon completed subspecialty training in advanced otology, hearing implantation and skull base surgery before being appointed a consultant ENT surgeon at Cambridge University Hospitals in 2001.
He has a busy practice managing all paediatric and adult otological problems and receives many tertiary referrals from ENT colleagues around the UK. He has extensive experience managing childhood and adult middle ear problems in addition to a UK wide service for managing different forms of tinnitus including pulsatile tinnitus.
Mr Axon has been integral to the development of the East of England hearing implant and skull base services which are now amongst the largest Centres in Europe offering the very latest in hearing implant and middle ear reconstruction technology.
Mr Axon has championed the open exchange of surgical outcome data and Chairs the National acoustic neuroma audit. He sits on the British Society of Otology and British Skull Base Councils and is a member of the British Cochlear Implant Group. He travels extensively presenting research and outcome data at meetings around the World.
Areas of interest
ENT - Otology - Ear - Cholesteatoma - Ear pain - Ear discharge - Ear infection - Otitis externa - Glue ear - Grommets - Tonsillitis - Tonsillectomy - Hearing loss - Deafness - Ossiculoplasty - Otosclerosis - Stapedectomy - Hearing aids - Cochlear implantation - Tinnitus - Pulsatile tinnitus - Whooshing tinnitus - Vertigo - Dizziness - Menieres disease - BPPV - Balance disorders - Acoustic neuroma - Glomus tumours
- Felicity Collins
- Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital 4 Trumpington Road CAMBRIDGE CB2 8AF
- 01223 370922
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
- Cambridge University Hospitals Otology & Skull Base Team
- Cambridge University Hospitals Hearing Implant Centre
- Cambridge University Hospitals Balance Services
- Cambridge University Hospitals Tinnitus Services
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Otologist, Hearing Implant and Skull Base Surgeon, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals, Cambridge
Mr Axon is currently researching the management of pulsatile tinnitus. He has close relationships with research teams at the MRC and Cambridge University exploring the optimisation of hearing in cochlear implant users.
His interest in the "normal ear" drives extensive research into middle ear mechanics and reconstructive techniques to deliver a safe, dry and hearing ear.
Numerous book Chapters and publication of over 50 peer reviewed articles
Mr Axon records all outcome data and is happy to share his personal outcome figures for any procedure that he performs.
He Chairs the National Acoustic Neuroma Audit which is responsible for recording, analysing and publishing treatment outcome data through NHS England.
- MbChB University of Leeds 1990
- MD awarded with distinction University of Leeds 1999
- FRCS (ORL-HNS) Edinburgh 2000
- Advanced Hearing Implant and Skull Base Fellowship Manchester 2000
- Advanced Otology and Skull Base Fellowship Cambridge 2001
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secretary British Skull Base Society 2013
- Chair of the National Vestibular Schwannoma Audit British Skull Base Society 2014
- Council British Society of Otology ENTUK 2014
- Clinical Lead of the National NF2 Service NHS England 2014
Affiliations / memberships
Member of the Royal Society of Medicine
Member of ENT UK
Member of British Society of Otology
Member of British Skull Base Society
Member of British Cochlear Implant Group
- Nuffield Health Cambridge Hospital, CB2 8AF
- 08:00 - 12:30
- 01223 370922
- Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital, CB24 9EL
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01223 266990
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.