- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Salam has over 20 years experience in general ENT surgery. He has special expertise in nasal allergy and endoscopic sinus surgery where he has performed over 1000 procedures. He has written several publications on this type of surgery in peer review journals. His results were published at the RCS National Sino-Nasal Audit and were among the top 10 surgeons in the UK.
He is the only surgeon who performs Balloon Sinoplasty technique in Ipswich and Suffolk. He has wide experience in rhinoplasty surgery for cosmetic improvement of nose deformities and has performed several hundred procedures.
Mr Salam is in charge of the Voice clinic at Ipswich Hospital where he treats patients with voice disorders in conjunction with speech therapists. He also runs the facial plastic clinic for treatment of facial skin lesions.
Mr Salam is the Audit lead for ENT and is interested in auditing all his surgical results and clinical practice. He also uses this forum for teaching and training junior doctors. He organises and teaches on regional and national courses for endoscopic sinus surgery and rhinoplasty surgery. Mr Salam spent eight years in a senior management post in Ipswich Hospital and was responsible for seven surgical specialties.
Areas of interest
Endoscopic sinus surgery, Rhinology (nasal disorders); Facial plastic surgery including Rhinoplasty and Otoplasty; Voice and swallowing disorders; Paediatric ENT; Ear problems
- Angela Murdy
- Nuffield Health Ipswich Hospital Foxhall Road IPSWICH IP4 5SW
- 01473 279142
- 01473 279116
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Robert Lewis Not Fee Assured
- Dr Vlad Kushakovsky Fee Assured
- Dr Martin Mansfield Not Fee Assured
- Dr Prakash Bhagwat Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Lead Clinician and ENT Consultant at Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust
Mr Salam has wide experience in research and has over 35 publications in peer review journals. He has over 60 presentations of his clinical and scientific research at both national and international conferences. He has supervised the research of junior doctors to achieve higher research degrees including MSc and MD.
M.D. in Otolaryngology - Thesis submitted to Cairo University (December 1989),
M.Sc. in Biological Sciences - Thesis submitted to the University of Warwick (April 1995),
Travelling abroad and exploring different cultures, football, badminton and table tennis, classical music and musical shows.
January 1996 : Temporal Bone Dissection Prize presented at the Midland Institute of Otology, Birmingham.
May 1996 : Down’s Temporal Bone Dissection Prize presented at the Royal Society of Medicine, London.
February 1997 : Intercollegiate Speciality Board Gold Medal presented at the Royal Society of Medicine, London.
May 1997 : Laryngology & Rhinology Section Research Prize presented at the Royal Society of Medicine, London.
M A Salam and H R Cable (1993).
Middle meatal antrostomy: Long term patency and results in chronic maxillary sinusitis.
Clinical Otolaryngology, 18 : 135-138.
M A Salam and H R Cable (1994).
Acquired pharyngeal diverticulum following anterior cervical fusion operation.
British Journal of Clinical Practice, 48, 2 : 119-120.
M A Salam and J Crocker (1995).
Expression of p53 tumour suppresser gene in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma: Prognostic significance.
Clinical Otolaryngology, 20 : 49-52.
M A Salam and R C Bickerton (1995).
Giant keratoacanthoma of the nasal vestibule.
British Journal of Clinical Practice, 49, 1 : 52.
M A Salam, J Rockett and A Morris (1995).
General primer-mediated polymerase chain reaction for simultaneous detection and typing of HPV in laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas.
Clinical Otolaryngology, 20 : 84-88.
M A Salam, A Morris and J Rockett (1996).
The prevalence of different HPV types and p53 mutations in laryngeal carcinomas. Is there a reciprocal relationship?.
European Journal of Surgical Oncology, 21 : 290-296.
G.Bates, M A Salam and B Koay (1997).
Endoscopic stapling diverticulotomy for pharyngeal pouch: A prospective study.
Clinical Otolaryngology, 22 : 186.
M A Salam and M O’Connell (1998)
TWJ Fellowship to Clinique du Docteur J Causse
ENT News, 6: 23.
C J Surwald, M Salam & R.G Rowe (2002)
A Solitary neurofibroma of the palatine tonsil
The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, 116, 76-68
M Salhab,V Matai & M Salam (2004)
The impact of functional endoscopic sinus surgery on health status.
Journal of Rhinology , 42 , 98 - 102
C Merkonidis, S Verma & M Salam (2005)
Saddle Nose deformity in patients with Crohn's disease.
The Journal of Laryngology & Otology, 119 , 573 - 576 , 2005.
M Salam &M Draper (2005)
Change of the health status after rhinoplasty.
Journal of Otolaryngology, Accepted for publication, July 2005.
M Salam,V Matai, M Salhab & A W Hilger (2006)
The Facial skin lesions "See and Treat" clinic, A prospective study.
European Archives of ORL & Head/Neck Surgery, 263 , 764-766.
Phillips JS, Vowler SL, Salam MA (2007)
Endoscopic sinus surgery for 'sinus headache'.
Rhinology ; 45(1):14-19.
Courses offered to GPs
Mr Salam hold regular talks and seminars for teaching in Suffolk area. These are organised through the Nuffield Hospital
- M.B., B.Ch. "Distinction with Honours" Ain Shams University , Cairo , Egypt 1982
- F.R.C.S. in Otolaryngology Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 1989
- M.D. in Otolaryngology Ain-Shams University, Cairo, Egypt 1989
- M.Sc. in Biological Sciences Warwick University 1995
- F.R.C.S. (ORL) in Otolaryngology Royal College of Sureons, London 1996
- Rhinology/Facial Plastic Fellowship, Queen Elizabeth University Hospital , Adelaide, Australia 1996
- TWJ Foundation Otology Fellowship L`Institut D`Otologie, J. B. Causse, Beziers, France 1997
- Head and Neck Clinical Fellowship The Free University, Amsterdam, Holland 1997
Reference number 3473258
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Examiner for the Intercollegiate Exam (FRCS-ORL) Royal College of Surgeons 2005
Details of entry to specialist register
- Accreditation date (CCST Awarded)., 1997
Affiliations / memberships
• British Medical Association (BMA)
• Medical Defence Union (MDU)
• Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
• Royal College of Surgeon of England
• Royal Society of Medicine (RSM)
• British Association of Otolaryngologists - Head and Neck Surgery (ENT-UK)
• European Rhinological Society (ERS)
• British Rhinological Society (BRS)
• East Anglian Head and Neck Development Group
• Ipswich Clinical Society
• European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Nuffield Health Ipswich Hospital, IP4 5SW
- 08:30 - 13:30
- 01473 279100
- Nuffield Health Ipswich Hospital, IP4 5SW
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01473 279100
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details