- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Shoulder & Elbow
- Video and telephone consultations
I was appointed a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in 1999. I am fellowship-trained in complex shoulder reconstruction and arthroscopy as well as total shoulder replacement surgery and revision surgery.
I teach on shoulder arthroscopy training courses throughout the UK to teach the skills involved.
I am active in clinical research.
Areas of interest
• Shoulder surgery • Total Shoulder replacement surgery; Revision shoulder replacement surgery; Reverse geometry shoulder replacement• Shoulder Arthroscopy; Shoulder stabilisation surgery; Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair surgery; Complex shoulder arthroscopic procedures; Superior Capsule Reconstruction for irreparable rotator cuff tears
- Edinburgh Orthopaedic Specialists
- Blackrock House 2-8 Millar Crescent EDINBURGH EH10 5HW
- 0131 446 3048
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr David A Semple Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Royal infirmary of Edinburgh
Rotator cuff tears and repair outcomes and cost effectiveness
Options for patients with massive and irreparable rotator cuff tears
Short-stem shoulder replacement surgery
Shoulder instability surgical outcomes
Mountain and road biking
American British Canadian (ABC) Travelling Fellowship April 2002
BESS award for scientific paper June 2013
(Additional) Languages spoken
- French - Basic
- Spanish - Basic
Shoulder and Elbow Journal
The Journal of Arthroscopy
Courses offered to GPs
Organised through Spire
All patients have been audited pre and postoperatively within my NHS practice over the last 15 years. This gives me outcome data on most of my patients over a 2 year postoperative period . This data is presented at my appraisal annually.
I have had 8 minor and 2 serious infections over the 15 year period.
Patient satisfaction is over 85%.
- MBBcH University of the Witwatersrand 1988
- FRCS Ed (Orth) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1998
Reference number 3401532
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Consultant orthopaedic Surgeon Royal infirmary of Edinburgh 1999
Details of entry to specialist register
- Julie McBirnie, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
- Spire Shawfair Park Hospital, EH22 1FE
- 12:30 - 18:30
- 0131 654 5600