- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Vascular surgery
I am a consultant in General and Vascular surgery in Ipswich & Colchester Hospitals.
I carry out my Private Practice at the Nuffield Hospital Ipswich. I have the following sessions for my private practice:
Wednesday AM: 08:00 to 13:00------Theatre
Thursday PM: 14:00 to 18:00------Clinic
Monday Evening 18:30 to 20:00----Clinic
MBChB 1982, FRCS 1986, PhD 1995, FRCS(Gen Surg/Vasc) 2000
Areas of interest
- Vascular / venous disease: Varicose veins; Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT); Periperal Vascular Disease; Carotid endartectomy; Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.
- General Surgery: Hernia repair; Lumps & Bumps; Laproscopic cholecystectomy
- Vicky Handy
- Nuffield Health Ipswich Hospital Foxhall Road Ipswich IP4 5SW
- 01473 279180
- 01473 279181
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General and Vascular Surgeon:
Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust &
Colchester University Hospital
I have strong background in research. I have forty publications between peer-reviewed papers, book chapters and published abstracts and presented at least forty papers to scientific societies at National and International level. Part of this research is included in my PhD (UCL London).
- Council Member & Communications Director of the Venous Forum of the Royal Society of Medicine, London.
- Referee for the British Journal of Surgery and the International Journal of Surgery
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
- Catheter-directed thrombolysis in illio-femoral deep vein thrombosis. presentation ASiT Conference 2012.
Embolization of Incompetent Ovarian Vein in Women presenting with lower limb varicosities
Mr Abdulwhab Elmghrbee, K.Bilal, P.Whitear, A.Cameron, I.Osman, A.Abu-own
- Local VTE Prophylaxis Audit; A recurring Audit conducted and presented to Local Meetings
- Kolias et al,. Open vs EVAR: Oral presentation Audit Symposium of RCSEd March 09.
Barker S, .Abu-Own A et al. Integrated care pathways for Vascular surgery. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1999; sep 18(3): 207-15.
Abu-Own A, Onwudike M, Haque KA and Barker SG. Primary inguinal herina repair utilizing the mesh ‘plug’ technique. Ambulatory Surgery 2000; 8: 31-35.
Abu-Own A, Coleridge Smith PD. Hand-held Doppler as a screening test in primary varicose veins [letter] Br J Surg 1998 Mar;85(3):424-5.
Abu-Own A, Cheatle T, Scurr JH and Coleridge Smith PD. Effects of intermittent pneumatic compression of the foot on the microcirculatory function in arterial disease. Eur J Vasc Surg 1993; 7: 488-492.
Abu-Own A, Scurr JH and Coleridge Smith PD. Assessment of intermittent pneumatic compression by strain gauge plethysmography. Phlebology, 1993; 8: 68-71.
Abu-Own A et al. . Saphenous vein reflux without incompetence at the saphenofemoral junction. Year Book of Vascular Surgery, 1996. Edited by John M Porter. Mosby; 434.
Abu-Own A. Effect of intermittent pneumatic compression on the microcirculation in arterial disease. Year Book of Vascular Surgery, 1995. Edited by John M Porter. Mosby; 268-269.
Saphenous vein reflux without incompetence at the saphenofemoral junction. Phlebology Digest 1995; 7: 15-16.
Courses offered to GPs
On Investigation and treatment of my areas of interest in:
Venous Disease including Varicose Veins
Hernia repair & Hernia plug repair as per my pilot study published in 1998
- MBChB 1982 Tripoli-Libya 1982
- FRCS 1986 Glasgow 1986
- FRCS(Gen Surg/Vasc) 2000 UK 2000
- PhD 1995 University College London 1995
Reference number 3380400
Affiliations / memberships
- Vascular Society of Great Britain & Irland
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Glasgow
- Member Royal Society of Medicine (RSM)
- Council Member & Treasurer Venous Forum of the Royal Society of Medicine
- East England Vascular Group
- East Anglia Surgeons Group
- Medical Protection Society
- Foxhall Road, IPSWICH, IP4 5SW
- 18:30 - 20:00
- 01473 858073
- Foxhall RoadIPSWICHIP4 5SW
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01473 858073
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Abuown's Secretary:
Nuffield Hospital Reception Tel: 01473 279100