- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Inflammatory bowel disease
I am a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Reader at St George's Hospital and Medical School. I see patients privately at Parkside (53, Parkside SW19 5NX). I am fully registered with the GMC and have specialist certification in Gastroenterology and General internal Medicine.
I trained at St Bartholomew's Hospital and was awarded a Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Training Fellowship gaining my PhD in the field of gut immunity and infection. My current research programme focuses on the causes of inflammatory bowel disease and improving diagnosis.
My clinical interests include inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)-Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, chronic diarrhoea, gut infections, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), indigestion & heartburn and family screening for bowel cancer. I am an experienced therapeutic endoscopist and have performed many thousand gastroscopies and colonoscopies
Areas of interest
inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS); GI infection; Colorectal (bowel) cancer (including those with a family history); Dyspepsia (indigestion); Colonoscopy; Gastroscopy (endoscopy or OGD);
problems with change of bowel and bleeding; problems with acid-related symptoms; adolescents and young people with gut problems/ IBD
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist and Reader
St George's Univ. Hospitals NHS FoundationTrust
St George' University London
Queen Mary's Hospital Roehampton
Dr Richard Pollok trained at St Bartholomew's Hospital and won a highly sought after Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Training Fellowship gaining his PhD in the field of the gut immunity and GI infection. He was awarded The Digestive Disease Foundation (CORE) national research prize for this work. His current research programme focuses on the epidemiology and diagnosis of of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), bowel cancer and GI infection. He has been the principal investigator for more than 20 clinical trials. Hesouth London Gastroenterology Lead for the Clinical Research network and sit on the British Society of Gastroenterology IBD committee.
He sails and enjoys culture & arts
FRCP Fellow Royal College Physicians (London)
DTM&H Diploma of Tropical medicine (Liverpool)
BSc Infection and Immunity
PhD Mucosal immunology
MB BS Medicine
Crohn's and Colitis UK research funding
Wellcome Trust clinical research fellow
Digestive Diseases Fund national research prize
1.Alexakis C, Saxena S, Chhaya V, Cecil E, Majeed A, Pollok R. Smoking status at diagnosis and subsequent smoking cessation: associations with corticosteroid use and intestinal resection in Crohn's disease. Am J Gastroenterol Oct 2018
2. Taylor SA, .. Pollok RC,... METRIC study investigators. Diagnostic accuracy of magnetic resonance enterography and small bowel ultrasound for the extent and activity of newly diagnosed and relapsed Crohn's disease (METRIC): a multicentre trial. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Aug;3(8):548-558. doi: 10.1016/S2468-1253(18)30161-4.
3.Alexakis ..Pollok R. Systematic review and meta-analysis: the impact of a depressive state on disease course in adult inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017 Jun 2. doi: 10.1111/apt.14171
4. Heap GA, …Pollok R, ..et al. Clinical Features and HLA Association of 5-Aminosalicylate (5-ASA)-induced Nephrotoxicity in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. J Crohns Colitis. 2016 Feb;10(2):149-58.9
5.Chhaya V, .., Pollok RC: Steroid dependency and trends in prescribing for inflammatory bowel disease - a 20-year national population-based study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2016 Sep;44(5):482-94.
6.Chatu S, .. Pollok RC. The role of thiopurines in reducing the need for surgical resection in Crohn's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2014 Jan;109(1):23-34 (citations in google scholar 47)
7.Chatu S, ..Pollok RC. The Impact of Timing and Duration of Thiopurine Treatment on First Intestinal Resection in Crohn's Disease: National UK Population-Based Study 1989-2010. Am J Gastroenterol. 2014 (citations in google scholar 74)
8. JF Rahier..R Pollok et al. European evidence-based Consensus on the prevention, diagnosis and management of opportunistic infections in inflammatory bowel disease. Journal of Crohn's and Colitis 2013, 3 (2), 47-91
9.Agranoff D,..Pollok RCG..et al. Identification of diagnostic markers for tuberculosis by serum proteomic fingerprinting. Lancet 2006 Sep 16; 368(9540):1012-21.
10.Pollok RCG et al. Interferon-gamma induces enterocyte resistance to infection against the intracellular pathogen Cryptosporidium parvum. Gastroenterology 2001; 120: 99-107
Courses offered to GPs
I frequently talk on aspects of Inflammatory bowel disease; irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhoea; GI infection at Parkside hospital and am happy to accept invitations at request
- Felllow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP) Royal College of Physicians (London) 1996
- PhD Mucosal immunology University of London 2002
- BSc Infection and Imunology University of London 1986
- Diploma of Tropical Medicine & Hygeine Univ. Liverpool 1990
- MB BS St Bartholomew's medical School 1989
Reference number 3339181
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- IBD committee British Society of Gastroenterology 2017
- South London Gastroenterology Lead Clinical research Network 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology and General medicine, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
British Society of Gastroenterology
- Parkside Hospital
- 14:00 - 20:00
- 020 8971 8026
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
contact senior duty nurse
c/o Parkside Hospital tel 0208 9718000