- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Reconstructive surgery
- Urological malignancy
I qualified at St. Thomas’s Hospital Medical School in 1989 and carried out postgraduate surgical training in London at St George’s Hospital, The Institute of Urology (University College Hospital), Charing Cross Hospital. I was awarded an MD thesis (2000) for research into prostate cancer vaccines and gene therapy. I then did further training in laparoscopic urological surgery at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane and subsequently learned additional techniques at The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio.
I have been a Consultant Urological Surgeon at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (Charing Cross Hospital) and West Middlesex University Hospital since 2002. I have a specialist interest in the diagnosis and treatment of testis, kidney and bladder cancer with specialist skills in laparoscopic surgery, cystectomy and bladder reconstruction. I have performed over 800 laparoscopic kidney operations. I perform post-chemotherapy retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for the North West London and Mount Vernon Cancer Networks.
Since 2008 I have been the Lead Clinician for Urology at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust. He is Chair of the Specialist Multidisciplinary Team for Urological cancer for North West London. I was Chair of the Urology Tumour Working Group of the North West London Cancer Network from 2007 to 2013 and I am now a member of the Urology Pathway Group of the London Cancer Alliance. Since 2012 I have been a member of the National Cancer Research Institute (NCRI) Clinical Studies Group for Bladder Cancer. Since 2013 I have been a member of the Screening, Prevention & Early Diagnosis Advisory Group (SPED) of the NCRI.
Areas of interest
Diagnosis of Urological problems;
Kidney (renal) cancer; Laparoscopic surgery procedures ('keyhole surgery'); Bladder cancer; Reconstructive surgery; Second opinion for complex problems
- Clare Hayden
- 15 East Charing Cross Hospital Fulham Palace Road LONDON W6 8RF
- 020 3311 7768
- 020 8846 1119
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Urological Surgeon, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust (Charing Cross Hospital)
Consultant Urological Surgeon West Middlesex University Hospital
Lead Clinician in Urology for Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust.
Chair of the Urology Tumour Working Group, North West London Cancer Network
Chair of the Imperial Urological Cancer Specialist Multidisciplinary Team
Bladder and renal cancer
Cancer Research Excellence in Surgical Trials
2014 CREST Award: Winning Team Lead
33 Publications - only most recent presented here:
24. Perirenal schwannoma: a case report. El-Bahrawy M, Khoubehi B, Hrouda D. J Med Case Reports. 2008 Jun 2;2:189.
25. Multiple loci on 8q24 associated with prostate cancer susceptibility. Al Olama AA, ; UK Genetic Prostate Cancer Study Collaborators/British Association of Urological Surgeons' Section of Oncology; UK Prostate testing for cancer and Treatment study (ProtecT Study) Collaborators, Horwich A, Huddart RA, Khoo VS, Parker CC, Woodhouse CJ, Thompson A, Christmas T, Ogden C, Cooper C, Donovan JL, Hamdy FC, Neal DE, Eeles RA, Easton DF.
Nat Genet. 2009 Oct;41(10):1058-60. Epub 2009 Sep 20
26. Identification of seven new prostate cancer susceptibility loci through a genome-wide association study. Eeles RA, Genetic Prostate Cancer Study Collaborators/British Association of Urological Surgeons' Section of Oncology; UK ProtecT Study Collaborators; PRACTICAL Consortium, Easton DF.
Nat Genet. 2009 Oct;41(10):1116-21. Epub 2009 Sep 20
27. Systematic review of internal hernia formation following laparoscopic left nephrectomy. Cox R, Dalatzui N, Hrouda D, Buchanan GN.
Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2009 Nov;91(8):667-9. Epub 2009 Sep 25. Review.
28. Technique for urethral eversion and vesico-urethral anastomosis: application to robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy. Karim O, Mayer E, Kucheria R, Hrouda D, Vale J.
BJU Int. 2010 Jan;105(2):284-7.
29 Anti Ma2-associated myeloradiculopathy: expanding the phenotype of anti-Ma2 associated paraneoplastic syndromes. Murphy SM, Khan U, Alifrangis C, Hazell S, Hrouda D, Blake J, Ball J, Gabriel C, Markarian P, Rees J, Karim A, Seckl MJ, Lunn MP, Reilly MM.
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011 Jan 4
30 Laparoscopic assisted transversus abdominis plane block: a novel insertion technique during laparoscopic nephrectomy. Chetwood A, Agrawal S, Hrouda D, Doyle P. Anaesthesia. 2011 Apr;66(4):317-8.
31 Lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma of the urinary bladder: A case report and review of systemic treatment options. Pantelides NM, Ivaz SL, Falconer A, Hazell S, Winkler M, Hrouda D, Mayer EK. Urol Ann. 2012 Jan;4(1):45-7.
32 The role of laparoscopy and robotic surgery in the management of small renal masses. Hrouda D, Lienert A. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2012 Jun;12(6):799-810.
33 Tumour-to-tumour metastases: prostate carcinoma metastasising to a renal oncocytoma.
Petts G, Rashid T, Hrouda D, Ngo NT. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Jan 9;2013.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.baus.org.uk/patients/surgical_outcomes/nephrectomy/default.aspx
- MB BS UMDS - St Thomas's 1989
- BSC University of London 1986
- MD University of London 1990
- FRCS (Urol) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2000
- Preceptorship Cleveland Clinic, Ohio 2003
Reference number 3334760
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member of Bladder Clinical Studies Group National Cancer Research Institute 2012
- Screening, Prevention & Early Diagnosis Advisory Group (SPED) National Cancer Research Institute 2013
- Senate Member Clinical Reference Group for Specialist Urology Commissioning NHS England 2013
- Member National Cancer Intelligence Network Urology Group NCIN 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Entry to Specialist Register for Urology, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1993
British Association of Urological Surgeons, 1994
European Association of Urology, 1995
British Medical Association, 1989
- Charing Cross Hospital, W6 8RF
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 020 3311 7768
- King Edward VII's Hospital Sister Agnes, W1G 6AA
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 020 3311 7768
- Parkside Hospital, SW19 5NX
- 15:00 - 17:00
- 020 8971 8026
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.