- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac devices
- Coronary angiography
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: dual chamber pacemaker insertion
- Devices: implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Trans-oesophageal echocardiography
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Transthoracic echocardiography
Tertiary cardiologist with interest in echocardiography. Practice in imaging, device and drug therapy for arrhythmia and heart failure, myocardial ischaemia assessment, cardiomyopathy, pericardial and valvular heart disease. Chief Examiner of the Inaugural UK Transoesophageal Echocardiography Examination of the British Society of Echocardiogaphy. Part of the team that introduced TAVI to the UK in 2007. Honorary Assiciate Professor, Excellence in Clinical Teaching, University of Leicester Medical School 2017.
Lecturer/live operator at the British Society of Echocardiography Annual Meeting,
British Cardiovascular Society conference, SunEcho conference Cape Town, CSI Frankfurt Imaging/Intervention, Invazivni Kardiologie Czech Republic, Stress Echo Africa Live Nairobi, PCR London Valves, Advanced Cardiovascular Intervention BCIS, St George’s Hospital Transoesophageal Echo course, Hammersmith Hospital Echocardiology course, Leicester Structural Live/Devices Live/Stress Echo Live, Leicester Transoesophageal Echo/Emergency Echo/Focused Intensive Care Echo courses.
Areas of interest
Echocardiography (one-stop, stress, contrast, transoesophageal, interventional and intraoperative, echo for device programming); Valvular heart disease (device closure of defects, transcatheter valve implantation); Devices (pacemakers, loop recorders, defibrillators, resynchronisation for heart failure); Heart failure (cardiomyopathy, myocardial biopsy); Ischaemic heart disease (stress imaging, right and left heart catheterisation)
J Kovac, D Chin, et al. Novel TAVI designs. Cor et Vasa 2017;59:e42-e50.
J M Sinning, D Chin, et al. Decrease of pulmonary hypertension impacts on prognosis after transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Eurointervention 2013 doi:pii:20130414-01.
J-M Sinning, D Chin, et al. State of the Art Paper : Evaluation and management of paravalvar aortic regurgitation following transcatheter aortic valve implantation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;62(1):11-20.
J P Khoo, D Chin, et al. Differences in performance of five types of aortic valve prostheses: haemodynamic assessment by dobutamine stress echocardiography. Heart 2013;99:41-47.
R O Bonow, et al, for the STICH Investigators (Centre PI D Chin). Myocardial viability and survival in ischemic left ventricular dysfunction. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1617-25.
D Chin. Echocardiography for transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Eur J Echocardiogr 2009;10:i21-i29.
P Richardson, D Chin. Dilated Cardiomyopathy. In “Cardiology”, Ed: S Dalla Volta. McGraw-Hill 1999;chap 48:581-596.
DEVICES - mortality 0%, major complications 0.1% (system infection, trauma), minor complications 1% (lead displacement, haematoma).
STRESS ECHO - mortality 0%, major ischaemia or arrhythmia 1:3000.
TRANSOESOPHAGEAL ECHO - mortality 0%, failed intubation 1%, oversedation <0.1%.
CARDIAC CATHETERISATION/BIOPSY - mortality 0%, major complications 0.1%, minor complications 1%.
- MBBS University of London 1988
- MRCP UK 1991
- Ionising Radiation Protection Institute of Physical Sciences in Medicine 1991
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider Resuscitation Council UK 1995
- Adult Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 1996
- Certificates of Completion in Specialist Training (Cardiovascular and General Internal Medicine) Specialist Training Authority of the Medical Royal Colleges 1999
- FRCP London 2003
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 2007
- Reaccreditation in Adult and Transoesophageal Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, General Internal Medicine, 1999
- Nuffield Health Leicester Hospital
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 0116 237 4089
- Spire Leicester Hospital
- 08:00 - 13:00
- 0116 237 4089
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Transoesophageal echocardiography (including reporting) (as sole procedure) - (5-50)
Exercise or dobutamine stress echocardiography (including ECG and reporting) - (1-5)
Cardiac pacemaker system introduced through vein (dual chamber) - (1-5)
Glenfield Hospital (1-5)
IV sedation administered by operator - (1-5)
Spire Leicester Hospital (1-5)
External cardioversion - (1-5)
- Show All (6)...