- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: dual chamber pacemaker insertion
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
- Trans-oesophageal echocardiography
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Transthoracic echocardiography
Tertiary cardiologist with interest in echocardiography. Practice in imaging, device and drug therapy for arrhythmia and heart failure, myocardial ischaemia assessment, cardiomyopathy, pericardial and valvular heart disease. Chief Examiner of the Inaugural UK Transoesophageal Echocardiography Examination of the British Society of Echocardiogaphy. Part of the team that introduced TAVI to the UK in 2007.
1. British Cardiovascular Society conference 2014: The little old lady’s heart – assessing the patient with low gradient severe aortic stenosis
2. SunEcho conference, Cape Town, 2014: 3D echo, Stress echo, TAVI echo, Mitral valve disease, Prosthetic valve assessment.
3. St George’s Hospital Transoesophageal Echocardiography Course, London 2003-2014: TOE in the catheterisation laboratory, TAVI, Balloon mitral valvuloplasty, New technology, Mitral regurgitation -anatomy & repair, Prosthetic endocarditis, Prosthesis normal & abnormal, Unusual cases, PFO closure.
4. Cardiorespiratory Care Undergraduate Induction Programme, Leicester 2014: Objectives, Cardiovascular history taking, Presenting complaints, Clinical examination, Cardiology cases, Quiz.
5. East Midlands Specialist Registrar Training Days, Leicester: Imaging 2014 - 3D and interventional echocardiograpy. Devices 2013 - Selection for device therapy.
6. Hammersmith Echocardiocardiology, London 2013-14: Intraoperative transoesophageal echocardiography.
7. Focused Intensive Care Echocardiography, Leicester 2013-14: Common FICE pathologies and interesting cases. Hands-on teaching.
8. Cardiology Imaging Day 4, Royal Society of Medicine, London, 2013: Echocardiography for transcatheteri procedures & devices.
9. Advanced Cardiovascular Intervention 2013: The Edwards TAVI and the Watchman left atrial appendage occlusion procedures.
Areas of interest
Echocardiography (one-stop, stress, contrast, transoesophageal, interventional and intraoperative, echo for device programming); Valvular heart disease (device closure of defects, transcatheter valve implantation); Devices (pacemakers, loop recorders, defibrillators, resynchronisation for heart failure); Heart failure (cardiomyopathy, myocardial biopsy); Ischaemic heart disease (stress imaging, right and left heart catheterisation)
1. J M Sinning, D Chin, et al. Decrease of pulmonary hypertension impacts on prognosis after transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Eurointervention 2013 doi:pii:20130414-01.
2. J-M Sinning, D Chin, et al. State of the Art Paper : Evaluation and management of paravalvar aortic regurgitation following transcatheter aortic valve implantation. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;62(1):11-20.
3. M Vasa-Nicotera, D Chin, et al. Impact of paravalvular leakage on outcome in patients after transcatheter aortic valve implantation. J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2012;5(8):858-865.
4. J P Khoo, D Chin, et al. Differences in performance of five types of aortic valve prostheses: haemodynamic assessment by dobutamine stress echocardiography. Heart 2013;99:41-47.
5. E Peng, D Chin, et al. Mitrofast annuloplasty ring for complete posterior leaflet destruction: A novel approach in active endocarditis. J Cardiovasc Surg 2012;53(3):401-3.
6. E J Velazquez, et al, for the STICH Investigators (Centre PI D Chin). Coronary artery bypass surgery in patients with left ventricular dysfunction. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1607-16.
7. R O Bonow, et al, for the STICH Investigators (Centre PI D Chin). Myocardial viability and survival in ischemic left ventricular dysfunction. N Engl J Med 2011;364:1617-25.
8. H Jilaihawi, D Chin, et al. Comparison of complete versus incomplete stent frame expansion after transcatheter aortic valve implantation with Medtronic CoreValve prosthesis. Am J Cardiol 2011;107(12):1830-1837.
9. H Jilaihawi, D Chin, et al. Anatomic suitability for present and next generation transcatheter aortic valve prostheses: Evidence for a complementary multidevice approach to treatment. J Am Coll Cardiol Intv 2010;3(8):859-866.
10. H Jilaihawi, D Chin, et al. Prosthesis-patient mismatch after transcatheter aortic valve implantation with the Medtronic-CoreValve bioprosthesis. Eur Heart J 2010;31(7):857-864.
11. D Chin. Echocardiography for transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Eur J Echocardiogr 2009;10:i21-i29.
DEVICES - mortality 0%, major complications 0.1% (system infection, trauma), minor complications 1% (lead displacement, haematoma).
STRESS ECHO - mortality 0%, major ischaemia or arrhythmia 1:3000.
TRANSOESOPHAGEAL ECHO - mortality 0%, failed intubation 1%, oversedation <0.1%.
CARDIAC CATHETERISATION/BIOPSY - mortality 0%, major complications 0.1%, minor complications 1%.
- MBBS University of London 1988
- MRCP UK 1991
- Ionising Radiation Protection Institute of Physical Sciences in Medicine 1991
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Provider Resuscitation Council UK 1995
- Adult Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 1996
- Certificates of Completion in Specialist Training (Cardiovascular and General Internal Medicine) Specialist Training Authority of the Medical Royal Colleges 1999
- FRCP London 2003
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 2007
- Reaccreditation in Adult and Transoesophageal Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, General Internal Medicine, 1999
- Nuffield Health Leicester Hospital
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 0116 237 4089
- Spire Leicester Hospital
- 08:00 - 13:00
- 0116 237 4089
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details