- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Inflammatory bowel disease
A consultant since 2001 I have developed a variety of services in my NHS practice and these are reflected in my private practice.
Developed and led the Hepatology service at Basildon hospital
Clinical lead for Endoscopy form 2005-2015
Developed and led the South Essex Bowel cancer screening service 2007-2016
Run a Tertiary referral service for complex colonoscopy cases serving the East of England.
Developed an acute pancreatology service NHS transforming the care of acute pancreatitis at Basildon Hospital.
Areas of interest
Liver disease; Pancreatology; Complex endoscopy; Colonic disease;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals
Colonic neoplasia, complex endoscopy and outcomes
Photography, travel, fine wines and good company
Exhibitioner to Malvern College
Rolleston scholarship to St.John's College Cambridge
Clinical Excellence award 9 for my contributions to the NHS
1) Siew C. Ng, Susannah Woodrow, Nisha Patel, Javaid Subhani, Marcus Harbord. "The Role of Genetic and Environmental Factors In British Twins with Inflammatory Bowel Disease". Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2012 Apr; 18(4):725-36
2) Melleney EM, Subhani JM, Willoughby CP "Dysphagia referrals to a district general hospital gastroenterology unit: hard to swallow."Dysphagia. 2004 Spring;19(2):78-82.
3)Pazianas M, Butcher GP, Subhani JM, Finch PJ, Ang L, Collins C, Heaney RP, Zaidi M, Maxwell JD.
" Calcium absorption and bone mineral density in celiacs after long term treatment with gluten-free diet and adequate calcium intake." Osteoporos Int. 2005 Jan;16(1):56-63. Epub 2004 Jun 17.
4) Pazianas M, Zaidi M, Subhani JM, Finch PJ, Ang L, Maxwell JD. " Efferent loop small intestinal vitamin D receptor concentration and bone mineral density after Billroth II (Polya) gastrectomy in humans."Calcif Tissue Int. 2003 Apr;72(4):485-90. Epub 2003 Feb 10.
5) Singh P, Khan A, Jasper M, Subhani J." Obscure upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage: haemosuccus pancreaticus."BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Oct 27;2016. pii: bcr2016217350. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-217350
6).Choo WK, Subhani J. "Complication rates of colonic polypectomy in relation to polyp characteristics and techniques: a district hospital experience." J Interv Gastroenterol. 2012 Jan;2(1):8-11. Epub 2012 Jan 1.
Courses offered to GPs
I lecture regular to GPs. Including the following titles
Nuggets from NICE
Alarming symptoms from the Gut
Abnormal Liver function tests
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
Update in upper GI disease
Bowel cancer Screening programme
- MB BChir Cambridge University 1988
- BA Cambridge University 1986
- FRCP Royal College Of Physicians 2004
Reference number 3288838
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology / GIM, 2001
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
American Gastroenterology Association
American Society Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Eagle WayBRENTWOODCM13 3LE
- 08:30 - 10:30
- 01277 232525
- Shenfield Road Shenfield BRENTWOODCM15 8EH
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01277 695695
- Shenfield RoadShenfieldBRENTWOODCM15 8EH
- 10:30 - 13:00
- 01277 695695
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Nuffield Brentwood Hospital (01277 695695) who will contact myself or designated deputy