- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Accredited endoscopist
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Accredited endoscopist
A consultant since 2001 I have developed a variety of services for the NHS and these are reflected in my private practice.
Developed and led the Hepatology service at Basildon hospital
Clinical lead for Endoscopy form 2005-2015
Group Clinical Director of Endoscopy (Basildon, Broomfield and Southend Hospitals) 2020-
Developed and led the South Essex Bowel cancer screening service 2007-2016
Run a Tertiary referral service for complex colonoscopy cases serving the East of England.
Developed an acute pancreatology service NHS transforming the care of acute pancreatitis at Basildon Hospital.
Areas of interest
Liver disease; Pancreatology; Complex endoscopy; Colonic disease;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Gastroenterologist at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals
Colonic neoplasia, complex endoscopy and outcomes
Photography, travel, fine wines and good company
Exhibitioner to Malvern College (1977)
Rolleston scholarship to St.John's College Cambridge (1983)
Clinical Excellence award 9 for my contributions to the NHS (2014 and reaffirmed 2019)
1) Siew C. Ng, Susannah Woodrow, Nisha Patel, Javaid Subhani, Marcus Harbord. "The Role of Genetic and Environmental Factors In British Twins with Inflammatory Bowel Disease". Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2012 Apr; 18(4):725-36
2) Melleney EM, Subhani JM, Willoughby CP "Dysphagia referrals to a district general hospital gastroenterology unit: hard to swallow."Dysphagia. 2004 Spring;19(2):78-82.
3)Pazianas M, Butcher GP, Subhani JM, Finch PJ, Ang L, Collins C, Heaney RP, Zaidi M, Maxwell JD.
" Calcium absorption and bone mineral density in celiacs after long term treatment with gluten-free diet and adequate calcium intake." Osteoporos Int. 2005 Jan;16(1):56-63. Epub 2004 Jun 17.
4) Pazianas M, Zaidi M, Subhani JM, Finch PJ, Ang L, Maxwell JD. " Efferent loop small intestinal vitamin D receptor concentration and bone mineral density after Billroth II (Polya) gastrectomy in humans."Calcif Tissue Int. 2003 Apr;72(4):485-90. Epub 2003 Feb 10.
5) Singh P, Khan A, Jasper M, Subhani J." Obscure upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage: haemosuccus pancreaticus."BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Oct 27;2016. pii: bcr2016217350. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2016-217350
6).Choo WK, Subhani J. "Complication rates of colonic polypectomy in relation to polyp characteristics and techniques: a district hospital experience." J Interv Gastroenterol. 2012 Jan;2(1):8-11. Epub 2012 Jan 1.
Courses offered to GPs
I lecture regular to GPs. Including the following titles
Nuggets from NICE
Alarming symptoms from the Gut
Abnormal Liver function tests
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease
Update in upper GI disease
Bowel cancer Screening programme
Colonoscopy outcomes 2017-2020
Caecal completion intention to treat 98-99%
Moderate discomfort 0.65%
Polypectomies : 2457
Large polypectomies/EMR: 296
Post-colonoscopy Colorectal cancer. The number of cancers detected in the three years after a clear colonoscopy or one in which all polyps removed. (Exclusions IBD, EMR).
Study done over 6 years 2010 - end 2015 with an additional 3 years of followup for cancer development.
3176 colonoscopies no cancers detected during followup.
- MB BChir Cambridge University 1988
- BA-genetics Cambridge University 1986
- FRCP Royal College Of Physicians 2004
Reference number 3288838
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology / GIM, 2001
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
American Society Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Eagle WayBRENTWOODCM13 3LE
- 08:30 - 10:30
- 01277 232525
- Shenfield Road Shenfield BRENTWOODCM15 8EH
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01277 695695
- Shenfield Road, Shenfield BRENTWOODCM15 8EH
- 10:30 - 13:00
- 01277 695695
Post treatment communication
Nuffield Brentwood Hospital (01277 695695) who will contact myself or designated deputy