- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 15 Apr 2020
- Head & neck oncology
Cyrus Kerawala graduated with an honours degrees both dentistry (1985) and medicine (1992) from the University of London. During training he was awarded 17 undergraduate prizes. After experience in general surgery and neurosurgery he spent five years of specialist head and neck training in the North East of England. Mr Kerawala passed the Intercollegiate Examination in Maxillofacial Surgery in September 1998 and has been on the Specialist Register of the General Medical Council since August 1999. After eight years as a Consultant at the Royal Surrey County Hospital (Guildford) and North Hampshire Hospital (Basingstoke) he moved to join the Head and Neck Unit at the Royal Marsden Hospital. The Unit acts as a secondary and tertiary referral service for complex head and neck oncological problems from both the United Kingdom and abroad.
Mr Kerawala is author of a book on Maxillofacial Surgery and has written numerous chapters in other books. He has also authored some 80 peer-reviewed publications. He devotes a significant amount of time to teaching, professional training and continuing medical education. He has presented over 100 papers at international and national meetings and has been invited to lecture throughout Europe, America, the Middle East, Asia and Australia.
Mr Kerawala is at the forefront of head and neck cancer surgery and in 2011 carried out the first trans-oral robotic resection of a tumour in the UK. In the same year he was featured in The Times newspaper as one of Britain’s 50 top surgeons. He was the Clinical Lead for the NICE guidelines on upper aerodigestive tract cancer published in February 2016 and Honorary Treasurer of the British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists.
Areas of interest
Head and neck cancer; transoral robotic surgery; microvascular reconstruction; salivary gland disorders; cutaneous malignancy; osteoradionecrosis; disorders of the jaw joint;
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Maxillofacial / Head and Neck Surgeon, The Royal Marsden Hospital, London.
Head of Department, Head and Neck Unit, The Royal Marsden Hospital, London
Osteoradionecrosis, marginal control of head and neck cancer, free tissue transfer, oral dysplasia.
Reference number 3584352
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Clinical lead, upper aerodigestive tract cancer guidelines NICE 2014
- External professional advisor Health Service Ombudsman 2016
- President British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists 2019
- Final FRCS examiner Intercollegiate Specialties Board 2015
- Panel member - registration, certification and revalidation appeals General Medical Council 2014
- Clinical Advisor National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death 2014
- Liaison member SAC, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2014
- RCS (Eng) representative Intercollegiate Board in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 1999
- 280 King's Road LONDON SW3 5AW
- 18:30 - 20:00
- 01252 850106
- Basing Road Old Basing BASINGSTOKE RG24 7AL
- 13:00 - 18:00
- 01252 850106
- Spire Clare Park Hospital, GU10 5XX
- 08:30 - 10:30
- 01252 850106
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.