- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Stress echocardiography
Dr. Kenny qualified in medicine in Dublin in 1983 and completed her postgraduate cardiology training at St. James's Hospital Dublin and Papworth Hospital Cambridge. She was awarded the Grimshaw-Parkinson Fellowship from Cambridge University for her research towards an MD thesis in echocardiography at Papworth Hospital.
Following her clinical cardiology training and MD thesis she was appointed Fellow in Echocardiography at the Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon, USA. There she undertook training in advanced echocardiography, including three-dimensional echo techniques, with Professor David Sahn the internationally renowned specialist in echocardiography.
Dr. Kenny was appointed as Consultant Cardiologist and Clinical Head of Echocardiography at The Regional Cardiothoracic Centre, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne in 1994. She was made a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, London, in 1998 and of the Royal College of Physicians, Ireland, in 1999.
Clinical Practice and Echocardiography Experience:
Dr. Kenny runs a well-regarded clinical cardiology practice at Freeman Hospital which includes all aspects of general cardiology including acute coronary care.
She is a specialist in Echocardiography and, as Clinical Head of Echocardiography at Freeman Hospital for over 20 years, has gained a vast experience in assessing patients with heart failure, valve disorders and inherited cardiomyopathies. She specialises in transthoracic echocardiography, contrast and bubble echocardiography, transoesophageal echocardiography, stress echocardiography and echocardiography for selection of patients for biventricular pacing.
Her expertise includes selection of patients for advanced valve replacement techniques such as TAVI (transcutaneous aortic valve implantation) and minimally invasive surgery. She is part of the TAVI team at Freeman Hospital and also a member of the Specialist Heart Valve Team, providing specialist echocardiographic expertise for the selection of patients for valve surgery.
Dr. Kenny holds full accreditation with the British Society of Echocardiography the national benchmark of quality in performing and interpreting Echo scans.
Sports Cardiology Experience:
Dr. Kenny has a long standing interest in sports cardiology and is cardiologist to a number of premiership football teams including Newcastle United and Sunderland AFC. She is also a cardiology adviser to the Football Association which involves cardiology evaluation of England team players.
Dr. Kenny runs HeartScan, a private clinic offering cardiology diagnostic services, based at The Osborne Clinic, 22 Osborne Avenue, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1JQ.
Areas of interest
Echocardiography; Valvular Heart Disease; Heart Failure; Sports Cardiology; Cardiovascular Screening; High Blood Pressure / Hypertension ; Chest Pain; Shortness of Breath; Palpitations; Cardiac Imaging; Angina; General Cardiology
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist and Clinical Head of Echocardiography (19994 to present).
The Regional Cardiothoracic Centre, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne NE7 7DN
Dr. Kenny has developed and led research studies in advanced applications of echocardiography over the last two decades and has published widely in peer reviews journals. She is particular interested in the assessment of novel echocardiography techniques and their translation into clinical practice. Her research interests also include the utility of echocardiography in assessment of heart failure in the very elderly patients.
Dr. Kenny has had a leadership role with the British Society of Echocardiography developing and supporting standards and quality in delivery of national echocardiography services.
As part of a continued commitment to education Dr. Kenny has directed a national Echocardiography Course for the last 20 years.
She has also co-authored a well-received textbook of echocardiography which has been translated into other languages.
Selected recent publications:
1. Utility of NT-proBNP as a rule-out test for left ventricular dysfunction in very old people with limiting dyspnoea: the Newcastle 85+ Study
J Collerton , A Kingston , F Yousaf, K Davies, A Kenny, D Neely, C Martin-Ruiz, G MacGowan, L Robinson, T Kirkwood, B Keavney.
BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2014; 14:128.
2. Prevalence of left ventricular dysfunction in a UK community sample of very old people: the Newcastle 85+ study. Yousaf F, Collerton J, Kingston A, Kenny A, Davies K, Jagger C, Robinson L, Kirkwood TB, Keavney B:
Heart 2012, 98(19):1418-1423.
3. Telomere length is associated with left ventricular function in the oldest old: the Newcastle 85+ study.
Collerton J, Martin-Ruiz C, Kenny A, Barrass K, von Zglinicki T, Kirkwood T, Keavney B.
Newcastle 85+ Core Study Team
European Heart Journal 2007; 28:172-176
4. The accuracy of real-time three-dimensional Doppler echocardiography for stroke volume estimation compared to phase-encoded magnetic resonance imaging: an in vivo study.
J Pemberton, M Jerosch-Herold, X Li, L Hui, M Silberbach, W Woodward, K Thiele, A Kenny, DJ Sahn.
5. Dobutamine stress echocardiography is highly accurate for the prediction of contractile reserve in the early postoperative period, but may underestimate late recovery in contractile reserve after revascularization of the hibernating myocardium.
T Zaglavara, HI Karvounis, R Haaverstad, TM Pillay, JRL Hamilton, A Hasan, GE Parharidis, GE Louridas, JH Dark, A Kenny.
J Am Soc Echocardiography 2006;19:300-306.
6. Detection of myocardial viability by dobutamine stress echocardiography: Incremental value of diastolic wall thickness measurement.
T. Zaglavara, T. Pillay, H. Karvounis, R. Haaverstad, G. Parharidis, G. Louridas, A. Kenny
7. Usefulness of real-time three-dimensional echocardiography for reliable measurement of cardiac output in patients with ischemic or idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy.
SM Fleming, B Cumberledge, C Kiesewetter, G Parry, A. Kenny
Am J Cardiol 2005 Jan 15;95(2):308-10.
8. The Use of Live Three-Dimensional Doppler Echocardiography in the Measurement of Cardiac Output: An in vivo Animal Study.
J Pemberton, X Li, T Karamlou, CA. Sandquist, K Thiele, I Shen, RM. Ungerleider, A Kenny, DJ. Sahn.
Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2005; 45:433-438.
- MB BCh BAO University College Dublin 1983
- MRCPI Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 1986
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1987
- MD Univeristy College Dublin 1994
- FRCP (London) Fellowship Royal College of Physicians 1998
- FRCPI Fellowship Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 1999
- Accreditation in Transthoracic Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 1995
- Re-Accreditation in Transthoracic Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 2007
- Re-Accreditation in Transthoracic Echocardiography British Society of Echocardiography 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, 1996
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Echocardiography (BSE) Council 1997-2004.
Chair, BSE Scientific and Research Committee 1997-2004.
Editor, Heart Echocardiography Supplement 1999-2003.
Football Association Cardiology Consensus Panel, current.
British Cardiovascular Society
British Society of Echocardiography
European Association of Echocardiography
- The Osborne Clinic
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 0191 646 1066
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.