- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Accredited endoscopist
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Accredited endoscopist
Areas of interest
Pancreatic cancer; Oesophageal cancer; Liver cancer; Liver pathology; Stomach; Hepatobiliary(medicine); Colonoscopy; Abdominal pain; Gastro-oesophageal reflux; Bowel disease including inflammatory (IBD); Endoscopic procedures; Oesophagogastic cancer; Interventional endoscopy; Malabsorption; Biliary disease; Cancer diagnosis; Rectal cancer; Gall bladder; Endoscopy - therapeutic; Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS); Rectal bleeding; Colorectal disease (Lower GI); Colon cancer; Endoscopy - upper GI; Pancreatobiliary diseases; Functional bowel disorders; Liver disease; Pancreatic surgery / disorders; Hepatitis; Endoscopy - lower GI; Colitis; Crohn's disease; Dyspepsia (indigestion); Colorectal (bowel) cancer
- Christine Farge
- Spire London East Hospital Roding Lane South Ilford IG4 5PZ
- 07581 492496
- 07891 547934
- 01277 888932
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist at BHR Hospitals NHS Trust (King George Hospital).
Metabolic nutritional support in acute and chronic catabolic states.
1) Fawcett H.V, Bettany G.E.A. Healthy Eating and Lifestyles. Professional Nurse. November 1993.
2) Bettany G.E.A. and Powell-Tuck J. Malnutrition: Incidence, diagnosis, causes, effects and indications for nutritional support. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 7:494-500, 1995.
3) Bettany G.E.A, Ang B.C, Georgiannos S.N, Halliday D, Powell-Tuck J. Bed rest decreases whole body protein turnover in post absorptive man. Clinical Science. 90: 73-75, 1996.
4) Bettany G.E.A, Newland A.C, Halliday D, Powell-Tuck J. Protein turnover, energy expenditure and body composition in patients with acute leukaemia undergoing chemotherapy. Haematology. Vol 1: 199-206, 1996.
5) Bettany G.E.A. and Powell-Tuck J. Nutritional support in Surgery (Review). Surgery. Vol 15:10; 233-237, 1997.
6) Bettany G.E.A, Camacho-Hubner C, Obeid O, Halliday D, Powell-Tuck J. Metabolic effects of adjuvant recombinant human growth hormone in patients with continuing sepsis receiving parenteral nutrition. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Vol 22, No 4, 199-205, 1998.
7). Powell-Tuck J., Jamieson C.P., Bettany G.E.A., Obeid O., Fawcett H.V., Archer C., Murphy D. A double blind, randomised, controlled trial of glutamine supplementation in parenteral nutrition. Gut. 45: 82-88, 1999.
8). Tiwari A., Hussain M., Coker J., Jacob S., Bettany GEA. ERCP and diagnosis of unexplained hyperbilirubinaemia. Hospital Medicine. Vol 66 No 1 January 2005.
9. Melzer M. Toner R. Lacey S. Bettany E. Rait G. Biliary tract infection and bacteraemia: presentation, structural abnormalities, causative organisms and clinical outcomes. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 83(986):773-6, 2007 Dec.
10. Bidwai A. Bettany GE. Lauffer GL. Are colonoscopy miss rates the gold standard for colonoscopy skills? Journal of Evolution in Clinical Practice. 14 (1):157-8, 2008 Feb.
Courses offered to GPs
I present to GP's on any subject within gastroenterology that may be part of their educational programme/CPD courses. This is to both act within an educational capacity and to build good professional working relationships by face to face meeting with my primary care colleagues.
Using a prospective data collection system which I undertake for both NHS and private practice procedures, I perform the following:
OGD: Over 300 examinations a year
Colonoscopy: Over 325 examinations a year
ERCP (NHS only): Over 50 examinations a year
In 17 years of private practice, I have had one complication following colonoscopy (post polypectomy bleed) requiring repeat colonoscopy later that day to apply a clip and stop the bleeding.
Within the NHS I have had one perforation following achalasia balloon dilatation and two perforations following sphincterotomy at ERCP.
Mortality rate is 0%.
I undertake 360 degree patient feedback with excellent outcomes in all parameters measured.
- B.Sc.(Hons) First Class London University 1984
- M.R.C.P. Royal College of Physicians (London) 1992
- MB.BS. London University 1987
- MD University of London 1996
- F.R.C.P Royal College of Physicians (London) 2003
Reference number 3246948
Details of entry to specialist register
- General (internal) Medicine and Gastroenterology, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
British Society of Gastroenterology
Royal College of Physicians (London)
Medical Defence Union
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.