- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at OCL Vision .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Refractive surgery
Ms Laura de Benito is an eye surgeon specialising in corneal transplant, cataract, lens, and laser eye surgery. She is considered to be kind and approachable by her patients, and many of her new patients are recommended by her existing patients.
Ms de Benito graduated with honours at the top of her year at medical school. She did her ophthalmology residency in Madrid, Spain. She was fellowship trained in cornea, lens and laser eye surgery in Madrid and at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London. She was awarded a PhD with honours for her thesis on corneal wound healing after laser eye surgery and is considered an expert in the field of surface laser eye surgery (LASEK and TransPRK). She is a fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists (FRCOphth). She is accredited by the Royal College of Ophthalmologists to perform laser eye surgery and holds the Certificate in Laser & Refractive Surgery (Cert LRS).
Areas of interest
Cornea; cataract; refractive lens exchange; laser vision correction; pterygium; keratoconus
Current NHS consultant posts held
Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS FT
162 City road
Refractive surgery, mitomycin C, surface ablation, femtoLASIK, corneal graft outcomes
Clinical Excelence Awards in 2018, 2019, 2020 for work with auditing graft outcomes.
PhD with honours (cum laude) in laser refractive vision correction
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Spanish - Native or bilingual
- French - Conversational
- Italian - Basic
Posterior capsule rupture rate (PCR rate) during cataract surgery: <0.5% since the beginning of my career. For the last 8 years: 0%.
The RCOphth accepts a PCR rate of around 2% nationally.
- Graduate with Honours (Summa cum Laude) in Medicine and Surgery Valencia Medical school, Valencia, Spain 2000
- PhD (thesis) Title: “Corneal Refractive Surgery with the Excimer Laser: Advanced Surface Ab-lation Procedures”. University Complutense Madrid, Spain 2007
- Certificate in Laser and Refractive Surgery, Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK 2018
- Fellow of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK 2018
- Fellowship Cornea, Ocular Surface and Anterior Segment Department Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK 2010
- Residency training in Ophthalmology Hospital General Universitario Gregorio Marañón, Madrid, Spain 2005
- Observership in Neuro-Ophthalmology Beth Israel North and The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York, NY, US 2003
- Observership in Cornea Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, US. 2006
Reference number 7033891
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow of the RCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Registered with a licence to practise, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
- Fellow of the RCOphth
- Member of the ESCRS (European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons)
- Member of the Spanish Society of Ophthalmology
- 55 New CavendishLondonW1G 9DF
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 020 3369 2020
- Private Patient Administration Centre162 City...
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 020 3369 2020
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 3369 2020