- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
• I am lead for Southampton Allergy Centre, which has recently won the award of "World Centre of Excellence" by the World Allergy Organisation. I provide allergy services to the Wessex region with leading and managing roles. In 2012, the service was registered with IQAS (Improvement in Quality of Allergy Service, an RCP initiative) and recognised as a high quality regional service. We are seeking specialist commissioning for this service.
• I am a member of: (i) NIHR South RfPB panel, (ii) NICE asthma diagnostic committee, (iii) British Society of Allergy & Clinical Immunology Council, (iv) European and US Guideline Committee for Food Allergy, and (v) NIH (USA) Expert panel. I am Associate Editor of Clinical & Experimental Allergy Journal.
• During the last 5 years, I have published 52 scientific articles in high impact journals, one book and 4 book chapters and made 67 presentations at international conferences. I have been awarded six research grants totalling in excess of £17m from National Institute of Health Research (NIHR), Medical Research Council and National Institute of Health (NIH), USA. I was promoted to Professor of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in 2009.
• I am training two NTN Registrars in Allergy and supervise five PhD and two DM students. I lead the undergraduate Allergy Curriculum and the MSc Food Allergy module and coordinate Year 3 Respiratory SSU and academic FY2 training at University of Southampton medical school.
Areas of interest
Allergies; Asthma; Food Allergy; Urticaria; drug allergy
- Sharon Ward
- 023 8076 4390
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant physician and Allergists at:
Southampton General Hospital,
Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospital
St. Mary's Hospital, Isle of Wight.
World Centre of Excellence 2014
Pfizer Professor 2004
Outstanding clinical Abstract 1992
Over 150 scientific publications
Several books and book chapters
Author of international guidelines
Courses offered to GPs
Southampton Annual GP Course
Bournemouth Annual GP Course
- MBBS University of Karachi 1979
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 1986
- DM University of Southampton 1992
- Clinical Fellow Johns Hopkins University 1994
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Council Member British Society of Allergy & Clinical Immunology 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- General and Respiratory Medicine, 1999