- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Video and telephone consultations
I’m a Clinical Psychologist with 12 years of experience of practicing in the NHS. I have predominately worked with adults who are adjusting to and coping with a range of physical health challenges including traumatic injuries such as burns and amputations, and health conditions including chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain, COPD, and cancer. Through my varied experience with a wide range of individuals, I have gained specialist interests in the following areas:
• Adjusting to, managing and coping with long term physical health conditions
• Post trauma symptoms following accidents, assaults, and traumas related to medical treatment
• Managing anxiety relating to physical health
• Managing appearance concerns and social anxiety
• Self-esteem particularly when this is challenged by changes in our physical health, work or by other life transitions or challenges
• Psychological wellbeing and work
I draw on a range of evidence-based approaches in my clinical work including Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Motivational Interviewing, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), relational and narrative approaches. I am flexible and collaborative in my approach and endeavour to carefully and thoughtfully understand each individuals’ difficulties and to work collaboratively to find the right approach for each individual.
I work as part of a small team of Psychologists at Flow Clinical Psychology. Please contact us by phone or email for a brief consultation to discuss your specific preferences and needs.
Areas of interest
Adults; Trauma; PTSD; Coping with physical health problems; Anxiety; Depression; Self esteem; Self confidence; Grief; Loss; Bereavement; Coping; Managing Stress; Burnout; Social Anxiety; Organisational; Wellbeing at work; Appearance anxiety;
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Pain management
- Rheumatological conditions
UWE (2009) Achievements in Health Psychology Academic Prize
Russell, C. & Fountain, A. (2018) Role of Clinical Psychology in UK Hospices. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care.
Russell, C., Kyle, S. D., & Wearden, A. J. (2016). Do evidence based interventions for chronic fatigue syndrome improve sleep? A systematic review and narrative synthesis. Sleep Medicine Reviews.
Russell, C., Wearden, A. J., Fairclough, G., Emsley, R. A., & Kyle, S. D. (2015). Subjective But Not Actigraphy-Defined Sleep Predicts Next-Day Fatigue in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Prospective Daily Diary Study. Sleep.
Russell, C., Harcourt, D., Henderson, L., & Marks, D. I. (2011). Patients' experiences of appearance changes following allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Cancer nursing.
Harcourt, D., Russell, C., Hughes, J., White, P., Nduka, C., & Smith, R. (2011). Patient satisfaction in relation to nipple reconstruction: The importance of information provision. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery.
- BSc Applied Psychology Cardiff University 2008
- Professional Doctorate in Clinical Psychology University of Manchester 2015
- MSc Health Psychology UWE Bristol 2009