- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Inflammatory bowel disease
Dr Praful Patel's speciality is Gastroenterology and Endoscopy covering both upper and lower parts of the gastrointestinal tract. The common symptoms he deals with include indigestion, iron deficiency anaemia, abdominal pain, diarrhoea/constipation, rectal bleeding, and jaundice. His expertise and training is in endoscopy including gastroscopy, capsule endoscopy, ERCP and colonoscopy.
He is the senior consultant for GI / endoscopy in Southampton and has trained many of the consultants in the region.
Praful graduated in Manchester, moving down to London where he carried out most of his training but completing the final stages in Winchester and Southampton. He was appointed consultant gastroenterologist in Southampton in 1997. He consults both in the NHS and privately when a referral is made by a GP or a consultant colleague.
Areas of interest
GULLET, STOMACH & BOWEL SYMPTOMS: Cancer diagnosis. Peptic ulcer. Acid reflux & Barrett's Oesophagus. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Colitis & Crohn's disease (IBD). Coeliac disease. Colonic polyps. Gallstones. Anaemia.
Capsule (camera in pill) endoscopy. Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy. Removal of polyps & early cancer. ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)
- Wendie Hopkins
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close Southampton SO16 6UY
- 023 8076 4397
- 023 8077 3735
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Jonathan M Fennell Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
*Consultant Gastroenterologist/Endoscopy Specialist Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
*Honorary Senior Lecturer
*Regional QA Lead for Endoscopy
*Director of Hampshire Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
Director Regional Endoscopy Training centre (UHS)
Lead Clinician for Wessex Barrett's Oesophagus Charity
I have supervised research projects in GI disease for the last 20 years. My main interest has been in the relationship between inflammation and cancer in GI disease, epidemiology, cost-effectiveness and endoscopic management of pre-cancerous lesions in the GI tract and developing endoscopic technology. I have supervised several projects at Southampton, nationally and internationally.
I enjoy sailing, golf and travelling.
* BSG award 2016 for first to introduce novel full thickness endoscopic bowel resection in UK
* International Endoscopy Crystal Awards for research into capsule endoscopy 2014, by American Endoscopy Society
* Research Excellence award United European Conference 2014
* Dragon’s Den BSG endoscopy research prize 2014
* Wessex Notable Education award, by Health education Wessex 2013
Over a 25 year period, I have published over 60 articles, reviews and book chapters, mainly in the field of endoscopy.
Courses offered to GPs
Evening GP seminars by request
- MBChB University of Manchester 1986
- MD University of Manchester 1995
Reference number 3189434
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Endoscopy & Oesophageal section committee member British Society of Gastroenterology 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology & General Medicine, 1997
Affiliations / memberships
- Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital, SO53 2DW
- 08:30 - 13:00
- 023 8076 4397
- Spire Southampton Hospital, SO16 6UY
- 15:30 - 19:00
- 023 8076 4397
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr. Praful Patel on 02380764397 during working hours and via Spire Southampton or Wessex Nuffield hospital switchboard out of hours