- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Brownson is recognised nationally and internationally for his expertise in arthroscopic shoulder surgery. He is regularly invited to lecture and carry out live surgical demonstrations at courses across Europe. He is the Upper Limb Surgeon to Liverpool Football Club and in addition treats players from 3 other Premiership Football Clubs. He is regularly asked to provide articles for the National Press.
He studied at Liverpool University and qualified in 1986 (MB ChB). He was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1991 (FRCS Ed), after which he undertook a period of orthopaedic research at Nottingham University. This research involved impact biomechanics as applied to aircraft passenger safety. It culminated in the submission of his doctoral thesis and the award of an DM
Mr Brownson continued his orthopaedic training in Nottingham, during which time he acquired extensive experience in trauma surgery working at the Queens Medical Centre.). He completed his training with his appointment as the Shoulder Fellow in the Nottingham Shoulder and Elbow Unit where he acquired sub specialist skills in all aspects of shoulder and elbow surgery.
Areas of interest
• Sports injuries • Shoulder • Elbow surgery • Shoulder stabilisation • Tendonitis • Tendonopathy • Tennis elbow • Elbow • Shoulder replacement • Arthritis • Degenerative elbow disorders • Shoulder pain • Elbow pain • Frozen shoulder • Shoulder surgery • Shoulder decompression
- Clare Vandewaal
- Spire Liverpool Hospital 57 Greenbank Road LIVERPOOL L18 1HQ
- 0151 522 1860
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen Hospitals University NHS Trust
Mr Brownson is married with two children. He enjoys sailing, cycling and skiing.
Doctor of Medicine DM Nottingham 1994
East Mid Orthopaedic Research Prize, 1992
Nottingham Medico-Chirurgical Society McCallum Prize, 1993
Syme Professorship (Honorarium Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1993
Gertrude Cropper Scholarship 1993 University of Nottingham, 1993
Malkin Memorial Prize, 1996
9. A Modified Crash Brace Position for Aircraft Passengers.
Aviation, Space & Environmental Medicine, vol 69 no 10 October 1998 975-978.
10. Fractures of the Distal Radius in Goalkeepers
The British Journal of Sports Medicine 2001:35; 409-411
11. Traumatic latissimus dorsi tendon rupture
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
November 2002 (Vol. 11, Issue 6, Pages 642-644)
12. A Comparison of the Long-Term Morbidity following Deep Circumflex Iliac and Fibular
Free Flaps for Reconstruction following Head and Neck Cancer
Plast Reconstr Surg 2003 Nov; 112 (6): 1517 – 25
13. Mid term results of Plant Tan plate in the treatment of proximal huemrus fractures
Injury 2005; 2783 1 – 8
14. Clavicular hook plate for lateral end fractures – A prospective study
Injury 2006 Mar;37(3):277-83
15. Mid term results of PlantTan plate in the treatment of proximal humerus fractures
Injury 2006 Mar;37(3):269-76
16. Arthroscopic stabilisation of the shoulder: a prospective randomised study of absorbable versus non-absorbable suture anchors.
Arthrsocopy 2006 Jul; 22 (7): 716-720.
17. Early versus late mobilisation following hemiarthroplasty for proximal humeral fractures
Journal of Shoulder Elbow Surgery 2007; 16 (3 suppl): S33038
18. Repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures using suture anchors through a single anterior incision
Arthroscopy. 2008; 24 (1): 39-45
19. Arthroscopic capsular release: a prospective double blinded randomized study comparing two types of rehabilitation regime. A pilot study
Shoulder and Elbow volume 1 Issue 2 119-122 Oct 2009
20. A kinematic assessment of normal elbow movement in activities of modern day living
Shoulder & Elbow April 2010, volume 2, Issue 2, pages 118-123
21. A radiological study to define safe zones for drilling in clavicle plate osteosynthesis.
JBJS British 2010.
22. Diagnostic value of MR Arthrogram in SLAP lesions of the shoulder
December 2010 (Vol. 8, Issue 6, Pages 303-309)
23. Transverse divergent dislocation of elbow in a child - A case report and review of current literature
Pediatric Emergency Care 2011 May;27(5):411-3
- MB ChB Liverpool University 1986
- Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 1991
- Doctor of Medicine DM Nottingham University 1994
- Intercollegiate Fellowship in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Edinburgh 1996
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellow Nottingham Shoulder and Elbow Unit 1998
Reference number 3170878
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Vice President British Elbow and Shoulder Society 2015
Affiliations / memberships
British Elbow and Shoulder Society
British Orthopaedic Association
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.