- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Shoulder & Elbow
Mr Brownson studied at Liverpool University and qualified in 1986 (MB ChB).
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1991 (FRCS Ed), after which he undertook a period of orthopaedic research at Nottingham University. This research involved impact biomechanics as applied to aircraft passenger safety. It culminated in the submission of his doctoral thesis and the award of a DM.
Mr Brownson continued his orthopaedic training in Nottingham, and completed his training as the Shoulder Fellow in the Nottingham Shoulder and Elbow Unit.
In 1998 Mr Brownson was appointed as a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon in Liverpool where he was instrumental in establishing the Liverpool Upper Limb Unit as a centre of excellence for shoulder and elbow surgery.
He is recognised for his expertise in arthroscopic shoulder surgery. He is regularly invited to lecture and carry out live surgical demonstrations at courses across Europe and the United States.
Mr Brownson treats a significant number of elite athletes. He is the Upper Limb Surgeon to Liverpool Football Club and in addition treats players from 7 other Premiership Football Clubs.
He is actively involved in research and has published over 20 papers as well as being a co-author for four sets of National (BOA/BESS) Care Pathways.
He was elected a member of Council for The British Elbow and Shoulder Society in 2012. He is the current President of the Society.
Mr Brownson is a member of the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) and The European Society for Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (SECEC).
Areas of interest
• Sports injuries • Shoulder • Elbow surgery • Shoulder stabilisation • Tendonitis • Tendonopathy • Tennis elbow • Elbow • Arthritis • Degenerative elbow disorders • Shoulder pain • Elbow pain • Frozen shoulder • Shoulder surgery • Shoulder decompression
- Clare Vandewaal
- The Bone and Joint Centre Spire Liverpool Hospital 57 Greenbank Road Liverpool L18 1HQ
- 0151 522 1812
- Vikki Lewis
- Nuffield Health Grosvenor Hospital Wrexham Road Chester CH4 7QP
- 07944 257468
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Tahir Sajjad Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
The Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen Hospitals University NHS Trust
Mr Brownson is married with two children. He enjoys sailing, cycling and skiing.
Doctor of Medicine DM Nottingham 1994
Syme Professorship (Honorarium) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1993
President British Elbow and Shoulder Society 2017-2019
Elected corresponding member to The American Shoulder and Elbow Society
Elected honorary life member Shoulder and Elbow Society India
1. BESS/BOA Patient Care Pathways Subacromnial shoulder pain
Shoulder and Elbow April 2015 135-143
2. BESS/BOA Patient Care Pathways
The Management of Traumatic Anterior Shoulder Instability.
Shoulder and Elbow July 2015 214 -226
3. BESS/BOA Patient Care Pathways
The Management of Frozen Shoulder
Shoulder and Elbow Oct 2015 299- 307
4. BESS/BOA Patient Care Pathways
Shoulder and Elbow July 2016 201-214
5. A Modified Crash Brace Position for Aircraft Passengers.
Aviation, Space & Environmental Medicine, vol 69 no 10 October 1998 975-978.
6. Fractures of the Distal Radius in Goalkeepers
The British Journal of Sports Medicine 2001:35; 409-411
7. Traumatic latissimus dorsi tendon rupture
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
November 2002 (Vol. 11, Issue 6, Pages 642-644)
9. Mid term results of Plant Tan plate in the treatment of proximal huemrus fractures
Injury 2005; 2783 1 – 8
10. Clavicular hook plate for lateral end fractures – A prospective study
Injury 2006 Mar;37(3):277-83
11. Mid term results of PlantTan plate in the treatment of proximal humerus fractures
Injury 2006 Mar;37(3):269-76
12. Arthroscopic stabilisation of the shoulder: a prospective randomised study of absorbable versus non-absorbable suture anchors.
Arthrsocopy 2006 Jul; 22 (7): 716-720.
13. Early versus late mobilisation following hemiarthroplasty for proximal humeral fractures
Journal of Shoulder Elbow Surgery 2007; 16 (3 suppl): S33038
14. Repair of distal biceps tendon ruptures using suture anchors through a single anterior incision
Arthroscopy. 2008; 24 (1): 39-45
15. Arthroscopic capsular release: a prospective double blinded randomized study comparing two types of rehabilitation regime. A pilot study
Shoulder and Elbow volume 1 Issue 2 119-122 Oct 2009
16. A kinematic assessment of normal elbow movement in activities of modern day living
Shoulder & Elbow April 2010, volume 2, Issue 2, pages 118-123
17. A radiological study to define safe zones for drilling in clavicle plate osteosynthesis.
JBJS British 2010.
18. Diagnostic value of MR Arthrogram in SLAP lesions of the shoulder
December 2010 (Vol. 8, Issue 6, Pages 303-309)
19. Transverse divergent dislocation of elbow in a child - A case report and review of current literature
Pediatric Emergency Care 2011 May;27(5):411-3
Details regarding patient outcome scores can be found on my website - liverpoolshoulderclinic.com
- MB ChB Liverpool University 1986
- Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 1991
- Doctor of Medicine DM Nottingham University 1994
- Intercollegiate Fellowship in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Edinburgh 1996
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellow Nottingham Shoulder and Elbow Unit 1998
Reference number 3170878
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President British Elbow and Shoulder Society 2017
Affiliations / memberships
President British Elbow and Shoulder Society BESS
British Orthopaedic Association BOA
Elected Corresponding Member American Shoulder and Elbow Society ASES
Member Arthroscopy Association of North America AANA
Member European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and Elbow SECEC
Elected Honorary Life membership Shoulder and Elbow Society India SESI
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.