- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
Professor Arden trained at St Thomas’s Hospital, London, where he also completed four years research into the genetics of osteoporosis and gained an MSc in Epidemiology and an MD. In 1998 he spent six months as visiting as an Assistant Professor in Epidemiology at the University of San Francisco.
In February 2000 he commenced his post as Consultant Rheumatologist at Southampton General Hospital and Professor in Rheumatic Diseases at the University of Southampton, leading a large research programme into osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis. In September 2008 he became a Professor of Rheumatic Diseases and Director of Musculoskeletal Epidemiology at the University of Oxford and an Honorary Consultant in Rheumatology at the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in Oxford.
Areas of interest
Inflammatory joint disorders; Osteoporosis; Osteoarthitis; gout; inflammatory arthritis (rheumatoid arthritis; psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondilitis) and soft tissue rheumatism (shoulder, elbow, wrist and hip pain).
- University of Oxford - The Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences
- NHS - Oxford University Hospital Trust
- University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust - Adult cystic fibrosis service
Current NHS consultant posts held
Professor in Rheumatic Diseases and Consultant Rheumatologist;
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
Professor in Rheumatic Diseases and Consultant Rheumatologist
Southampton University Hospitals NHS Trust
My research interests focus on the Epidemiology of Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis. I am based in the Botnar Research Centre, University of Oxford with additional sessions at the MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit at the University of Southampton.
07/04/2010 - Droitwich Lecture: The British Society of Rheumatology
12/09/1995 - American Society of Bone and Mineral Research. Young
- FRCP University of London 2008
- CSST Rheumatology University of London 2000
- MD University of London 1998
- MSc Epidemiology University of London 1995
- MRCP University of London 1989
- MB BS MB BS University of London 1986 1986
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Governing Body Lady Margaret Hall 2014
- Deputy Director Arthritis Research UK Centre for Sport, Exercise and Osteoarthritis 2014
- Scientific Advisory Board Arthritis Research UK Pain Centre 2014
Affiliations / memberships
I have been part of EULAR and OARSI working groups to produce new definitions and treatment guidelines for disease.
I am a scientific ambassador for the international Osteoporosis Foundation
I sit on the Arthritis Research UK RECAP committee
- Nuffield Health The Manor Hospital, OX3 7RP
- 15:30 - 19:30
- 01865 594294
- The Foscote Private Hospital, OX16 9XP
- 15:30 - 19:30
- 01865 594294
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details