- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE:
Born in Johannesburg, South Africa he has been practising orthopaedics for the past 31 years. His Orthopaedic training included 2 years experience in the South African Defence Force with industrial, motor vehicle, sport and war injuries, in addition to the usual academic training circuit. (University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg Orthopaedic circuit)
His experience as a consultant spans 23 years, working in both academic institutions and private practice in South- Africa, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. He has a broad experience in Orthopaedics. Over the last 15 years as a Substantive Consultant at Medway Maritime Hospital, he has established a shoulder and elbow service for arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery, together with GP colleagues and specialist practitioners for conservative care, and specialist registrars and junior surgeons.
In shoulder surgery itself, he has both national and international connections, and has hosted two live surgery congresses at Medway, with visiting surgeons of international standing, to demonstrate and discuss the more complex problems. Besides regular shoulder and orthopaedic meeting attendances, presentations and review of cases, he enjoys visiting international centres to both discuss directly with colleagues, as well as observe different treatment philosophies.
After serving as Lead Clinician and Head of Clinical Governance in Orthopaedics, he has taken Sabbatical leave from Medway Hospital to further private research, mainly into shoulder replacement for fracture. This is an area internationally recognised as an unsolved problem. It particularly affects those with osteoporotic weak bone, and so our elderly female population feature significantly here. This is both challenging and exciting. His work has been recognised nationally (best podium presentation at British Shoulder and Elbow Society), and internationally (published in Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.)
He holds an Honorary Senior Lectureship post at Brighton and Sussex Medical School where he has acted as an instructor for Orthopaedic registrars in courses on shoulder surgery.
He has also been involved in medico-legal reporting for the past 20 years.
Areas of interest
• Shoulder ultrasound guided injections • Frozen shoulder • Shoulder tendonitis and impingement • Rotator cuff tears • Shoulder biceps tears and tendonitis • Acromioclavicular arthritis • Shoulder dislocations • Shoulder replacement for arthritis • Shoulder fractures • Open and arthroscopic shoulder procedures • Tennis elbow • Golfer's elbow • Cubital tunnel syndrome • Biceps tendon rupture • Elbow ligament instability • Elbow fractures • Elbow replacement for arthritis • Open and arthroscopic elbow procedures • Carpal tunnel syndrome • Tenosynovitis of thumb and fingers • Trigger finger • Ganglions • Fusions for arthritis • Arthroscopic and open wrist procedures
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Medway Maritime Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
1 Hemi Arthroplasty Replacement for Complex Fractures of the Shoulder
2 Ultrasound Injections
3 Orthopaedic Joint Fusion
Classical music, Piano, Mathematics
Paul Calvert Prize for Best Podium Presentation at British Shoulder and Elbow Society
English, French, Afrikaans. Can get by in German and Hebrew.
1)IS FAILURE OF TUBEROSITY SUTURE REPAIR FOR HEMI- ARTHROPLASTY FOR FRACTURE MECHANICAL?
Journal of shoulder and elbow surgery / American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons ... [et al.] (Impact Factor: 1.93). 01/2013; DOI:10.1016/j.jse.2012.09.002
2)Two case reports of a technique of medial external fixation in calcaneal fractures: indirect control of the sustentacular fragment The Foot and Ankle Online Journal (Impact Factor: 1.22). 05/1996; 17(4):210-6.
3)Bone SPECT of the shoulders
P. J. Ryan, K. Borowsky Nuclear Medicine Communications - NUCL MED COMMUN 01/2003; 24(4). DOI:10.1097/00006231-200304000-00032
4) Paper on personal research accepted by JSES :A new concept for tuberosity repair in hemiarthroplasty for fracture- use of a clamp and underlying ledge to form a trapdoor.
Courses offered to GPs
Lectures to GPs on Upper Limb Assessments and Treatments. Seminars on Injection Techniques for the Upper Limb eg Sat 30.11.13 Spire Alexandra Hospital
Lectures to Physiotherapists and Chiropractors on Upper Limb Conditions
These are available from the Spire Alexandra. In my last audit of my patient pathways about 38/64 patients settled on conservative Rx with injections; 26 cases required surgery at some stage, which for the most part relieved pain and restored function within the expected period of time.
- MBBCH University of the Witwatersrand Johannesburg 1982
- FCS (Orth) College of Medicine South Africa 1991
- M.MED (Orth) University of Witwatersrand 1995
- ATLS Instructor Training Milpark Hospital Johannesburg Level 1 Trauma Centre 1995
Reference number 3158102
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Substantive Consultant Orthopaedics Medway Martime Hospital Medway Maritime Hospital 1999
- Lead Clinician Medway Maritime Hospital Medway Hospital 2011
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Brighton and Sussex Medical School BSMS 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Mr Keith Adrian Borowsky, 1999
Affiliations / memberships
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Shoulder and Elbow Society (BESS)
South East Shoulder and Elbow Group (SESEG)
- BMI The Somerfield Hospital
- 17:00 - 21:00
- 01634 662834
- Spire Alexandra Hospital
- 09:00 - 14:00
- 01634 662834
- Spire Alexandra Hospital
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 01634 662834
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Myself via the Spire Alexandra Hospital 01634 687166