- Fee assured
- Verified account
Dr Kandiah trained in the University of Manchester, qualifying in 2006. He undertook specialist training in gastroenterology in the North West London Deanery and completed an Advanced Endoscopy Research Fellowship in Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth in 2017. His research on advanced endoscopic detection and resection techniques has been presented in national and international conferences. His work on advanced resection of colonic polyps was awarded the Marsha Dreyer Award by the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy in 2016. He has widely published on advanced endoscopy and continues to participate in endoscopy research.
He is a Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist in St George’s University Hospital NHS Trust. His main interests are advanced therapeutic endoscopy (which include resection of large/complex colonic polyps) and endoscopy training. He leads the Complex Polyp Multi-Disciplinary Team and performs advanced endoscopic resections of complex colonic polyps in St George’s Hospital. He is the current Training Lead for Endoscopy in St George’s, which is recognised as a National Endoscopy Training Centre.
Areas of interest
Acid reflux; heartburn; difficulty in swallowing; Barrett’s oesophagus; coeliac disease; abdominal pain; altered bowel habit; diarrhoea; constipation; rectal bleeding; anaemia; endoscopy; gastroscopy; flexible sigmoidoscopy; colonoscopy. bowel cancer screening
Current NHS consultant posts held
St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
1. ASGE Cook Medical Marsha Dreyer Award 2016, Digestive Disease Week 2016, San Diego
2. United European Gastroenterology Week 2016 Travel Award
3. Avery Jones Post Graduate Medical Centre Trust Award 2012, Central Middlesex Hospital
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Tamil - Conversational
- Malay - Conversational
1. Kandiah K, Subramaniam S, Chedgy F et al. A multi-centre randomised controlled trial on virtual chromoendoscopy in the detection of neoplasia during colitis surveillance high definition colonoscopy (The VIRTUOSO Trial). Gut. 2020 Nov 19:gutjnl-2020-320980.
2. Alkandari A, Thayalasekaran S, Bhandari M, Przybysz A, Bugajski M, Bassett P, Kandiah K, et al. Endoscopic Resections in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Multicentre European Outcomes Study. J Crohns Colitis. 2019 Oct 28;13(11):1394-1400.
3. Kandiah K, Subramaniam S, Chedgy F, et al. A novel non-thermal resection tool in endoscopic management of scarred polyps. Endosc Int Open. 2019 Aug;7(8):E974-E978
4. Subramaniam S, Hayee B, Aepli P, Schoon E, Stefanovic M, Kandiah K, et al. Optical diagnosis of colorectal polyps with Blue Light Imaging using a new international classification. United European Gastroenterol J. 2019 Mar;7(2):316-325.
5. Segal JP, Penez L, Mohsen Elkady S, Worley GHT, McLaughlin SD, Mullish BH, Quraishi MN, Ding NS, Glyn T, Kandiah K, Samaan MA, Irving PM, Faiz OD, Clark SK, Hart AL. Long term outcomes of initial infliximab therapy for inflammatory pouch pathology: a multi-Centre retrospective study. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2018 Sep;53(9):1051-1058.
6. Kandiah K, Chedgy FJQ, Subramaniam S, et al. International development and validation of a classification system for the identification of Barrett's neoplasia using acetic acid chromoendoscopy: the Portsmouth acetic acid classification (PREDICT). Gut. 2018 Dec; 67 (12): 2085-2091
7. Bhattacharyya R, Chedgy F, Kandiah K, et al. Endocuff-assisted vs. standard colonoscopy in the fecal occult blood test-based UK Bowel Cancer Screening Programme (E-cap study): a randomized trial. Endoscopy. 2017 Jun 14.
8. Kandiah K, Chedgy FJ, Subramaniam S, et al. Early squamous neoplasia of the esophagus: The endoscopic approach to diagnosis and management. Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2017 Mar-Apr;23(2):75-81.
9. Kandiah K, Subramaniam S, Bhandari P. Polypectomy and advanced endoscopic resection Frontline Gastroenterology 2017;8:110-114.
10. Subramaniam S, Chedgy F, Longcroft Wheaton G, Kandiah K, Maselli R, Seewald S, Repici A, Bhandari P. Complex early Barrett's neoplasia at 3 Western centers: European Barrett's Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection Trial (E-BEST). Gastrointest Endosc. 2017 Jan 31.
- MBChB University of Manchester 2006
Reference number 6145425
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.