- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Behavioural Activation (BA)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Trauma focused CBT
- Video and telephone consultations
I approach each client with a sense of vibrancy and enthusiasm and use what is called an integrative framework to understand client needs. This means I am trained in different therapeutic approaches. I use psychodynamic understanding to understand lifelong development and the influence of relationships in our lives. I use humanistic philosophy as my values map. I offer pragmatic and clear psychological understanding through CBT, which is goal orientated and focussed. I am also influenced by the psychology underlying third wave approaches which are centred in mindfulness and presence and cognitive de-fusion.
I work on the basic understanding that our early life, and relationships especially, influence and shape our outlook, expectations and attitudes. My aim as a therapist is to help you develop understanding about simply ‘what is going on’ and decide what is in fact the best method or process to resolve difficulties. Therapy is much to do with orientation, purpose and movement towards that which will nourish the self. We cannot bypass human distress; we grow through it. Change is hard to do. Often we first find out what not to do! The process of talking to someone and exploring and supporting ourselves can bring immense value to all of us. Cherishing our life and awareness with energy and compassion is completely fundamental.
I have always had a fascination for understanding difficulties and working through problems with other people. I bring many years of training (seven as a psychologist and 1 intensive year as a CBT therapist). I have over twelve years therapeutic experience, including: 3 years experience in the NHS in Somerset as a psychological therapist and CBT therapist; 3 years at King’s College London with students from all over the globe; one year supporting students in an international school in Malaysia; four years in independent practice for insurance companies, national health related companies and agencies.
I specialise in working with long-term conditions and trauma and abuse. I am extremely experienced at working with anxiety and depression in all forms. I can offer specialist help with OCD, general anxiety, PTSD, social anxiety and panic disorder. I also work with depression and low mood problems in their interaction (co-morbidity) with a range of other difficulties. I have experience with bi-polar disorder and I work extensively with addressing all types of relationship problems. I work with transitional issues such as leaving home, changing jobs, mid-life problems and ending relationships. I also have extensive experience working in specific ways for dealing with stress, work-related issues and interpersonal conflict. I am able to incorporate Buddhist psychology and what are known as mindfulness-orientated approaches. I aim to successfully incorporate these into Western approaches to psychological thinking.
Areas of interest
Work place problems
Trauma focussed CBT and counselling
Anxiety disorder GAD
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology University of Roehampton 2008
- BSc Honours Psychology University of Leeds 1985
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), primary/middle (Music) University of Leeds, Bretton Hall College 1993
- MSc in Counselling Psychology (first class) 2009 University of Roehampton 2009
- Post Graduate Diploma in the Practice of Counselling Psychology University of Roehampton 2010
- Post Graduate Diploma IAPT Hi Intensity CBT University of Exeter 2012
- Awareness in Bereavement Care (1 day) CRUSE (Somerset) 2011
- CBT for PTSD - (Dr Deborah Lee, 4 day) NHS Berkshire 2011
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (2 day) ASIST 2011
- Mindfulness Conference, King’s College London BABCP 2014
- CBT for Body Dysmorphic Disorder (1 day) NHS Somerset 2013
- Introduction to using DBT skills in practice, Dr. Fiona Kennedy (2-day) Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2014
- Understanding development: Adolescence. Tavistock and Portman, London 2018
- Mentalisation and Compassion-Focussed Therapy Conference PALS, University College London 2021
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chartered Counselling Psychologist British Psychological Society (BPS) 2010
- Fully Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapyvioural 2013
- Registered (Practitioner Psychologist) Health and Care Professions Council 2012
Affiliations / memberships