- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Hand & Wrist
- Shoulder & Elbow
Mr John Edwin is a Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon at Nuffield Health Brentwood and Spire Hospital, Hartswood specializing in orthopedic surgery for the Shoulder, Elbow, Wrist & Hand, and general orthopedic surgery.
After his medical school and postgraduate training in orthopedics in India, Mr. Edwin proceeded to gain further orthopedic training at centers of excellence at Liverpool, Exeter and London. Following his FRCS qualification, he completed complex trauma, Shoulder & Elbow and Wrist & Hand Fellowships at King’s College Hospital, London. He gained additional experience at the Shoulder fellowship in Nottingham.
Mr. Edwin is a Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon at Basildon University Hospital and also the Lead for Neck of Femur fractures for the hospital. He is a keen educator and has been appointed as Clinical/ Educational Supervisor for junior orthopedic trainees. He is also an appointed Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at New Vision University, Georgia. Additionally, he is also a key faculty member in FRCS (Trauma and Orthopedic) courses at Kings College Hospital, Medway Hospital, Luton Hospital, ORUK and the Muller FRCS Course in Chennai, India.
He has strong research credentials and has published numerous scientific papers in international journals. This has led to national and international presentations of his research work and has been well received worldwide. He has also lectured internationally in the United Kingdom, Oman, U.A.E and India.
With the objective to offer his patients the best and latest care in his subspecialties, Mr Edwin has kept himself abreast with the latest arthroscopic techniques, shoulder replacements and other advances in Upper Limb surgery. He has attended multiple workshops at Munich, Paris, Amsterdam, York, Berlin, London and Davos. He also offers his patients ‘awake shoulder surgery technique’, thus minimizing the risks of general anesthesia in patients with complex health issues. With his vast experience, he has developed a well-rounded and holistic approach towards his patients’ health and care keeping in line with the GMC Good Medical Practice.
Areas of interest
Shoulder Decompression- Keyhole technique;
Shoulder Replacement for shoulder arthritis- Anatomic and Reverse;
Shoulder Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair; Local Steroid Injection for Shoulder Impingement; Local Steroid Injection for Tennis/ Golfers Elbow; Shoulder Instability (Dislocation) Arthroscopic and Latarjet Procedure; Biceps Tendon Repair;
Shoulder Arthroscopic Acromioclavicular Joint (collarbone) excision;
Frozen Shoulder Keyhole Surgery;
Tennis Elbow/ Golfer’s Elbow release;
Ulnar Nerve Decompression at Elbow and Wrist;
Elbow Procedure for stiff/arthritis of elbow;
Carpal Tunnel release;
Trigger Finger release;
Trapeziectomy (Thumb Arthritis);
Wrist Arthroscopy; Degenerative Hand Surgery; Clavicle/Humerus/Ulna/Radius/Hand Fractures
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopedic Surgeon,
Shoulder soft tissue healing; biomaterials in shoulder pathology, awake shoulder surgery
Mr. Edwin enjoys exploring places and has travelled widely. He is a keen debater and philatelist. He is also keenly involved in amateur boxing and is registered as a doctor with England Boxing.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Tamil - Native or bilingual
- Kannada - Native or bilingual
- Urdu - Fluent
- Telugu - Fluent
- Marathi (Marāṭhī) - Conversational
1. Hello, can you hear me? Orthopaedic clinic telephone consultations in the COVID-19 era- a patient and clinician perspective
Anuhya Vusirikala , David Ensor, Ajay K Asokan , Alvin Jx Lee , Ravi Ray , Dimitrios Tsekes , John Edwin
World J Orthop. 2021 Jan 18;12(1):24-34. doi: 10.5312/wjo.v12.i1.24.
2. Fractured Neck of Femur Management at a District General Hospital: Adherence to NICE guidelines CG124 for total hip replacement
Srikanth Mudiganty, Ilias Kosmidis and John Edwin. SICOT-J 2020, 6, 46
3. Infection in neuromuscular scoliosis deformity correction (accepted for publication)
Edwin J, Haleem S, Kieser D, Nadarajah R
International Wound Journal DOI: 10.1111/iwj.13332
4. Arthroscopic knotless anterior labral stabilization using labral tape and wide awake anaesthesia-short term result.
Edwin J, Morris D, Ahmed S, Townsley P, Manning P, Gooding B
BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018 Jul 18;19(1):226.
5. Swellings of the Sternoclavicular joint- Review of Traumatic and Nontraumatic Pathologies
Edwin J, Ahmed S, Verma S, Tytherleigh-Strong G, Karuppaiah K
EFORT Open Reviews. DOI: 10.1302/2058-5241.3.170078
6. Barriers to staff reporting adverse incidents in NHS hospitals
Joanna Lucy Bovis, John Pradeep Edwin, Chris Patrick Bano, Athanasios Tyraskis, Dinnish Baskaran, and Karthik Karuppaiah
Future Hosp J June 2018 5:117-120; doi:10.7861/futurehosp.5-2-117
7. A radiological study to define safe zones for drilling during plating clavicle fractures A. Sinha, J. Edwin, B. Sreeharsha, V. Bhalaik, P. Brownson. J Bone Joint Surg Br September 2011 93-B:1247-1252
8. Metacarpal fragility fractures: Cross-sectional study on epidemiology and predictive
value of further fragility fractures.
J. Edwin, A. Sinha, S. Sait, D. Baskaran, K. Karuppaiah. Journal of Hand Surgery European Volume June 2016
9. Occult die-punch injuries of the distal radius causing ulnar abutment syndrome: Our
experience. John Edwin, Henrietta Creasy, Debajeet Chaudhuri, Jonathan Compson. Journal of Hand Surgery European Volume, June 2016
10. Scaphotrapezio-trapezoid Joint: A CT based anatomic study of 113 cases. J. Edwin, D. Baskaran, F. Raja, B. Ahmed, S. Verma, J. Compson. Bone Joint Journal July 2016
11. Results of mechanical axis correction achieved by computer navigation in primary total knee replacements. J. Edwin, A. Dutta. Bone Joint Journal December 2014
- FRCS Trauma and Orthopaedics Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2014
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2007
- Diplomate of National Board National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India 2002
- Diploma in Trauma and Orthopedics Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences 2000
- MBBS University of Mysore 1997
Reference number 6094384
Details of entry to specialist register
- John Pradeep Vedraj Edwin, 2018
Affiliations / memberships
British Indian Orthopedic Society
- Shenfield RoadShenfieldBRENTWOODCM15 8EH
- 08:00 - 13:00
- 01277 886517
Post treatment communication
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr. Edwin: 07871329210