- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Video consultations
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I am a Consultant Orthopaedic Spinal Surgeon and my goal is to improve every patient’s quality of life. I am able to see and help patients with all types of spinal symptoms and conditions. I am skilled in the diagnosis, management and treatment of spinal disorders from the neck to the coccyx. I have expertise in all aspects of spinal pathology with specialist interests in adult degenerative and deformity-related conditions, which I am adept at treating surgically and non-operatively.
My patients are my priority and I always put them first. I listen to all of my patients’ concerns to understand them and their problem better to then treat them successfully. I guide my patients to help them make appropriate decisions and I support them throughout their care to ensure they have the best possible outcome.
My current NHS consultant post is at the prestigious Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital in Oswestry. I completed my Higher Surgical and Specialist Training in spinal surgery and trauma & orthopaedics in Oswestry and the University Hospital of North Midlands. It was through this training rotation that I gained my Certificate of Completion of Training and my Specialist Registration with the General Medical Council. After obtaining my Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh all of my training was within the discipline of spinal disorders and surgery.
I was born in Scotland and grew up in beautiful Edinburgh before I went onto study Medicine at the University of Aberdeen where I was awarded a Phase 1 Distinction and Russell Medal in Pathology along with my medical and surgical degree. I am married to Zeba who is a GP and we have two amazing sons, Ismaeel and Yunus, who are the best thing to have ever happened to us.
Areas of interest
Degenerative Conditions of the Lumbar and Cervical spine;
Lumbar Disc Herniation and Sciatica (Leg Pain);
Cervical Disc Herniation and Brachialgia (Arm Pain);
Spinal Stenosis (Neurogenic Claudication);
Cauda Equina Syndrome;
Adult Spinal Deformity and Degenerative Scoliosis (Curved Spine);
Back and Neck Pain;
Osteoporotic Spinal Fractures;
Sacro-Iliac Joint Dysfunction;
Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion (TLIF);
Extreme Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (XLIF);
Anterior Cervical Discectomy & Fusion (ACDF);
Posterior Cervical Decompression & Fusion;
Posterior Cervical Laminectomy;
Posterior Cervical Foraminotomy;
Spinal Deformity Surgery (Scoliosis, Kyphosis and Spondylolisthesis Correction);
Minimal Invasive Surgery (MIS);
Spinal Fractures (Vertebroplasty)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Spinal Surgeon.
Centre for Spinal Studies,
The Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital,
1. Spinal disorders and treatments.
2. Perioperative Quality Improvement Programme (PQIP). PQIP will measure complications and outcome from the patient perspective after major surgery. I am the surgical lead for the study in the hospital trust.
Most of my spare time is spent with my lovely family as well as playing sport, doing exercise and travelling in the UK and abroad.
1. Alan Darby Prize in Musculoskeletal Tumours.
For paper entitled “Accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging in planning the osseous resection margins of bony tumours in the proximal femur: based on coronal T1-weighted versus STIR images.”
2. Russell Medal in Pathology.
Undergraduate award – for the best student in 2nd year examinations.
3. Phase 1 Distinction.
Undergraduate award – given to the top performing students in 1st year examinations.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Native or bilingual
- Urdu - Conversational
1. The outcome of decompression alone for lumbar spinal stenosis with degenerative spondylolisthesis. S Ahmad, A Hamad, A Bhalla, S Turner, B Balain, D Jaffray. European Spine Journal. 2016 Jun 7. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1007/s00586-016-4637-7.
2. Cause of death and factors associated with early in-hospital mortality after hip fracture. BD Chatterton, TS Moores, S Ahmad, A Cattell, PJ Roberts. Bone Joint J 2015;97-B(2):246-251. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.97B2.35248.
3. Fibula nonunion following Maisonneuve fracture with suture button syndesmosis stabilisation. (Case Report). S Ahmad, O Mei-Dan, J Calder, MR Carmont. Amsterdam Foot & Ankle Platform (http://www.ankleplatform.com), January 2015.
4. Strength versus endurance training. S Ahmad, R Roach. Austin J Orthopade & Rheumatol. 2014;1(2): 5.
5. Accuracy of magnetic resonance imaging in planning the osseous resection margins of bony tumours in the proximal femur: based on coronal T1-weighted versus STIR images. S Ahmad, J Stevenson, C Mangham, G Cribb, P Cool. Skeletal Radiol 2014;43:1679–1686. doi: 10.1007/s00256-014-1979-2.
6. Intervertebral Disc Structure and Biomechanics. (Book Chapter). S Ahmad, B Balain. Orthopaedic Basic Science, 4th Edition 2014; Orthopaedic Institute Ltd.
7. Medial subtalar dislocation with navicular and posterior talar process fracture: the first report in the literature. (Case Report). N Eisenstein, D Hillier, S Ahmad. BMJ Case Rep 2013 (Apr 16;2013). doi: 10.1136/bcr-2012-007763.
8. Total shoulder arthroplasty or hemiarthroplasty: a comparison of complication rates in the English National Health Service. SS Jameson, S Ahmad, P James, MR Reed, JL McVie, A Rangan. Shoulder and Elbow 2013;5:56–59. doi: 10.1111/j.1758-5740.2012.00217.x.
Courses offered to GPs
Please contact Nuffield Hospital Chester and RJAH Hospital Oswestry.
- Member Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS) The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2008
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) - Tr & Orth Intercollegiate Specialty Board in T&O Surgery 2015
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) University of Aberdeen 2006
- Higher Surgical Training Specialist Registrar on the Oswestry/Stoke-on-Trent rotation in West Midlands 2017
Reference number 6143417
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- RCSEd Educational Tutor The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2020
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC Specialist Register / Licence to Practice / CCT, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
British Association of Spinal Surgeons
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details