- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 9 Jan 2021
- Oculoplastic surgery
I am a Consultant Ophthalmic and Oculoplastic Surgeon and carry out my NHS work at Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust. I have extensive training from national centres of excellence in the assessment and management of the full range of oculoplastic (eyelid), lacrimal (tear system) and orbit (eye socket) conditions.
I graduated from the University of Birmingham with Honours in 2002, gaining the 'Queen's Scholarship' for overall joint first place in my medical school graduation year. I also gained an intercalated First Class Honours medical science degree in Pharmacology.
I trained in general and emergency medicine in Auckland, New Zealand and at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust (2003 - 2006). I trained in Ophthalmology on the West Midlands Deanery Ophthalmic Specialist Training Programme (2007 - 2017).
During this time I published numerous research abstracts and articles in peer-reviewed journals. I regularly present my work at national and international academic meetings.
I gained a prestigious Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Fellowship and undertook cutting-edge laboratory-based research (2010 - 2013) into Thyroid Eye Disease (also known as Graves' Orbitopathy) at the University of Birmingham, gaining my doctorate (PhD) in 2015.
I undertook advanced sub-specialty training in Oculoplastics at the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre, followed by Oculoplastic surgery fellowships at University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff and at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London.
I attained a range of prestigious regional, national and international awards during my training, including the Richard Collin European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Junior Award (2013), the Midland Ophthalmological Society Junior Award (2013 & 2014), the Royal College of Ophthalmologists John Lee Award (2014), the Roper-Hall Prize Medal (2014) and the Ian Fraser Cup of the Oxford Ophthalmological Congress (2016).
My aim is to use my training and expertise to provide a high-quality service for my patients. I pride myself in offering the highest standards of care, equivalent to that I would expect for one of my own family.
Areas of interest
All eyelid disease including:
- Benign eyelid cysts, lumps, papillomas, chalazion/chalazia, xanthelasma, skin tags;
- Eyelid tumours, including cancers requiring excision and eyelid reconstruction;
- Ingrowing eyelashes (trichiasis);
- In-turned (entropion) and out-turned (ectropion) eyelids;
- Droopy eyebrows (brow ptosis) and droopy eyelids (upper lid ptosis);
- Upper lid eyebags and skin 'hooding' (dermatochalasis) requiring upper lid blepharoplasty;
- Thyroid Eye Disease (and other forms of orbital/eye socket inflammation);
- Eye problems related to facial palsy (including ‘Bell’s palsy’);
- Facial 'twitching' such as blepharospasm or hemifacial spasm, requiring Botulinum toxin treatment;
- Watery eyes;
- Dry Eyes;
- Artificial eyes, painful, blind eyes and socket issues in those who have previously had eye removal.
- Cataract surgery;
- YAG laser for capsular opacification;
- General ophthalmic problems, e.g. sore, gritty, itchy, painful eyes, visual loss, double vision.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic & Oculoplastic Surgeon
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
I have a particular interest in Thyroid Eye Disease (also known as Graves' Orbitopathy or Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy) and undertook laboratory-based research focussing on this condition at the University of Birmingham, funded by the Wellcome Trust (2010 - 2013). This resulted in a PhD based on a doctoral thesis entitled: 'Investigation of Candidate Biomarkers in Graves' Disease and Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy'. The majority of my recent publications have also been related to Thyroid Eye Disease.
More recently I have been a collaborator and operating surgeon on the prestigious FACT trial of femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery versus conventional phacoemulsification cataract surgery.
2016: The Ian Fraser Cup of the Oxford Ophthalmological Congress
2014: Birmingham Eye Foundation Roper-Hall Prize Medal
2014: Royal College of Ophthalmologists Annual Congress John Lee Award
2013 + 2014: Midland Ophthalmological Society Junior Ophthalmologist Prize
2013: Royal College of Ophthalmologists Sir William Lister Award
2013: The Richard Collin European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Junior Award
2002: Queen's Scholarship Prize
1. Oliphant H, Laybourne J, Chan K, Haridas A, Edmunds MR, Morris D, Clarke L, Althaus M, Norris P, Cranstoun M, Sullivan TJ, Rajak SN. Vismodegib for periocular basal cell carcinoma: an international multicentre case series. Eye 2020 Online ahead of print.
2. Edmunds MR, Boelaert K. Knowledge of Thyroid Eye Disease in Graves' Disease Patients With and Without Orbitopathy. Thyroid 2019;29:557-562.
3. Edmunds MR, Haridas AS, Morris DS, Jamalapuram K. Management of acute retrobulbar haemorrhage: a survey of non-ophthalmic emergency department physicians. Emerg Med J 2019 36:245-247.
4. Wickwar S, McBain H, Edmunds MR, Ezra DG, Rose GE, Newman SP. Patients' expectations for the functional and psychosocial outcomes of orbital decompression surgery for thyroid eye disease: a qualitative study. Psychol Health Med 2018;23:475-484.
5. Edmunds MR, Mellington F, Ford RL, Torlinska B, Manavi K, Boelaert K. Clinical Challenges of Thyroid Eye Disease in HIV Positive Patients on Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015;100:779-87.
6. Chortis V, Edmunds MR, Littleton E, Boelaert K. Autoimmune Encephalopathy in the Context of Graves’ Disease with Ophthalmopathy. Clin Endocrinol 2014;81:936-7.
7. Edmunds MR, Huntbach JA, Durrani OM. Are Ethnicity and Socioeconomic Position Determinants of Disease Severity in Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy? Ophth Plast Reconstr Surg 2014;30:241-5.
8. Khan IJ, Ghauri AJ, Hodson J, Edmunds MR, Cottrell P, Evans S, Williams GP, Rauz S. Defining the Limits of Normal Conjunctival Fornix Anatomy in a Healthy South Asian Population. Ophthalmology 2014;121:492-7.
9. Edmunds MR, Boelaert K, Franklyn JA, Denniston AK, Durrani OM. Patient Information in Graves’ Disease and Thyroid-Associated Ophthalmopathy: Readability Assessment of Online Resources. Thyroid 2014;24:67-72.
10. Edmunds MR, Barry RJ, Denniston AK. Readability Assessment of Online Ophthalmic Patient Information. JAMA Ophthalmology 2013;131:1610-6.
Courses offered to GPs
I have taught at multiple local and national meetings and would be delighted to participate in relevant seminars and talks if requested.
- PhD University of Birmingham 2015
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2015
- MRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2008
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 2006
- FEBO European Board of Ophthalmology 2015
- BMedSci (1st Class Honours) University of Birmingham 1999
- MBChB (with Honours) University of Birmingham 2002
- Advanced Sub-Specialty Oculoplastics Fellowship Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre 2016
- Academic Clinical Lecturer in Ophthalmology University of Birmingham 2014
- Oculoplastics Fellowship University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff 2017
- Adnexal Fellowship Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2018
- Wellcome Trust Clinical Research Fellow University of Birmingham 2010
Reference number 6048867
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT - Ophthalmology, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Royal College of Physicians
British Oculoplastic Surgical Society
European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
European Board of Ophthalmology
Midland Ophthalmological Society
Medical Defence Union
British Medical Association
General Medical Council
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.