- Fee assured
- Verified account
Mr Deepak Hariharan is a Consultant General and Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) Surgeon at The Royal London Hospital, part of Barts Health NHS Trust, which is one of the largest NHS health care trusts in the country.
His specialist interest includes treating all benign and malignant conditions affecting the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts and pancreas along with common general surgical conditions presenting electively or as an emergency.
His clinical research interest has been to facilitate early diagnosis and treatment in HPB cancers. He investigated potential diagnostic biomarkers in urine for pancreatic cancer. His seminal paper established urinary proteomics as a strategy for investigation of biomarkers for pancreas cancer. In September 2019, Pancreas Cancer Research Fund, funded a £1.6M clinical study that would validate the accuracy and reliability of a urine test in detecting pancreatic cancer at an early stage.
He has multiple peer-reviewed publications in HPB and General Surgery and is a tutor and mentor to undergraduate, post-graduate trainees and nurses.
He is driven by quality improvement in surgery and is instrumental in setting up the Hot Cholecystectomy Pathway. This facilitates immediate/early gallbladder surgery for suitable cases presenting as an emergency with symptomatic gallstones. He helped establish enhanced recovery programme after HPB cancer surgery to advance postoperative care.
He is motivated and focused on developing high performing surgical teams to improve quality of surgical care and enhance patient experience
Areas of interest
• Gallstone disease;
• Primary Cancers of the Liver;
• Colorectal Liver Metastases and other Secondaries to Liver;
• Gallbladder and Bile duct cancer;
• Pancreatic cancer;
• Solid and cystic tumours of Pancreas;
• Laparoscopic Surgery;
• Abdominal wall Hernias / Groin hernias;
- Ms Mai El-Hamalawy
- The London Clinic 5 Devonshire Place London W1G 6HL
- 020 8194 8566
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Ah-Fee Chan Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General and Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgeon
The Royal London Hospital
Barts Health NHS Trust
clinical research interest has been to facilitate early diagnosis and treatment in HPB cancers. He investigated potential diagnostic biomarkers in urine for pancreatic cancer. His seminal paper established urinary proteomics as a strategy for investigation of biomarkers for pancreas cancer. In September 2019, Pancreas Cancer Research Fund, funded a £1.6M clinical study that would validate the accuracy and reliability of a urine test in detecting pancreatic cancer at an early stage.
CRUK Clincal Research Fellow Award 2008
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Tamil - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Conversational
- Malayalam - Conversational
- Telugu - Conversational
1) Effectiveness of a quality improvement collaborative in reducing time to surgery for patients requiring emergency cholecystectomy.BJS Open. 2019 Oct 8;3(6):802-811
2) Understanding the influences on successful quality improvement in emergency general surgery: learning from the RCS Chole-QuIC project. Implement Sci. 2019 Aug 23;14(1):84.
3) Enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) reduces hospital costs and improve clinical outcomes in liver surgery: A Systematic review and meta-analysis. J Gastrointest Surg. 2020 Apr; 24(4):918-932.
4) The role of surgery in chronic pancreatitis. European Surgery June 2019, Volume 51 (3), pp 114–120
5) Spontaneous central venous thrombosis and shunt occlusion following peritoneovenous shunt placement for intractable ascites. Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2017; 99 (5).
6) Spontaneous extrusion of gallstones after percutaneous drainage. Ann R Coll Surg Eng, 2017; 99 (3):
7) Quality of life and medico-legal implications following iatrogenic bile duct injuries. World Journal of Surgery 2017, 41 (1): 90-99.
8) Retained surgical sponges and instruments. Ann R Coll Surg Eng 2013; 95: 87-92.
9)The role of laparoscopy and laparoscopic ultrasound in the preoperative staging of colorectal liver metastases – a meta-analysis Am J Surg. 2012 July; 204 (1): 84-92.
10) AGR2 is a Novel Surface Antigen that Promotes the Dissemination of Pancreatic Cancer Cells through Regulation of Cathepsins B and D Cancer Research. Nov 2011, 15; 71 (22): 7091-102.
11) The role of laparoscopy and laparoscopic ultrasound in the preoperative staging of pancreatico-biliary cancers – a meta-analysis
Eur J Surg Oncol. 2010 Oct; 36(10):941-8.
12) Application of proteomics in cancer gene profiling: 2D-DIGE Methods Mol Biol. 2010; 576: 197-211,
13) Analysis of mortality rates for gall bladder cancer across the world
HPB 2008, 10: 327-331,
14) Analysis of the urine proteome in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma, 15) Analysis of mortality rates for pancreatic cancer across the world, 16) Pancreatic expression database: a generic model for the organization, integration and mining of complex cancer datasets, 17) Managing osteoporosis in patients with fragility fractures: did the British Orthopaedic Association guidelines have any impact? 18) Posttraumatic intra thoracic spleen presenting with upper GI bleed! A case report, 19) Deep femoral artery aneurysm: Report of a case Surgery Today, 2006; 36(11): 975-7
Courses offered to GPs
Diagnosis of HPB cancers
Management of HPB cases benign and malignant
- MBBS Govt. Stanley Medical College & Hospital, The TN Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai, India 2000
- FRCS The Royal College of Surgeons of England 2014
- MD (Research) Queen Mary University of London 2008
- Certificate of completion of Training - CCT Joint Committee of Surgical Training 2016
Reference number 6034776
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Post treatment communication
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details