- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Oculoplastic surgery
Mr Rene qualified from Middlesex Hospital Medical School in 1985 and embarked on a career in ophthalmology 2 years later. After completing junior ophthalmology posts in London and the South-East he moved to Birmingham and the West Midlands for Higher Surgical training. He completed 2 fellowships in Oculoplastic, Lacrimal and Orbital surgery at Queen's Medical Centre (Nottingham) and Moorfields Eye Hospital (London). In April 1998 Mr Rene was appointed as a Consultant Oculoplastic Surgeon at Addenbrooke's Hospital (Cambridge) and Hinchingbrooke Hospital (Huntingdon) and he leads the Oculoplastic Service at both sites. Mr Rene is a founder member of the British Oculoplastic Surgery Society (BOPSS) and is the current President of BOPSS, having served 2 previous terms as Treasurer.
Areas of interest
Cosmetic surgery; Reconstructive surgery; Orbital surgery / disorders; Lacrimal disorders; Oculoplastics; Botulinum therapy; Skin tumours / cancer/ oncology; thyroid eye disease
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Mohamad Yaqoob Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cambridge
Hinchingbrooke Hospital, Huntingdon
Cooking and photography
(Additional) Languages spoken
1) Periocular necrotising fasciitis: a multicentre case series. Rajak SN et al. Br J Ophthalmol. 2016 Feb 2.
2) Secondary Resistance to Vismodegib After Initial Successful Treatment of Extensive Recurrent Periocular Basal Cell Carcinoma with Orbital Invasion. Papastefanou VP, René C. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Sep 21
3) Radiological Comparison of the Lacrimal Sac Fossa Anatomy Between Black Africans and Caucasians. Gore SK et al. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jul-Aug;31(4):328-31
4) Atypical Presentation of Low-Grade Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma of the Lacrimal Sac. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Jun 2.
5) Infraorbital nerve enlargement due to IgG4-related disease. Eye (Lond). 2014 May;28(5):628-9.
6) Reconstruction of Complex Orbital Exenteration Defects. A Single Center’s Experience With a 5-Year Follow-Up. Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Aug;73(2):158-63
7) Spontaneous haemorrhage in an eyelid hidrocystoma in a patient treated with clopidogrel. Eye (Lond). 2013 Apr 12
8) Enophthalmos as a sign of metastatic breast carcinoma. CMAJ. 2013 Mar 4
9) Oculoplastic aspects of ocular oncology. Eye (Lond). 2013 Feb;27(2):199-207.
10) A benign or malignant eyelid lump - can you tell? An unusual collision tumour highlighting the difficulty differentiating a hidrocystoma from a basal cell carcinoma. BMJ Case Rep. 2012 Jun 28;2012
11) Management of periocular basal cell carcinoma by Mohs micrographic surgery. J Dermatolog Treat. 2013 Jun;24(3):232-4
12) Discrepancy between fluorescence in situ hybridization and multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification in orbital recurrence of uveal melanoma 26 years after enucleation. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Nov;28(6):e140-2
13) Dacryocystorhinostomy precipitating keratoconjunctivitis sicca in aplasia of lacrimal and major salivary glands (ALSG). Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012 Mar;28(2):e50-1
14) Necrotizing group A streptococcal periorbital infection following adalimumab therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2011 Jun;30(2):160-2
15) Update on orbital anatomy. Eye (Lond). 2006 Oct;20(10):1119-29
16) A unique case of mistaken identity. Eye (Lond). 2005 Jan;19(1):108-10
17) Massive spontaneous expulsive suprachoroidal haemorrhage in a blind glaucomatous eye treated with chronic topical steroid. Eye (Lond). 2003,Apr;17(3):439-40
18) Major orbital complications of endoscopic sinus surgery. Br J Ophthalmol. 2001 May;85(5):598-603
- MBBS Middlesex Hospital, University of London 1985
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 1992
- Fellowship in Oculopastic, Lacrimal and Orbital Surgery Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham 1996
- Fellowship in Oculopastic, Lacrimal and Orbital Surgery Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 1997
Reference number 3080243
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President British Oculoplastyic Surgery Society 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 1997
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
British Oculoplastic Surgery Association
Royal Society of Medicine
- Spire Cambridge Lea Hospital, 30 New Road,...
- 14:30 - 18:30
- 01223 266900
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details