- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Hand & Wrist
Mr Harry Lyall MA FRCS FRCS(Orth)
Harry Lyall is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with special interests in hand and wrist surgery and in skeletal trauma surgery. He treats the whole range of hand and wrist disorders, working with skilled physiotherapists and specialist hand therapists to obtain the best possible clinical results.
He trained at Cambridge University and St Thomas's Hospital Medical School, qualifying as a doctor in 1985, and then in orthopaedic surgery in Cambridge and East Anglia. He undertook a UK National Fellowship in Hand and Wrist Surgery at the renowned St Andrew's Unit and an international Wrist Surgery Fellowship at the Universitätsklinik in Innsbruck, Austria. Since his consultant appointment in 1996 he has been Clinical Director of his NHS Department, Director of numerous ATLS® Trauma Management Courses, and Lecturer and Faculty Member of many AO National and International Fracture Management Courses. He is an orthopaedic surgical trainer, a published author in the hand surgery literature, a former Member of the Court of Examiners of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, a current Intercollegiate Surgical Examinations Assessor, a current examiner for the intercollegiate FRCS(Trauma and Orthopaedics) examination, and an Honorary Senior Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London.
Areas of interest
Disorders of the hand and wrist including
• carpal tunnel syndrome and nerve decompression
• trigger finger and tendon decompression
• de Quervain's disease
• Dupuytren's disease
• arthritis of the hand and wrist
• cysts, ganglia and tumours
• wrist and scaphoid fractures and non-unions
• hand and finger fractures and other injuries
- Alison Taylor
- 66b High Street Great Baddow CHELMSFORD CM2 7HH
- 01245 241348
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Martin E Davis Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon
Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust
Essex CM1 7ET
Mountaineering and ski touring.
Numerous publications in the hand surgical and orthopaedic trauma literature.
- BA(Hons) Cambridge University 1982
- MA MB BChir Cambridge University 1985
- Fellowship The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1990
- Fellowship The Royal College of Surgeons of England 1990
- Fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgery The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1995
- Senior Registrar and Fellow in Hand Surgery The British Society for Surgery of the Hand 1993
- Fellow in Hand and Wrist Surgery, University Clinic, Innsbruck, Austria Arbeitsgemeinschaft fuer Osteosynthesefragen 1996
Reference number 3075973
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Senior Lecturer Barts and The London Medical School, Queen Mary University of London 2018
- Professional Surgical Examinations Assessor Intercollegiate Committee for Basic Surgical Education 2018
- Examiner Intercollegiate Speciality Board in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register for Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, 1996
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the British Orthopaedic Association.
Member of the British Society for Surgery of the Hand.
Member of the British Trauma Society.
Member of the Orthopaedic Trauma Society.
Member of AO-UK (Arbeitsgemeinschaft fuer Osteosynthesefragen).
- Springfield Hospital, CM1 7GU
- 18:00 - 21:00
- 01245 241348
- The Chelmsford, CM2 0PP
- 08:00 - 14:00
- 01245 241348
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
During business hours 01245 241348
Outside business hours 01245 234000