- Fee assured
- Verified this account
A supra-specialist knee surgeon with over 20 years' experience in treating patients regionally and nationally with all kinds of complex knee conditions. Many of his referrals are tertiary in nature from other consultant orthopaedic surgeons.
Mr Hui qualified from Cambridge University and the Royal London Hospital and completed a fellowship in Trauma and Knee surgery in the USA before commencing his post as a consultant in Middlesbrough.
Mr Hui regularly takes part and teaches on national courses on knee surgery and was a clinical advisor for the Healthcare Commission. In addition, he chaired the British Orthopaedic Directors Society and sat on the Council of the British Orthopaedic Association. He is currently Hon. Secretary for British Association for Surgeons of the Knee (BASK)
Areas of interest
Sports injuries; cruciate ligament reconstructions; knee replacements; complex and re-do knee replacements; hip replacement; knee arthroscopy; chondroplasty; hip and knee surgery
- Chris Fox
- Park View Medical Centre 276 Marton Road MIDDLESBROUGH TS4 2NS
- 01642 242357
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Kyaw Tint Fee Assured
- Dr Rakesh Bhandary Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough
1. Autologous Chondrocyte - Transplantation for joint cartilage repair
2. Research on different designs of knee replacement including 'mobile bearing' and 'high flexion' designs
3. Investigator for performance of the new "Attune" knee replacement
4. Leading research in 'idiopathic anterior knee pain' na s"patella instability"
5. Heel fracture and hip fracture treatment
6. Venous thrombo-embolism after trauma and joint replacement surgery#
7. Investigator for "Attune" revision knee replacement system.
Mr Hui was one of the team of surgeons who provided match day medical support for Middlesbrough Football Club and has treated many high level sportsmen
Clinical Excellence Award
" The Healing of Closed Tibial Shaft Fracture - The Natural History of Union With Closed Treatment." A. Hui, JBJS 1988; 70-B 787-90.
" Internal Fixation or Hemiarthroplasty for Undisplaced Fractures of the Femoral Neck in Octogenarians" A. Hui et al. JBJS 1994; 76-B: 6: 891-894
"Plasma D-dimers as a Marker for Postoperative Deep Vein Thrombosis - A study after total hip or total knee arthroplasty" A.Hui et al. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 1994; 72(5): 663-5
"Graded Compression Stockings in the Prevention of DVT After Hip and Knee Replacement" A. Hui et al. JBJS 1996; 78-B: 550 - 554
“Graded Compression Stockings in Elective Orthopaedic Surgery” Best AJ, Williams S, Hui ACW. JBJS 2000; 82-B 116-118.
“ A Radiological Technique for the Assessment of Wear in Prosthetic Knee Replacements” Hide IG, Grainger AJ, Hui A, Skeletal Radiol(2000) 29:583-586
“Conservative versus operative treatment for displaced ankle fractures in patients over 55 years of age.” Makwana N, Bhowal B, Harper W, Hui A. JBJS 2001, Vol 83-B: 525-529
“ Interobserver variations in intra-articular evaluation during arthroscopy of the knee” Hui A. JBJS 2002; 84-B 48-49.
“A comparative study of MRI and clinical findings in diagnosis of internal derangements of the knee” V. Kumar, A. C. Hui. J.Orthopaedics 2005;2(4)e5
“The knee skyline radiograph: its usefulness in the diagnosis of patello-femoral osteoarthritis.” Bhattacharya R, Kumar V, Hui AC.
Int Orthop. 2007 Apr;31(2):247-52. Epub 2006 Jun 17.
“Biomechanical testing of the locking compression plate: when does the distance between bone and implant significantly reduce construct stability?” Ahmad M,Hui AC. Injury. 2007 Mar;38(3):358-64. Epub 2007 Feb 12
“Comparison of autologous transfusion drains versus no drains in total knee arthroplasty” Jones A, Hui AC. Acta Orthop. Belg., 2007,73,377-385
“Incidence of deep-vein thrombosis in patients with fractures of ankle treated in a plaster cast” Patil S, Hui AC. JBone Joint Surg [Br] 2007, 89-B: 1340-1343.
“An electromyographic exploratory study comparing the difference in the onset of hamstring and quadriceps contraction in patients with anterior knee pain” S Patil, ACW Hui. The Knee 18 (5), 329-332
“Idiopathic anterior knee pain in the young. A prospective controlled trial.” Patil S, Hui AC. Acta Orthop Belg. 2010 Jun;76(3):356-9.
Courses offered to GPs
"Diagnosis and treatment of knee pain"
"Sports knee injuries"
"Middlesbrough soft tissue knee injury and rehabilitation course"
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://wwww.njrcentre.org.uk
- MA (Cantab) Cambridge University 1983
- MB, BChir (London) The Royal London Medical College 1985
- FRCS (Orth) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1990
- Trauma Fellowship Shock Trauma Centre, Baltimore 1997
Reference number 3072200
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Elected Council Trustee British Orthopaedic Association 2014
- Honorary Secretary British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK) 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedics, 1997
Affiliations / memberships
1. British Orthopaedic Directors Society (Chairman from 2008-2010)
2. British Orthopaedic Association Council
3. British Association of Surgeons of the Knee
- BMI Woodlands Hospital, DL1 4PL
- 17:30 - 19:00
- 01325 341700
- Nuffield Health Tees Hospital, TS20 1PX
- 12:30 - 14:00
- 01642 360100
- Park View Medical Centre 276 Marton Road...
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01642 242357
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details