- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
Consultant adult cardiac surgeon at Southampton General Hospital since 1998. Trained in London at the Harefield Hospital, Hammersmith Hospital and the Middlesex Hospital in cardiac surgery. Undertook research with the support of a British Heart Foundation grant in the area of the pathophysiology of heart lung bypass. Authored 3 textbooks on cardiac surgery and published more than 150 research articles. Currently Professor of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Southampton with interest in biology of bicuspid valve disease and the impact of diabetes on aortic stenosis.
Areas of interest
Aortic valve surgery, aortic root surgery, coronary surgery with and without cardiopulmonary bypass, mitral valve repair and replacement surgery. Surgery for atrial fibrillation. Surgery for tricuspid valve disease. Surgery for infections of the heart valves and redo surgery.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon,
University Hospital Southampton NHS Trust
Pathophysiology of cardiopulmonary bypass
Biology of bicuspid valve aortic disease
Biology of diabetic aortic stenosis
Hiking and gardening
Professor of Cardiac Surgery
University of Southampton
More than 150 publications.
3 textbooks on cardiac surgery, which are best sellers in my specialist field
- FRCS(England) Royal College of Surgeons, England 1989
- FRCS(Edinburgh) Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 1989
- FRCS(Glasgow) Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow 2018
- FRCSCTh Intercollegiate College for Cardiothoarcic Surgery 1996
- MB BS University of Lnndon 1985
- MD University of Lnndon 1994
Reference number 3067473
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiothoraic Surgery, 1996
Affiliations / memberships
1. Member of the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery for GB & Ireland
2. Member of the Society for Thoracic Surgery (USA)
3. Member of the British Medical Association
4. Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, England
5. Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
6. Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow
7. Member of the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery
8. Fellow of the European Association of Cardiology
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details