- Fee assured
- Verified account
James Smith is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon with subspecialty training in knee and hip surgery. His practice includes knee and hip replacement, ligament reconstruction and keyhole surgery. He has an interest in treating sports and traumatic injuries and as a Founder Member of the British Society of Lifestyle Medicine, he understands how orthopaedic conditions affect patients’ lives, activities and overall wellbeing.
Areas of interest
total knee replacement; partial knee replacement; total hip replacement; knee keyhole surgery; knee ligament reconstruction; ACL reconstruction; sports injuries; trauma surgery; cartilage and soft tissue procedures
- Lauren Bonner
- BMI The Winterbourne Hospital Herringston Road Dorchester DT1 2DR
- 07923 005326
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Mark Pulletz Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic & Trauma Surgeon
Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, UK
Mr Smith maintains an active and ongoing medical research interest, staying current with new diagnostics and treatments offered. He has published extensively in peer-reviewed medical journals and regularly speaks at Orthopaedic conferences and events.
Please see his profile at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Smith60
Mr Smith lives in Dorset with his wife, a local GP. They enjoy an active lifestyle in the countryside and can frequently be found out on their tandem or at a local Parkrun at the weekends.
KSSTA Journal Best Paper for the year 2012-2013 for my publication on knee osteotomy surgery.
Winner of The Engineer magazine’s 'Technology and Innovation Awards 2010', for collaboration with University and Industry partners during my doctorate research degree.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://surgeonprofile.njrcentre.org.uk/SurgeonProfile?gmccode=6074189
- Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours (BSc) University of Southampton 2002
- Bachelor of Medicine (BM) University of Southampton 2003
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons England (MRCS) Royal College of Surgeons England 2007
- Doctor of Medicine (DM) University of Southampton 2013
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons England (FRCS Tr&Orth) Royal College of Surgeons England 2015
- British Association for Surgery of the Knee (BASK) Knee Fellowship Royal Bournemouth & Christchurch Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust 2016
- Lower Limb Arthroplasty and Trauma Fellowship North Shore Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand 2017
Reference number 6074189
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery, 2016
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons, England
General Medical Council - GMC no. 6074189
Medical Protection Society
British Orthopaedic Association
British Orthopaedic Research Society
British Medical Association
British Society of Lifestyle Medicine
The Private Practice Register
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
BMI Winterbourne Hospital - 01305 263252
Greenwood Service at Dorset County Hospital -
01305 263252 or 01305 255113