- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 15 Jul 2020
Mr Shahme Farook completed his Medical Degree at University of Aberdeen in 2001 and his Dental Degree in 2010 at Kings College, London. He undertook his specialty Oral and Maxillofacial Training at University College London Hospital, Great Ormond Street Hospital, Northwick Park Hospital and Royal London Hospital. He was awarded a Fellowship in 2018 and went on to complete his sub-speciality training in Head & Neck and Reconstruction Surgery. He was appointed as an Oral & Maxillofacial/Head & Neck Reconstruction Surgery Consultant at Northwick Park Hospital, London in 2019.
His subspecialty interests include management of head and neck tumours, dental alveolar treatment, implantology, maxillofacial trauma and salivary gland pathologies.
Mr Farook has significant interest in research and teaching, and has presented at both national and international conferences. His research has been published in surgical journals and he has authored book chapters in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. He has been part of the international faculty in courses involving management of facial trauma and Head & Neck free flap reconstruction.
He is a keen cricketer and has represented his school and university at national competitions. Currently he plays in the Hertfordshire Cricket League.
Areas of interest
Management of Head and Neck Cancer
Management of Facial Trauma
Dental Alveolar Treatment
Management of Salivary Gland Pathologies
Management of Skin Malignancies in head and neck
Current NHS consultant posts held
Mr Shahme Farook
Consultant Maxillofacial, Head & Neck and Reconstruction Surgeon
MBChB, BDS, BSc (Hons), MRCS, MFDS, FRCS (OMFS), MSc
Northwick Park Hospital
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust
Watford General Hospital
West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust
Head and Neck Cancer
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Sinhala, Sinhalese - Native or bilingual
- Tamil - Fluent
1. Farook S. Chapter 94; Controversies in Office-Based Surgery. Maxillofacial Surgery: 2 Edition
2. Awal D, Jaffar M, Charan G, Ball R, Kennedy G, Thomas S, Farook S, Mills C, Ayliffe P. Costochondral grafting for paediatric temporomandibular joint reconstruction: 10-year outcomes in 55 cases. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2018, Nov 47(11): 1433-1438.
3. Farook S, Mistry A, Hussain M, Crimmins D. A Case Report of a Cervical Exostosis and Spinal Cord Compression in a Child with Trichorhinophalangeal Syndrome II. Journal of Pediatric Neuroradiology. 2016 Jan.
4. Farook SA, Patel C, Puri S, Maqbool A, Sadiq Z, Visavadia B. Use of surgical loupes among oral and maxillofacial surgery specialist trainees/registrars in United Kingdom. Microsurgery. 2015 Jan 29
5. Farook SA, Shah V, Lenouvel D, Sheikh O, Sadiq Z, Cascarini L. Guidelines for management of sodium hypochlorite extrusion injuries. Br Dent J. 2014 Dec;217(12):679-84.
6. Sidebottom AJ, Farook SA, Cascarini L. Current Management of Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disease. J Arthritis 2014, 3:3
7. Farook SA, Davis AJ, Sadiq Z, Dua R, Newman L. A retrospective study of the influence of telemedicine in the management of paediatric facial lacerations. Pediatric Emergency Care (2013);29:912-5.
8. Farook SA, Rihal K, Abdullakutty A, Coombes D. Lost tribe? Awareness of oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMFS) among the general public. British Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery, Jan 2013.
9. Sadiq Z, Farook SA, Ayliffe P. The role of free flap reconstruction in paediatric caustic burns. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Jan 2013.
10. Farook SA, Stokes RJ, Davis AKJ, Sneddon K, Collyer J. The use of Dental Loupes among Dental Trainers and Trainees in the United Kingdom. J Investig Clin Dent. 2012 Oct 25.
11. Sadiq Z, Farook SA, Kalavrezos N, Loyd T. Salivary Compression Phenomena. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 50: 2012; 684-685.
12. Farook SA, Davis AK, Khawaja N, Sheikh AM. NICE guideline and current practice of antibiotic prophylaxis for high risk cardiac patients (HRCP) among dental trainers and trainees in the United Kingdom (UK). British Dental Journal 2012 Aug 24;213(4):E5.
13. Farook SA, Reaper J, Tyagi A. Testicular heterotopia of the lumbar spine. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2012 Jul 17.
14. Farook S.A, Harrison J.D. Recurrent Gallstone Ileus, Case Report and Literature Review. Journal of Abdominal Surgery (2010)
Courses offered to GPs
Actively involved in teaching OMFS/Plastic Surgery and GP Trainees
International Faculty Member for Free Flap Reconstruction Courses and Facial Trauma
Very low infection and readmission rates
- FRCS (OMFS) The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 2018
- MSc Queen Mary's University London 2020
- BSc (Hons) University of Aberdeen 2001
- BDS King's College London 2010
- MRCS The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 2006
- MBChB University of Aberdeen 2001
- MFDS The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow 2012
- Fellowship in Head & Neck Surgery and Reconstruction Northwick Park Hospital 2018
Reference number 6025438
Details of entry to specialist register
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2018
Affiliations / memberships
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
British Association of Head & Neck Oncologists
Head and Neck Optical Diagnostics Society
- Heathbourne RoadBushey HeathBUSHEYWD23 1RD
- 09:00 - 12:30
- 07786 387376
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details