- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 30 Jul 2020
- Shoulder & Elbow
MBBS, Diploma in Orthopaedics, SICOT Fellow(Ortho),MRCS Ed, FRCS Ed (Tr & Orth)
Mr Papanna undertook his General Surgical training from Manchester and Higher Surgical Training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery from Sheffield Rotation. Following this, he was appointed to the internationally acclaimed Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Programme at the Derby Shoulder and Elbow Unit. During his fellowship he gained wealth of experience in shoulder and elbow surgery and dealing with a high volume of complex cases.
On completion of his fellowship programme he travelled to shoulder and elbow centres of excellence in France as a visiting surgeon and gained insight and experience into state of the art surgical techniques from world renowned surgeons.
Mr Papanna aims to provide his patients with a first class outcome through a caring and personally tailored service, delivered in a timely fashion, using proven techniques and prosthesis.
He has several peer-reviewed publications in high impact scientific orthopaedics and trauma journals. He has presented his research work in numerous international and national meetings such as Congress of the European Society for Surgery of the Shoulder and the Elbow, European federation of national association of orthopaedics and traumatology and the British shoulder and elbow society. He has also been invited to speak at various orthopaedic forums on bone substitutes (BMP'S) used in orthopaedic and trauma surgery.
He continues to be actively involved in research and in the department currently, he is leading a Randomised control trail on use of in-space balloons to treat irreparable rotator cuff tears. Further, he is a scientific peer reviewer for various Orthopaedic and trauma journals including British Shoulder and Elbow Journal.
Mr Papanna trains future orthopaedic surgeons, junior doctors and medical students at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals. In addition, he is the lead for the advance clinical practitioners in the orthopaedic department.
He is a faculty member on the Chesterfield, Sheffield and Derby FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedic) and Postgraduate orthopaedic clinical courses.Further, he is also an examiner for the medical students.
Areas of interest
Sports injuries with an expertise in arthroscopic (keyhole) shoulder and elbow surgery; shoulder and elbow joint replacement surgery.
GPS Shoulder joint replacement Surgery.
• Arthroscopic Subacromial Decompression
• Acromio-Clavicular Joint Excision.
• Acromio-Clavicular Joint Stabilisation.
• Rotator Cuff Repair.
• Bankart Stabilisation / Arthroscopic capsulo-labral reconstruction.
• Latarjet Stabilsiation / Coracoid transfer stabilisation.; Long head of Biceps Tenodesis
• Capsular release and manipulation under anaesthetic.
• Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior (SLAP) repair.
• Primary Shoulder Replacement.
• Revision shoulder replacement
• Complex primary and Revision shoulder surgery
• Steroid (Cortisone) injections/PRP (plasma rich protein) injection for tennis & golfers elbow
Tennis & Golfers Elbow release
• Nerve decompressions
• Radial head replacements
• Elbow instability surgery
• Primary Total Elbow Replacement
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Orthopaedic Shouder and Elbow Surgeon
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Doncaster DN2 5LT
Spending time with my young family
1. Papanna MC, Chebbout R, Buckley S, Stockley I, Hamer A
Infection and failure rates following total hip arthroplasty for septic arthritis: a case-controlled study.Hip Int. 2017 Oct.
2.Papanna MC, Tafazal S, Bell MJ, Giles SN, Fernandes JA.
Femoral neck fractures in osteogenesis imperfecta treated with bisphosphonates.
J Child Orthop. 2017 Jun 1;11(3):01302644239.
3.Papanna MC, Saldanha KA, Kurian B, Fernandes JA, Jones S
The use of recombinant morphogenic protein-2(rhBMP-2) in children undergoing revision surgery for persistent non-union.
Strategies Trauma Limb Reconstr. 2016 Apr;11(1):53-8.
4.Elsharif M, Papanna M, Helm R.
Long-term follow up outcome results of Knifelight carpal tunnel release and conventional open release following a departmental randomized controlled trial. A prospective study.
Pol Orthop Traumatol. 2014 May 29;79:67-70.
5.Papanna MC, Al-Hadithy N, Somanchi BV, Khan SA, Wilkes RA. July 2012
The use of bone morphogenic protein-7 (OP-1) in the management of resistant non-unions in the upper and lower limb.
Injury. 2012 Jul; 43(7):01302644239
6. Al-Hadithy N, Domos P, Sewell MD, Papanna MC, Pandit R. May 2012
Cementless surface replacement arthroplasty of the shoulder for osteoarthritis: results of fifty Mark III Copeland prosthesis from an independent center with four-year mean follow-up.
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery
7. Papanna MC, Monga P, Al-Hadithy N, Wilkes RA. Dec 2011
Promises and difficulties with the use of femoral intra-medullary lengthening nails to treat limb length discrepancies
Acta Orthopaedica Belgica; 77(6):01302644239
8. Robinson PM, Papanna MC,Somanchi BV, Khan SA. Nov 2011
High tibial osteotomy in medial compartment osteoarthritis and varus deformity using the Taylor spatial frame – early results
Strategies in Trauma and Limb Reconstruction; 6(3):01302644239
9. Papanna MC; Al-hadithy N; Sarkar J.Dec-2011
Ipsilateral double dislocation of the upper limb. A case study
Journal of Orthopaedic surgery; 19(3):367-9.
10. Al-Hadithy N, Papanna MC, Farooq S, Kalairajah Y. Oct 2011
How to read a postoperative knee replacement radiograph
11. Al-Hadithy N, Mordecai SC, Papanna MC.Nov 2011
An injury in the paediatric elbow .BMJ; PMID: 01302644239
Clinical examination of the elbow : Postgraduate Orthopaedics a on-line orthopaedic educational resource for orthopaedic trainees.
- FRCS (Ed) Trauma and Orthopaedics Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2016
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh 2008
- Travelling Shoulder Fellowship Paris Shoulder Unit, Paris 2017
- Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship Derby and Burton Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust 2018
Reference number 6059995
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council Specialist Register Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
British Elbow and Shoulder Society
British Medical Association
Medical Defence Union
- Thorne RoadDONCASTERDN2 5TH
- 10:00 - 13:00
- 01302 644239
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details