- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
- Interventional cardiology
Dr Violaris graduated from Sheffield University in 1984 and received postgraduate training in Cardiology at King’s College Hospital, London, The John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow and St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington. He gained an MD from Sheffield University and following the award of an International Fellowship by the Wellcome Trust spent 3 years at Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He was subsequently awarded a PhD (Cum Laude) for his research on restenosis after coronary intervention. His research was also awarded the national Synthelabo prize as one of the 3 outstanding Dutch theses that year. He was appointed Consultant cardiologist at the North West London Hospitals NHS trust in January 2002. He provides a general cardiology clinic but also has a special interest in coronary intervention and has published extensively on Coronary angioplasty and stent implantation. He was also instrumental in bringing percutaneous intervention to Northwick Park where we now perform all our interventional procedures providing a safe, high quality service to our local population.
Areas of interest
Coronary and ischaemic heart disease; Interventional cardiology; Chest pain; Coronary stenting; Dyspnea (shortness of breath); Angioplasty
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 3UJ
Acute Coronary Syndromes
Coronary angioplasty and stent implantation
1. El-Gendi H, Violaris AG, Foale RA, Sharma HS, Sheridan DJ. Endogenous local Vascular Endothelial Growth factor production in patients with total coronary occlusions: Further evidence for its role in angiogenesis.
Heart, 2002; 87(2): 158-159.
2. Violaris AG, Thury A, Regan E, Melkert R, Serruys PW. Influence of a history of smoking on short term (6 month) clinical and angiographic outcome.
Heart, 2000; 84(3): 299-306.
3. Violaris AG, Ismail TF, El Gendi H, Foale RA. Influence of serum cholesterol and cholesterol subfractions on restenosis following successful coronary intervention.
Semin Interven Cardiol 1999; 4(3): 111-119
4. Violaris AG. Restenosis following coronary intervention.
Dutch Cardiac Society Journal 1999; 34: 21-22
5. Ozaki Y, Violaris AG, Keane D, Camenzind E, Di Mario C, de Feyter PJ, Roelandt JTRC, Serruys PW. Comparison of coronary luminal quantification obtained from intracoronary ultrasound and both geometric and videodensitometric quantitative angiography pre and post balloon angioplasty and directional atherectomy. Circulation 1997; 96 (2): 491-499
6. Violaris AG, Ozaki Y, Serruys PW. Endovascular stents: a 'break through technology'; Future challenges. Int J Cardiac Imaging 1997; 13: 3-13
My major adverse cardiac event rate following coronary intervention is 1% and below the predicted 1.6% according to my case mix.
- MB, ChB Sheffield University Medical School 1984
- MD Sheffield University 1992
- PhD Erasmus University, Rotterdam 1998
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians, London 2003
- Thorax Centre Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands 1992
Reference number 2915609
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, 1999
- General Internal Medicine, 1999
- 88 Harley Street LONDON
- 14:30 - 16:30
- 020 7255 1895
- BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital, HA1 3RX
- 17:30 - 06:30
- 020 8872 3872
- Consulting Rooms Northwick Park Hospital...
- 17:30 - 06:30
- 020 8869 3112
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr AG Violaris (via hospital switchboard)