- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Behaviour Therapy
- CBT with Exposure and Response Prevention (CBT with ERP)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family Therapy
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Motivational Interviewing
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Trauma focused CBT
I have almost 20 years experience in the assessment and treatment of a wide range of complex psychological, behavioural and emotional problems in primary, secondary and acute care settings.
Since 2009 I have worked as a Psychological Therapist in a NHS Primary Care Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service. From a clinical perspective, my role involves providing treatments recommended by NICE (the National Institute for Clinical Excellence) for people experiencing common mental health difficulties such as depression, anxiety problems, and adult trauma related problems.
This is primarily using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT), Behavioural Activation (BA), Interpersonal Therapy (IPT) and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). In this environment, I've also had training and experience using Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET), Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT), Acceptance and Committment Therapy (ACT) and Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).
With this breadth of experience, I am able to choose from a variety of therapeutic models and integrate them appropriately to meet client need and personality when no standard definitive guidelines exist. I place great emphasis on the therapeutic relationship as a vehicle for change and creating a personalised plan that suits the individual.
Prior to working in IAPT, I was a Clinical Studies Officer for the Mental Health Research Network (MHRN) and Primary Care Research Network (PCRN). However, I missed clinical work and helping people to make positive changes in their lives, so returned to clinical practice.
I have also worked as was a registered mental health nurse (RMN) on inpatient wards and in the community. I specialised in psychosocial interventions for psychosis and family work, having completed the Thorn course. I did my original undergraduate degree in psychology.
I provide 1:1 therapy, facilitate groups and workshops and give supervision and training. On a 1:1 basis I offer both short- and long-term interventions, face-to-face, telephone or online.
Areas of interest
Age 18+; relationship and family issues; childhood abuse; depression; obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD); hoarding; skin picking; trichotillomania; grief and complicated grief; specific phobia; generalised anxiety disorder (GAD); health anxiety; post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); body dsymorphic disorder (BDD); panic disorder; agoraphobia; social anxiety; emetophobia; bulimia nervosa; low self-esteem and confidence; perfectionism; work related issues; long term health conditions; isolation/loneliness; stress; anger.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Rheumatological conditions
Current NHS consultant posts held
The Pompey Centre
8F, Fratton Way
The impact of intergenerational trauma on physical and mental health; how early experience impacts later development; spirituality and mental health.
Under my maiden name (Price):
Price J (2013). Behavioural Activation: An Alternative to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Mental Health Practice, 17, 2, 27-33.
Price J (2012). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy: A Case Study. Mental Health Practice, 15, 9, 26-31.
Price J (2011). Stepping into the Shoes of Service Users. Mental Health Practice, 15, 1, 26-29.
Price J (2011). Cognitive Behaviour Therapy: A Review. Mental Health Practice, 14, 8, 14-18.
Price J (2010). The Role of the Clinical Studies Officer in Project Recruitment. Mental Health Practice, 13, 8, 29-33.
Kingdon D, Price J (2009). Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in Severe Mental Illness. Psychiatric Times, April, 52-55.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Europe Accredited Training EMDR Academy 2018
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT) for Depression Anna Freud Centre 2015
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for Anxiety and Depression University of Southampton 2011
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Psychosocial Interventions for Psychosis (Thorn Course) - First Class Honours (1st) Bournemouth University 2007
- Certificate of Higher Education in Counselling Skills, Theory and Practice University of Southampton 2004
- Postgraduate Advanced Diploma in Nursing, Mental Health Branch University of Southampton 2003
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Second Class Honours, Division 1 (2:1) University of Wales Swansea 2000
- Acceptance and Committment Therapy (ACT) for Self Esteem Workshop Contextual Consulting 2018
- CBT for Body Dsymorphic Disorder (BDD) Training Rob Wilson Ltd 2018
- CBT for Complex Anxiety Disorders Kings College London 2017
- CBT for Complex Trauma Kings College London 2017
- Acceptance and Committment Therapy (ACT) Training Dr Lorraine Bell, Solent Healthcare 2015
- Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) Training The Berkshire Traumatic Stress Service 2015
- Understanding and Coping with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - Group Training The Berkshire Traumatic Stress Service 2015
- Formulation: The Relationship Between Theory and Practice Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2015
- The ABC of GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2015
- Supervision in Cognitive Therapy Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2014
- Interpersonal Processes in Cognitive Therapy Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2014
- Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET) Training Workshop Dr Katy Fazel 2013
- Working with Emotional Dysregulation Dr Lorraine Bell, Solent Healthcare 2013
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Approaches to Eating Disorders and Obesity University of Reading 2013
- Psychological Perspectives in Primary Care (PPiPCare) Charlie Waller Institute 2013
- Teaching 10 Minute CBT in Primary Care: Medically Unexplained Symptoms and Health Anxiety 10 Minute CBT 2013
- CBT as Applied to Insomnia Oxford Health NHS 2013
- Working with Older Adults University of Southampton 2013
- IAPT Supervision Training for High Intensity Supervision University of Southampton 2013
- Train the Trainers - Teaching 10 Minute CBT in Primary Care 10 Minute CBT 2012
- Psychological Perspectives in Primary Care (PPiPCare): Train the Trainer Charlie Waller Institute 2012
- Making Formulations Work Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2012
- Training in Working with Interpreters in a Clinical Context Mothertongue 2012
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) The Rowans Hospice 2011
- Best Practice in Telephone Counselling Training Relate 2012
- CBT Approaches to Treating Anger University of Southampton 2011
- 39th Annual Conference BABCP 2011
- Understanding Clients with Complex Problems Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2011
- Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (PWP) Supervisor Training Charlie Waller Institute 2011
- Using Trauma Focused CBT for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Following Adult Trauma Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre 2010
- Social Phobia University of Southampton 2010
- Patients in Control: Enhancing Recovery and Resilience with the Method of Levels BABCP 2010
- 38th Annual Conference BABCP 2010
- CBT Boot Camp: Building Core Clinical Competencies Cognitive Workshops 2010
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Workshop University of Southampton 2010
- Mental Health Research in the South West West Hub Mental Health Research Network 2009
- Good Clinical Practice Southampton and North and West Hampshire Research and Development Unit 2008
- Approaches and Methods in Clinical Research UK Clinical Research Network 2008
- Randomised Controlled Trials: Design, Conduct and Analysis UK Clinical Research Network 2008
- Advanced Communication Skills for Negotiating Clinical Trial Set Up UK Clinical Research Network 2008
- Valid Informed Consent UK Clinical Research Network 2008
- A Cognitive Behavioural Approach to Stuck Cases A Cognitive Behavioural Approach to Stuck Cases 2008
- Acceptance and Committment Therapy (ACT): Therapy and Research University of Southampton CBT Centre 2008
- Communication Skills for Working in Clinical Trials UK Clinical Research Network 2008
- Introduction to Qualitative Research NatCen Learning 2008
- Enhancing Adherence with Homework Assignments BABCP Southern Branch 2008
- Clinical Assessment and Decision Making: Mental Health University of Southampton 2008
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) Training Hampshire Partnership NHS Trust 2008
- Solution Focused Practice BHF National Centre 2008
- Mentorship for Health and Social Care University of Southampton 2006
- Cognitive Behavioural Approaches in Mental Health Practice University of Southampton 2006
- Creating Successful Behavioural Experiments The Centre for Professional Development in Mental Health 2005
- Constructing a New Self: A Cognitive Therapy Approach to Personality Disorders Cognitive Workshops 2005
- Improving Supervision Skills - A Cognitive Behaviour Perspective The Centre for Professional Development in Mental Health 2005
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and Early Intervention Psychosis The Centre for Professional Development in Mental Health 2004
- Introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) The Centre for Professional Development in Mental Health 2004
Details of entry to specialist register
- Private Practice Register, 2019
Affiliations / memberships
Accredited Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapist in CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) with BABCP (British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies) since 2013.
Practitioner Accreditation with IPTUK (Interpersonal Psychotherapy UK) since 2015.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Europe accredited since 2018.
Until recently, registered with RCN - allowed this to lapse as unlikely to return to practice as a Mental Health Nurse.
- SO19 2PF
- 09:00 - 17:00
- 07493 074997
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details